• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Craftworks Closes in Itaewon
« on: January 27, 2019, 08:49:43 am »
Another iconic watering hole closes its doors in Seoul.  Craftworks was
the flagship of successful microbrew in Korea.  When it first opened you
had to wait in a line almost everyday.  It was a welcome deliverance
from the bright yellow vileness of Hite and Cass.  However, soon after
Craftworks opened, others started up like Magpie, Caligari's, CraftBros etc.
I think Craftwork's beer was still good, but the food and service went
down considerably.  Moreover, it had an outside smoking section that
was completely legal, but which they stopped using.  Strange.

RIP
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:52:11 am by SPQR »

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Craftworks Closes in Itaewon
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 10:44:28 am »
craftworks was fine before there were any other options available, but the beers were still way overpriced and i didn't rate the food that much

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 09:47:01 pm »
I went there once.

Okay brew, high prices, tepid service... why bother? I thought.

I am not surprised it's gone.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:03:52 am »
A catalyst for change, and solidified its place in the development of better beer in the city and country.

Something that always struck me was that every time I visited it seemed like the waiters were on their first day on the job.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:57:09 am »
It has relocated to HBC above Fat Cat. I've been twice- both for events and wouldn't go back either.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:04:21 am »
First time I was there, I was there two times in one night- a first time and a last time.

The craft beer was unremarkable, the food even more so. Same with a lot of craft beers and even some bottled microbrews. If it's not good enough to beat out an established brand name classic, then you better be selling it as your house beer for W2000 a glass like Red Rock or whatever.

I used to be all in on craft beer and then I realized I was just drinking it because it was craft and could either A)Get better taste from an established microbrew or even a popular brand like Guinness or whatever or B)Get drunk for far cheaper on Cass or Hite. I mean seriously, how many craft beers here do you plan a night around? Heck, take that to bottled microbrews and there are not that many where it's like "YEAH, I'm good with stocking my fridge full of this." I mean back home what, it was Two-Hearted, Oberon, Third Coast, some Magic Hat #9, and everything else sort of muddled together unless you were one of those people that drank Old Rasputin constantly or some crap like that. Then you just stuck to some imported classics- Guinness, Kilkenny, Weihenstephaner, Modelo, Pacifico (everyone rips it, but it's good), Tetley, Boddington's, Strongbow, whatever.

As you get older you realize how dumb hipsterism is and the constant struggle in trying to show that you have good taste. Sure try out new things and browse the collection, but eventually you'll realize the Pilsner1785 or Arcadia Golden Ale or Henry David Thoreau's whatever it's pretentiously sold as is really just a more expensive, shittier tasting version of Hite, which is sad. Save it for Scotch and Bourbon.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 09:18:46 am »
Has anyone tried Devil's Table?  Yikes the beers are toooo harsh!  The food looks like it might be good but I didn't try it as I already ate.  I went for the beer sampler and one beer after another was bitter, too acidic, too strong. 

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 01:10:29 pm »
As you get older you realize how dumb hipsterism is and the constant struggle in trying to show that you have good taste.

Yeah, thanks dad.  Couldn't disagree more.  Good food and drink is just that.  Good.  The ingredients,
methods, freshness and attention to detail will always add up to superior taste.  I think the only thing
your age has done is to blunt your palate to quality and dull your senses to the finer things in life.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 01:40:52 pm »
Yeah, thanks dad.  Couldn't disagree more.  Good food and drink is just that.  Good.  The ingredients,
methods, freshness and attention to detail will always add up to superior taste.  I think the only thing
your age has done is to blunt your palate to quality and dull your senses to the finer things in life.
Meh. You say that, but how many micro/craftbrews have you tried over the years? Probably hundreds. How many really stood out? Like I said, maybe half a dozen, probably 6 more if I really thought about it, actually remembered them through the haze.

Food is a little different, but here again you have hipsterness creeping in. "Good" food a lot of times comes from "mom" style cooking rather than hipsterness. Someone who knows their recipe and has it down pat and its sustainably good. Like, I agree when it comes to processed food service crap vs. the genuine article, but that doesn't mean hipster food.

How much hipsterized dreck food is out there? A lot too. Take a look at burgers. Keep on adding different sauces, 4 cheeses, avocado, and 50 other things until its just a soggy pile of mess where you can't even taste the burger. I'd rather have a generic backyard burger off the grill than that overdone crap.

I'm not against it, heck I mentioned Scotch and Bourbon. I'd say coffee applies to this as well. There's a real noticeable gap there.

