Read 452 times

Is 120 hours the new standard for TEFL?
« on: January 03, 2019, 05:57:23 am »
So,are schools are programs only asking for applicants with 120+ hour TEFL certificates?

Mine was 96, but it seems like every TEFL course nowadays is 120. I've seen some postings explicitly asking for it, but others that do not specify. What is your take on this?

The reason I am asking is because my university has a 96 hour TEFL course, but a few recent graduates from the program have complained that schools are wanting 120 and they have not been able to find employment. Is this the case or do we just have a few frustrated graduates?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Is 120 hours the new standard for TEFL?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 01:33:38 pm »
Always been 120 hours standard for most TESOLs.  Though there are less ones too.  Get an add on if you can or add on more classroom supervised time to bring it up to 120 hours.  Either that or take the 120 hour again.  It's a pain because they are mostly in big cities and you have to travel there, pay for lodging food flight plus the course itself.  I'd say 5 grand gone.  Sucks.  But do it there because in Korea it will be nigh impossible to get an in class TESOL in English.  You will have to take a couple of months off and do it in either Thailand or Japan.  I am referring to in class TESOLs.  It wasn't required here back in the day so I never got one.  Doing one on a weeknight or weekend at a local school or university is impossible now.  None are offered.  But, if I want to teach in another country, I prob will need one - a real one and not a crappy online one.  If you want to teach in Korea, get a crappy online one and use it along side your classroom one.  I think EPIK only ask for 20 hours in class minimum.  So rest online doesn't matter.  Save a lot of money.

• m.corless
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 08:18:26 pm »
100 hours is still the minimum requirement for public schools in Korea, hagwons can do whatever they want. It seems like a lot of online TEFL/TESOL courses are 120 hour programs these days but I don't think they actually take anywhere close to that long. Busan is the only MOE requiring in-class (50) hours for their pay grid.

Definitely easier to do an in-class course component outside of Korea, but not necessary for the vast majority of jobs.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 05:46:48 am »
The mystery is how do you even get an in class TESOL in Korea?  I looked around and found none.  TESOLs were never required until a few years ago.  So, experience grandfathers me in I guess.