Read 1252 times

Living in a ground (first) floor apartment?
« on: January 10, 2019, 06:08:06 pm »
I'm getting a bit tired of my current apartment, which is becoming cluttered and has a horrendous parking situation. I'm also planning to become a full-time tutor next year, and I'll need a better space for teaching groups if all goes well.

I've been keeping an eye on my options for moving house in the local area, and I've found a 30ish평 apartment well within my budget, with good underground parking. It's also on the ground (first) floor, which would be great if I was teaching groups and wanted to avoid noise complaints.

I'm thinking about going to look tomorrow, but I'm a little concerned about how noisy it would be to live in a ground floor apartment. The way the building is designed has people standing right outside the door when waiting for the elevator, similar to the building I live in now. One first floor neighbour told me the noise drove her crazy, but I guess I could have some sort of soundproofing installed to deal with that. A bigger concern, however, is noise coming through windows. I don't really see a solution for a rented property.

There's an even bigger apartment in the same building on the 13th floor, but I'm worried about sensitive neighbours below once I start gearing up the tutoring business. I'm not good at dealing with people complaining to me, and I wouldn't want someone trying to mess with a business I was trying to build.

Does anybody have experience of ground floor living, or running a tutoring business (inc. groups) with a downstairs neighbour?

Re: Living in a ground (first) floor apartment?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 02:23:31 pm »
My last apartment was on the ground floor and I didn't hear much during the day but every morning around 7am a neighbour would rev his BMW loudly for several minutes, that made the place unbearable for me. Had quite a few cockroaches there too. Also, the air was really humid, so you might need a decent dehumidifier (제습기) to keep it under control.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 05:43:13 pm »
Pipes can freeze in the winter.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:16 pm »
I've lived on the ground (first) floor in 2 different apartments before. At the first ground floor place, it was somewhat noisy -- nothing that bad, but I could often hear my neighbors next door (it seemed like they were kind of a big family with young elementary-school-age kids). But at the other place, I didn't really hear much noise that much except for my landlord's dog barking sometimes (but that place had other problems unrelated to noise).

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:36:30 pm »
It's going to be noisy. Hopefully there's no parking near it. I had that situation and it was very noisy.

Everybody going into and coming out of that building is going to pass by your door at all hours of the day and night.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:54:01 pm »
probably going to be noisy. i mean, korea is so ****** noisy anyway, i wouldn't worry about noise from teaching, so just live a few floors up

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:35:57 pm »
I found that my heating bill was highest when I was on the ground floor with no heated apartment below me.
In my other places, I barely turned on the hear at all.

I didn't find noise to be any different from my 4th or 5th floor places in the same area.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 12:08:11 am »
Actually just bought a ground floor apartment.  I think it is great.
No more elevators!  No more worrying if the kids are driving the
neighbors nuts.  Actually ours is quite warm.  Have to turn down
heating at night.  It is also nice seeing trees outside our windows.
We have a study room, so it is also great for business.  Friends
with similar first floor businesses have told us of 50% increases
in student numbers.  Hopefully this phenomenon will happen to
us.  Downsides?  Much lower natural light levels.  But that is
about all I can think of.  I have another friend who went whole hog
and built a deck outside his apartment.  He has a BBQ and smoker.
He actually wanted to put up a meat hook and slaughter suckling
pigs. Then gut, butcher, smoke and eat them.  Considering he lives
in a major metropolitan area, this may not have been appropriate.

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 07:00:25 am »
There is a reason why first floor apartments go for about 10% less than higher floors. Actually there are many reasons. As others mentioned it: noise, less natural light, bugs, humidity, heating?,  lack of cross breeze. In addition, I would also point out that everyone would be able to see inside your place. Sure, at night you would use curtains. But during daytime, anyone passing can see inside your living room.
The noise from people using the elevator wouldn't be much of an issue if there is a shoe area and another door separating that from the living room. If it's an older place and the front door opens right into the living room, then you can expect a lot of noise.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:06:10 am by Lazio »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 08:59:39 am »
There is a reason why first floor apartments go for about 10% less than higher floors. Actually there are many reasons. As others mentioned it: noise, less natural light, bugs, humidity, heating?,  lack of cross breeze. In addition, I would also point out that everyone would be able to see inside your place. Sure, at night you would use curtains. But during daytime, anyone passing can see inside your living room.
The noise from people using the elevator wouldn't be much of an issue if there is a shoe area and another door separating that from the living room. If it's an older place and the front door opens right into the living room, then you can expect a lot of noise.

