Read 453 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
In 1994 I was in grad school in Windsor, across the river from Detroit, where a "cat lady" was in the news: her 90+ cats were all euthanized/"mercy" killed in a Detroit evening news story that portrayed the woman as the bad guy and the authorities who killed the animals in her home as the good guys. I was disgusted, .. livid. I spent hours several times a week growing up in middle and high school as a volunteer at a  local SPCA in a Western Canada small city. I strived to show affection for every cat (and most dogs) at the center.

NOW I HEAR A KOREAN ANIMAL CARETAKER HAS KILLED A LOT OF ANIMALS, FOR CONVENIENCE?!

One person killed 230 dogs:
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190118000472

But her heart was in the right place, eh? Ugh.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:57:38 am by VanIslander »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Killing rescued animals??? "Rescued"... from suffering to death!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:03:59 am »
I have no problem with that.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:39:29 am »
Basic practice for all animal rescue organizations in the west. Including the RSCPA and SPCA.

The animals get 2 weeks to a month, depending on available space, and if nobody adopts them
they are put down.  What else can be done?  There are not infinite resources for this problem.
Also, after a while, the number of stray animals declines to such an extent that it is not a big
problem anymore.

Korea should do this.  Korea should also do a lot of things but the level of governance and
enforcement in this country is not very high.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:47:42 am »
I
I have no problem with that.

Did you read the article?

The issue isn't euthanasia, I'm very much an animal person (have 2 cats in my apartment), if an animal isn't adopted it's not pleasant, but the humane and pragmatic thing to do is to put it down... humanely, of course.

The issue is fraud. The owner, or manager, of the animal shelter marketed her organisation as never euthanizing animals, even if they aren't adopted. She received donations from people who understood that not euthanizing animals would mean they'd need to be housed. She took the money and secretly euthanized the animals, that's fraud and embezzlement.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 11:44:22 am »
Those stray dogs could have been fine eats for some local seniors...

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 09:27:06 pm »
The issue is fraud. The owner, or manager, of the animal shelter marketed her organisation as never euthanizing animals

True, although that's not what the OP was reacting to.
He was upset at the euthanasia.

Basic practice for all animal rescue organizations in the west. Including the RSCPA and SPCA.

Agreed and rightly so.

Stray cats and dogs are a sad sight but they are the scourge of many countries, doing untold damage to the native fauna.

Australian Feral Cats Eat More Than a Million Reptiles Per Day
A new study shows cats snack on 258 reptile species, and could push some to the brink of extinction
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/feral-cats-eat-million-australian-reptiles-day-180969447/
Catch my drift?