Read 1843 times

• hippo
  • Veteran

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
If anyone has successfully  left to their home country after a long stint here relatively recently, I would love t here it.  I am brainstorming ideas to switch careers (even teachig back here is a switch from teaching here) and would to hear stories about how other have succeeded.  More than 10 years and I need a change, but it is harder to shift back than it was to come come here.

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Korealand
Re: Changing careers/Going to one’s home county or another country
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 08:05:31 am »
Leaving at the beginning of Feb to a federal position back home.

Been here 19 years.   

My new gov't contract is for 6 years.

You have no clue how much I'm looking forward to returning to dark blue skies, clean air, & a proper career with excellent pay benefits.

I have yet to meet anyone who's lived in Korea for an extended period of time to get a public service position.  Most have gone into the private sector with poor pay after returning to then returning to Korea to gain some sense of income that they were unable to compete for back home.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:45:28 am by KoreaBoo »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 09:24:42 am »
I've lost contact with most people who've left. Of the main group i still do talk to:
-One guy got a job at the Ministry of Trade and Enterprise.
-2 did their pgce or equivalent and are working as teachers in state schools.
-One got a job as a claims assessor at an insurance company
-One works at a finance company. For car loans and hire purchases
-The guy i talk to the most has set up an exporting  business with his (korean) wife and is back and forth between here and Australia like 5 times a year. He stays pretty tight lipped about what exactly it is they import/export. Think its something to do with seafood.

There are others i hear about through the grapevine but dont talk to directly. Someone went back to uni and retrained as a radiologist. Someone opened a industrial hire company with their dad. I guess others i don't hear about are just doing random jobs.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 10:55:13 am »
Leaving at the beginning of Feb to a federal position back home.

Been here 19 years.   

My new gov't contract is for 6 years.

You have no clue how much I'm looking forward to returning to dark blue skies, clean air, & a proper career with excellent pay benefits.

I have yet to meet anyone who's lived in Korea for an extended period of time to get a public service position.  Most have gone into the private sector with poor pay after returning to then returning to Korea to gain some sense of income that they were unable to compete for back home.
[/b]

Good to know that you don't need the ability to form proper sentences to get a government job.  +1 for big government and -1 to all those shitty low-paying private sector positions that send people running back to Korea.  The USA is going down the toilet long term.  Once gov't jobs are way more attractive than private sector jobs, it's a sign of things to come.  Anyways congrats to you for finding a gov't job tit to suck off.   Tell us more about how you landed such a position.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 11:43:52 am »
Tell us more about how you landed such a position.

Yes, get him to tell us again why he's so great and everyone else on here's a loser. It's been a couple of months
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:47:08 am by eggieguffer »

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 02:33:14 pm »
Tell us more about how you landed such a position.

Yes, get him to tell us again why he's so great and everyone else on here's a loser. It's been a couple of months

He’s been working on going back for over six years, so I guess persistence is a key attribute.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• Korealand
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 03:14:12 pm »
I'd say persistence is a contributing factor.

Better to be persistent & succeed than resign one's fate to remain here breathing toxic air with the idea that starting a children's hogwan using money given to me by my in-laws and calling myself a business success wouldn't it?

Breathe deeply.   

This is as good as it gets for some of you.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 03:19:48 pm »
Good to know that you don't need the ability to form proper sentences to get a government job.

Better to be persistent & succeed than resign one's fate to remain here breathing toxic air with the idea that starting a children's hogwan using money given to me by my in-laws and calling myself a business success wouldn't it?

Goodness, he's at it again.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:20:11 pm »
^ haha. him again

edit: koreaboo, not eggie

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• Korealand
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 03:24:10 pm »
^ haha. him again

edit: koreaboo, not eggie

Not really. 

I'm just very happy.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 03:32:59 pm »
@koreaboo - What government job will you be doing?

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 03:37:44 pm »
@koreaboo - What government job will you be doing?

Shame he missed the boat on speech writing for George W, he'd have been perfect.  :smiley:

• hippo
  • Veteran

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 04:38:42 pm »
The intent behind my question was to hear successful stories regarding all aspects of transitioning.   I can find and know examples where people were disappointed by experiences going back home, so I do not really need anything on that fromt.

I realize people are far less likely to look at this site—assuming they look at all—but I thought it was worth a shot.  Sone people could know people who had made the transition, so that was a possible way to find information about people who don’t follow much here, too. Just trying to gather as much information as possible.  I ama cautious person.   I have sufficient resources to at least start from bejng frugal.

Primarily I was inter in constructive information.  Frankly, just looking for confirmation of successful stories I have heard about people who have returned.

Thank you Zola most of all.

Do any more people have constructive information?

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 05:15:48 pm »
Interestingly, the people I know that have been successful didn't study/re-train prior to returning or when they returned. They just returned home, got a job, put their nose down and climbed their way up the ladder.

I think most people could pull this off if they are not shy of hard work and have a bit of nous.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 01:15:06 pm »
It must be horrendous trying to raise kids in the West.

Our countries are saturated with drugs. I knew fentanyl was a problem but there is some new “zombie” drug going around.

https://youtu.be/7xu3RO4l1EA

Interesting that China has zero tolerance towards drugs but according to the above video this dog feces that people put into their veins is manufactured there.

You better make sure you can afford a home in a good neighbourhood if you go home is all I can say.

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 01:19:38 pm »
I've lost contact with most people who've left. Of the main group i still do talk to:
-2 did their pgce or equivalent and are working as teachers in state schools.

[/. They found nirvana

https://youtu.be/Xq_mveIM8BM

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 02:22:43 pm »
Not even going to watch that video. (Won't get fooled again.) I'm guessing it's about a way below average school district. (Meaning not representative of the norm.)

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 02:25:55 pm »
Our countries are saturated with drugs.

Alcohol causes more deaths than drugs. True fact. Look it up.

You think China, with it's air pollution and secondhand smoke, is a healthier alternative?

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 02:29:34 pm »
You better make sure you can afford a home in a good neighbourhood if you go home is all I can say.

This I agree with. Average and above average neighborhoods in the United States are good places to live / raise kids. Below average impoverished places are not. So better save up your ESL cash to get a nice house.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 02:50:11 pm »
Overall the West is getting better. The world is getting better, too. Less crime, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCm9Ng0bbEQ