Read 456 times

UK Criminal Record Check Now Needs to Be Notarised!
« on: January 24, 2019, 09:24:07 pm »
   A few years ago, just before coming to Korea, I sent my British criminal record check to the Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes, England for the apostille. It went smoothly.
   Recently, having returned to the UK, I needed to apply for another criminal record check. This time the Legalisation Office threw up its hands in horror. It returned my document with a letter that said that they could not possibly have it legalized until I had gone to a UK lawyer to get his or her legal stamp and ink signature. This is adding a layer of bureaucracy to an already costly, and time-consuming process. I am planning to get the document notarized and legalized, although my entry to Korea may be delayed.

My question to British nationals: Did you have to get your criminal record check notarized? What was it like? Did you get documents sent back to you, and did  it effect your job search?

Do Americans and Canadians have to get their criminal record checks notarized?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Re: UK Criminal Record Check Now Needs to Be Notarised!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:02:14 pm »
This is nothing new. British CRC's have always (since 2008 at least) needed to be both notarized and apostilled to be accepted for an E2.

It needs to be done by a notary public that is properly registered with the UK list. I found out the hard way, but a mere solicitor, or the British embassy will not suffice.

I got mine done personally in the UK by contacting a local lawyer. Yes, the whole procedure is a massive pain in the rear, from making an appointment, waiting a week for it to be done, then sending it for apostille, then waiting again. etc etc.

My question to British nationals: Did you have to get your criminal record check notarized? What was it like? Did you get documents sent back to you, and

If you're in Korea you can pay a courier company to get it all done for you- which is actually easier and less stressful than the whole wild goose chase of getting it done on foot in the UK.

did  it effect your job search?

Yes, the ridiculous amount of paperwork and the perfect timing required to coincide landing a nice job with having all your documents up to date hampers the job search considerably.

Catch my drift?

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:07:37 am »
I've used a company called Hague Apostille for UK documents on several occasions. They're not cheap but they're very fast, reliable and have an in-house notary that will stamp it for you before issuing your apostille. It's an extra layer of expense (12) but I don't think it really takes any more time. The international courier service they use to return your documents is - again - expensive, but fast and safe. I hate having to pay so much for stamps on a piece of paper, but in the end it's worth the peace of mind to know that it's been handled correctly and in a timely fashion.

https://www.hagueapostille.co.uk/

By the way, the UK is exceptionally expensive in this regard. I've had to do all this in the US, Korea and Italy, and all these documents and apostilles usually run about $10-20 each. 

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:09:53 am »
Checked when I last did the CRC and it seems in 2009 I got it stamped at the British Embassy in Seoul. Guess they've stopped that process or immigration doesn't accept it anymore.

I did get my original degree photocopied and got that notarized by a notary public and then apostilled.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:15:16 am »
I've used a company called Hague Apostille for UK documents on several occasions. They're not cheap but they're very fast, reliable and have an in-house notary that will stamp it for you before issuing your apostille. It's an extra layer of expense (12) but I don't think it really takes any more time. The international courier service they use to return your documents is - again - expensive, but fast and safe. I hate having to pay so much for stamps on a piece of paper, but in the end it's worth the peace of mind to know that it's been handled correctly and in a timely fashion.

https://www.hagueapostille.co.uk/

By the way, the UK is exceptionally expensive in this regard. I've had to do all this in the US, Korea and Italy, and all these documents and apostilles usually run about $10-20 each.

I used these guys to get a copy of my UK driving licence notarized and apostilled for exchanging for my Korean licence.

Just needed to send them scans of the front and back of my UK licence. Was 76 pounds + 12 pounds delivery to Korea. Bit steep but saved me going through the whole Korean drivers test.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:53:12 am »
They can also do a notarised copy of your degree if you send them a scan, which saves you paying the university for an original copy more than once. It takes a few extra days, though, presumably for the notary to get official confirmation of your graduation.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 12:56:45 pm »
It's always been that way.

Tip for others: the body that issues your CRC will also have an in-house notary public. Call and/or email them and let them know that you would like your document to be notarised before it is sent out to you. Disclosure Scotland for example does this free of charge (at least they did when I last got mine).

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 10:27:59 pm »
Checked when I last did the CRC and it seems in 2009 I got it stamped at the British Embassy in Seoul. Guess they've stopped that process or immigration doesn't accept it anymore..

They stopped recognizing Embassy stamps around June 2010.

the UK is exceptionally expensive in this regard. I've had to do all this in the US, Korea and Italy, and all these documents and apostilles usually run about $10-20 each.

The money is not a problem.

Its the hassle and frustration of having your plans terminated or put on hold for the sake of having to get two silly pieces of paper needlessly stamped over and over again.

Its the time and money you spend on living expenses while you hang around waiting for some functionary to pick up a rubber stamp in some office somewhere as you send these papers on the circumlocution trail.

Its the annoyance of having Korean employers, POE and recruiters repeatedly ask for these same bits of paper, over and over again, with that SBS gleam in their eye as they think they've caught out a dirty foreign criminal, even though you have already submitted these documents countless times.

And having to time the whole paper trail process with getting a good job offer in time to meet visa deadlines.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:39:33 am by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?