But yeah, is that Lake Woebegone Golden Summer Ale or your Franz Liszt Pilsner really THAT much better than a Bud/MGD/Hite/whatever generic beer of choice? Is your Steampunk Alley Factory Floor Stout really that much better than a Guinness? 2x better? 3X better? If you couldn't even pick it out of a lineup of 3 other other microbrews in the same class in a blind taste test, it isn't that great.

How do you know a beer is good? Because you say "Holy shit! That's some pretty effing good beer." You remember it, you go out and buy a case of it. You know which bars have it. You always drink it. If it's not one of those, no reason to spend 3X markup on it just to announce to the world what great taste you have. Like anyone gives a shit.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 02:05:47 pm »
I think we need to calm down on the fusion food.  Like how many things need to be made "Mexican."  Kimchi Tacos, Papadum Nachos, Sushi Roll Burritos.   Like seriously, I can give the Korean/Mexican fusion a pass as there have been a few places like the original Vatos in Itaewon that do it well but it's getting a little out of hand with other ethic foods.   

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 02:55:02 pm »
Meh. You say that, but how many micro/craftbrews have you tried over the years? Probably hundreds. How many really stood out? Like I said, maybe half a dozen, probably 6 more if I really thought about it, actually remembered them through the haze.

Food is a little different, but here again you have hipsterness creeping in. "Good" food a lot of times comes from "mom" style cooking rather than hipsterness. Someone who knows their recipe and has it down pat and its sustainably good. Like, I agree when it comes to processed food service crap vs. the genuine article, but that doesn't mean hipster food.

How much hipsterized dreck food is out there? A lot too. Take a look at burgers. Keep on adding different sauces, 4 cheeses, avocado, and 50 other things until its just a soggy pile of mess where you can't even taste the burger. I'd rather have a generic backyard burger off the grill than that overdone crap.

I'm not against it, heck I mentioned Scotch and Bourbon. I'd say coffee applies to this as well. There's a real noticeable gap there.

But yeah, is that Lake Woebegone Golden Summer Ale or your Franz Liszt Pilsner really THAT much better than a Bud/MGD/Hite/whatever generic beer of choice? Is your Steampunk Alley Factory Floor Stout really that much better than a Guinness? 2x better? 3X better? If you couldn't even pick it out of a lineup of 3 other other microbrews in the same class in a blind taste test, it isn't that great.

How do you know a beer is good? Because you say "Holy shit! That's some pretty effing good beer." You remember it, you go out and buy a case of it. You know which bars have it. You always drink it. If it's not one of those, no reason to spend 3X markup on it just to announce to the world what great taste you have. Like anyone gives a shit.
i agree with you but i'd rather pay x2 more not to drink cass/hite/etc. red rock/klous is okay though. although if i go to a craft beer place, it's not somewhere i'd stay all night. 1-2 craft beers is enough before i reach my limit

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 04:37:34 pm »
It actually relocated about a month ago.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 04:59:29 pm »
It actually relocated about a month ago.

Nice of them to let people know.  They could have left a sign on the door.  This shows
quite poor management.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 08:22:01 am »
When CraftWorks opened, it was revolutionary.

Then, they very quickly let their service and product fall off once they became super popular.

Haven't been to CraftWorks in about six years.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 09:20:50 am »
i agree with you but i'd rather pay x2 more not to drink cass/hite/etc. red rock/klous is okay though. although if i go to a craft beer place, it's not somewhere i'd stay all night. 1-2 craft beers is enough before i reach my limit
If I'm only on 1-2 for the night, I'd pay X2 as well(or go Red Rock which is almost the same) or maybe do some fancy beering.

Fitz sucks. Kloud is tolerable but not a big fan. Max is better than Cass/Hite and can still work with some Korean food like those can. OB is more of a drink it on its own for cheap at some hole in the wall. Fitz is trash. There were two other new ones- one was good and the other sucked ballz. Something about cold Red Rock from the pitcher is bad fun.

Anyways, my beef with Craftbeer is like I said, a lot of it just isn't that great. It used to be when I went to a Craftbeer place it was fun, but as things went on it wasn't going, it was "Getting dragged to" and instead of it being new and good, it was "Okay what makes this stand out from the 50 other Porters I've tried?" and realizing after I'd left that none of the beers I'd bothered remembering and that was probably because they weren't worth remembering. These places need to realize that instead of offering 8 different Craftbrews, they need to get the recipe for 1 that blows your mind and they can repeat with consistency and just sell generic beer for everything else. What too often is the case is that I'm ordering their IPA because its the only IPA on the menu, not because its actually a good IPA. Why am I paying 9000 a glass for this when I could go to some place and get a bottle or draft of whatever famous IPA for 6000 that probably tastes better.