The “people looking in” was never an issue, since there was a wall.

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 04:05:20 pm »

The “people looking in” was never an issue, since there was a wall.

Yeah, it depends on the layout of the complex. But it is fairly common to have foot traffic literally 2-3 meters outside the window, especially in older apartment buildings. I have seen plenty of it in more recently built ones as well. That is just something I wouldn't like.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 06:03:03 pm »
I went to look today, and it was not pleasant. The apartment was in poor condition, the stairwell was very noisy, and the parking situation was not as good as I expected. Additionally, the people who lived there apparently didn't understand the notion of cleaning. There was some tissue on the floor for their dog to use as the bathroom, with two yellow stains and... dog poo. There's not enough bleach in the world.

Much of the extra space from being 30평 was taken up by an unnecessarily large living room. I'd really have liked a better kitchen and bigger bedrooms, especially if one could be used solely as a study room in the future.

I think I'm going to look at apartments on higher floors, with the understanding that I'll probably need to install underfloor padding once I start full-time tutoring.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 10:40:17 am »
Actually just bought a ground floor apartment.  I think it is great.
No more elevators!  No more worrying if the kids are driving the
neighbors nuts.  Actually ours is quite warm.  Have to turn down
heating at night.  It is also nice seeing trees outside our windows.
We have a study room, so it is also great for business.  Friends
with similar first floor businesses have told us of 50% increases
in student numbers.  Hopefully this phenomenon will happen to
us.  Downsides?  Much lower natural light levels.  But that is
about all I can think of.  I have another friend who went whole hog
and built a deck outside his apartment.  He has a BBQ and smoker.
He actually wanted to put up a meat hook and slaughter suckling
pigs. Then gut, butcher, smoke and eat them.  Considering he lives
in a major metropolitan area, this may not have been appropriate.
Is yur friend Cousin Eddie?

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 11:18:25 am »
Do you need permission to be able to teach groups in your home?

As for the noise that your students would make; I know if I were living below you and got wind of what you were doing I would be really p*ssed so be prepared to deal with neighbours if you can't make it quiet.

Just see if eggieguffer's building has any openings  :wink:

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 11:36:10 am »
probably going to be noisy. i mean, korea is so ****** noisy anyway, i wouldn't worry about noise from teaching, so just live a few floors up
wait. you mean tutoring kids, not adults, right? then, yeah, might be a bit noisy!

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 01:49:54 pm »

As for the noise that your students would make; I know if I were living below you and got wind of what you were doing I would be really p*ssed so be prepared to deal with neighbours if you can't make it quiet.

We have a registered business.  We have the correct licenses placed in the correct places.
We also have our tax certificate on display.  If our neighbors don't it like they can go and
%$#@ themselves.  Unless we are breaking a noise law (i.e. 11PM) then they can't
complain about anything.  This is still a country ruled by law and not whimsy.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 02:00:23 pm »

We have a registered business.  We have the correct licenses placed in the correct places.
We also have our tax certificate on display.  If our neighbors don't it like they can go and
%$#@ themselves.  Unless we are breaking a noise law (i.e. 11PM) then they can't
complain about anything.  This is still a country ruled by law and not whimsy.

Well aren't your neighbours lucky people then.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 05:34:56 pm »
I've found a really nice apartment in a fairly new building. It's first floor and clearly well built. The owners said that running a business teaching English would be acceptable, but that I'd have to repair any damage (obviously).

The rent is very high by small city standards, but I expect there would be a lot more potential customers there than in the run-down building I currently live in. A lot of students from my school live in the nice building, which sounds like a downside, but it might be a positive once I become a freelancer and have people to vouch for my teaching ability and personality.

wait. you mean tutoring kids, not adults, right? then, yeah, might be a bit noisy!

Both adults and kids.