Read 2952 times

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Not renewing = penalty black mark on English teachers
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 05:19:48 pm »
Wow Persimmon14.  May I ask what do you think went wrong with your school?  Why are they so bent out of shape over re-signing you and/or allowing you to transfer to another school.  I remember when I lost funding at my first public school that they went out of their way and made phones calls to a bunch of schools around the province (and a few even outside of of Gyeonggi-do) They managed to land me within Gyeonggi-do for a school that the vps were both good friends with each other.  I also know of another friend of mine who is being transferred to another school, which according to her she says she believe she was let go from her main school because the new principal there didn't like her.  But THEY STILL managed to find her another school in a region close by to her current school.   It seems like your school is really trying to send the hint to you that maybe you should leave Korea all together.  Which to me doesn't seem fair.  :huh:

According to the OP (and also another poster in this thread), it doesn't sound like the situation is specific to the OP's school; it sounds like it's just a recent policy that apparently went into effect for all public schools in Gyeonggi-do. I guess it's just unfortunate/unlucky for NETs at public schools in Gyeonggi-do who wish to stay/renew (whether at the same public school or at a different public school in Gyeonggi-do).

For more clarification.  I was told that Gyeonggi province of education (GPoE) has a policy that does not allow for internal transfers regardless if you renew your contract or not.   WOW.   Other provinces do not have this policy and internal transfer is possible.   This is hard to believe.   I believe this policy came into effect as recent as this past March 2018 school year.

I know that for Gyeonggi-do we were only given the option to either renew with our school or leave.  They took away the option to transfer within the province this year.   You used to be able to transfer within the province w/o re-applying (I'm pretty sure) but this year it was either renew or leave (and re-apply to EPIK all together).

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 09:05:23 am »
I was told the same thing in Chungnam (direct hire with Korean Horizons, not technically an EPIK application).
It sounds like the transfer option depends on provinces.

I know one teacher in my small town (eup 읍) who moved to a different school in the county (gun 군) because their contract ended very close to the time that another teacher was leaving, and they specifically requested with the county education office to move to that school.

My renewal form had only options to renew or not renew at my school. There was no mention of transfer, and when I specifically emailed my recruiter about it, I was told that I would have to reapply through EPIK (or a province) if I wanted to teach in a different place. My request was not about tranferring within the county, but within the province (do 도), which was the office that my application process and Skype interview were conducted through.

The teacher before me actually did reapply and advised me when I inquired about the process that rather than getting all of my documents issued again, I could contact the education office and request the documents from my initial application. Very useful information for anyone who's considering moving from their school. I left it too late in the year (and had already told my school that I would renew) so decided to stay on at my school, but definitely start thinking about getting your documents and reapplying about halfway through your contract if you want options.

OP, that sucks. Sounds very Korean-style last-minute though. I would put it down to this and reforms in the NET system rather than a black mark per se. Try not to stress, you'll figure out a solution ~

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:03 am »
at my old public school there were 3 native teachers (including myself). i worked for SMOE, but the other 2 were direct hires. anyway, we got a new principal and he decided to scrap all english-related stuff at school (who knows why- parents sent their kids to that school BECAUSE it was english-focused). the 2 other native teachers were not going to have their contracts renewed, but they weren't told this. one korean teacher felt bad and let them know (in front of the whole office for some reason, which is insane and unprofessional in itself) a couple of months before their contracts ended. the principal had told the korean staff not to let the native teachers know until a week or so before contract renewal that they were to be let go - for no reason, as far as anyone could work out, apart from the fact the principal is a complete cnut, and he enjoyed making people miserable. it would have made it really difficult for them to find a new position, as they'd have missed the hiring period for most positions.

one of the native teachers had worked at the school for over 10 years, and he was treated like a piece of shit. imagine that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:05:16 am by oglop »

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 10:37:37 am »

one of the native teachers had worked at the school for over 10 years, and he was treated like a piece of shit. imagine that.

Koreans slave away at jobs until they are around 45 and then they get fired and replaced by young people. Korean employers already see Korean workers as replaceable and disposable, combine this attitude with common Korean xenophobia and you see a lot of NETs get treated like garbage. No foreigner in Korea should expect any job to be long-term.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 06:44:27 am »
  I remember reading about a woman who was teaching at a provincial public school. I am not sure if it was the OP, but this person had been at the same Korean school for 6 or 7 years, and was not renewed. Why? "Well, we'd like the kids to experience a different culture," opined the co-teacher. And that was that. She then found that she could not just reapply to EPIK, and she'd have to leave EPIK and when I read that, it seemed rather mean of them to do that. She did try to reason with the co-teacher, explaining she might get blocked by EPIK, and tried to get them to reverse it.

