Read 346 times

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
Help with house training.
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:28:03 pm »
Anyone got any good ideas about how to house train a dog who just doesn't seem to learn to not pee in the house?  I have done it all with her.  Treats to taking her out many times if she doesn't go.  Any help would be welcomed.  Also, she's had a health check so she isn't sick.  Thanks
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Re: Help with house training.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 07:10:53 pm »
I take it you're using pee pads? If so, why is it a problem? Is she not going on the pads? Our dog has the opposite problem... Not going on the pad when it's freezing outside and the air quality's in the red and I have to drag him out at 11:30pm because he hasn't gone since 3 in the afternoon...

Anyway, when he was young we relied on YouTube a lot for training. Zak George's Dog Training Revolution is a good channel. Have you tried crate training?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:14:49 pm »
Pee or poo.

Say "No" or "Bad" or other negative word you would say loud and forcefully. Then immediately put their nose in it and repeat the word. Then keep hold and lead the dog outside.

It works.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Interweb
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:15 pm »
I take it you're using pee pads? If so, why is it a problem? Is she not going on the pads? Our dog has the opposite problem... Not going on the pad when it's freezing outside and the air quality's in the red and I have to drag him out at 11:30pm because he hasn't gone since 3 in the afternoon...

Anyway, when he was young we relied on YouTube a lot for training. Zak George's Dog Training Revolution is a good channel. Have you tried crate training?

Yes, I am crating her during the day and night. 

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Interweb
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:06:05 pm »
Pee or poo.

Say "No" or "Bad" or other negative word you would say loud and forcefully. Then immediately put their nose in it and repeat the word. Then keep hold and lead the dog outside.

It works.

Doing that can cause them to eat the pooh from what I've read/seen.  Def don't want that. 

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:39:03 am »
Crate training is usually a bit of a miracle worker for all kinds of dog issues, but it sounds like it's slow in coming on this particular one. I can't offer any more specific advice for your problem, but I'll dispense some unsolicited wisdom that I picked up when I was training my little guy. Can't remember who said this, and it seems obvious, but it's a helpful reminder when you're in a frustrating situation. Dogs really, really want to please their owners but they don't know how to do it until they're shown. The owner has to be as clear as possible in letting them know what they approve and disapprove of. They can only read a limited amount of body and verbal clues, so you need to develop a mutually comprehensible language. Once they can read it, they'll love obeying your commands and making you happy. Maybe in your case the peeing indoors will be the last stage of the training. If you can get her to follow some other simple commands first, even the basic sit and roll over type of stuff, then you'll help develop the communication necessary for her to start grasping more complex wishes.

Good luck!

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:35:06 pm »
Pee or poo.

It works.
reminded me of this

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Interweb
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 07:29:55 pm »
Thanks for the extra ideas.  I'll try them all.  Cheers