The application process has gotten more bureaucratic, and the starting salary has been 2 million won for at least 10 years. Back when George Dubya Bush was US president, EPIK salaries-at 2 million won, were worth a lot more than now, and middle aged professional people were attracted to teach in Korea-small cities and not Seoul. I did not return to Korea for years. When I returned the EPIK teachers I then met were mostly under 25. The paperwork increases. The salary goes down, and the teachers get younger and fewer.
If I want to go back to Korea now, I have a new criminal record check, but they won't apostille it. Mine was sent back to me saying that because UK criminal record checks are no longer signed by the issuer, I have to take my criminal record check to a lawyer, and show him  supporting documents, get him to verify and sign it, before I apply for an apostille.
I loved my time in Korea. I made a lot of friends whom I miss. I miss Korea too. But is it worth all this hassle?

• reifoo87
  • Veteran

• June 04, 2013, 02:10:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 08:40:39 am »
I'm not sure how different is it, but I'm in GEPIK and a few years ago I decided I wanted to stop working at a middle school and go into Elementary. I told my middle school and they helped me transfer and I had no problems! Perhaps, if someone chooses to leave, it's looked at differently, rather than not being asked to stay? I've also had to transfer to a new school because the English program got cut (at least that's was I was told) and had no trouble with that, either!

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 02:54:57 am »
If I want to go back to Korea now, I have a new criminal record check, but they won't apostille it. Mine was sent back to me saying that because UK criminal record checks are no longer signed by the issuer, I have to take my criminal record check to a lawyer, and show him  supporting documents, get him to verify and sign it, before I apply for an apostille.

Even ten years ago I still had to get my CRC signed and stamped by a notary public (not simply a solicitor) before applying for apostille. It has been this way since at least late 2009.

Not sure what you mean by "supporting documents"?. I had to show the lawyer some ID to prove I was who I said I was, but nothing much more than that I think.

Yes... its a pain. Its easier if you skate on a D10 instead of having to get all new docs every time.

I still enjoy Korea and I'm sure you would too. Although be aware of the rampant ageism in Seoul and the more desirable locations. As you get older, more qualified and more experienced you will be forced into ever more remote and rural locations.

Catch my drift?

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 10:38:26 am »
I'm not sure how different is it, but I'm in GEPIK and a few years ago I decided I wanted to stop working at a middle school and go into Elementary. I told my middle school and they helped me transfer and I had no problems! Perhaps, if someone chooses to leave, it's looked at differently, rather than not being asked to stay? I've also had to transfer to a new school because the English program got cut (at least that's was I was told) and had no trouble with that, either!

Yes, in the past you could do that.  But recently I was told officially that there is a NO TRANSFER POLICY in GEPIK/EPIK in Gyeonggi-do.  So it doesn't matter if I wanted to go to another school by my own choice or if my school didn't want to renew me.  That's the part that makes no sense.  Either way, you get punished basically for not renewing.   I have found another school in my area that I was just recently hired at and will start in March, but I'm still really bothered by the way all this is handled.  If I wasn't so lucky to find another school on my own, I would be out of a job until I apply again next year.  This for being a loyal teacher at one school for 7 contracts and then finally not being renewed as if what? Do they think we are able to stay at one school forever? Eventually everyone will either leave (by choice) or not get renewed (by their school) and when that time comes, you can't apply and work in the same province anymore until you re-apply the next year.  That doesn't make ANY SENSE!

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 10:55:07 am »
  I remember reading about a woman who was teaching at a provincial public school. I am not sure if it was the OP, but this person had been at the same Korean school for 6 or 7 years, and was not renewed. Why? "Well, we'd like the kids to experience a different culture," opined the co-teacher. And that was that. She then found that she could not just reapply to EPIK, and she'd have to leave EPIK and when I read that, it seemed rather mean of them to do that. She did try to reason with the co-teacher, explaining she might get blocked by EPIK, and tried to get them to reverse it.

The application process has gotten more bureaucratic, and the starting salary has been 2 million won for at least 10 years. Back when George Dubya Bush was US president, EPIK salaries-at 2 million won, were worth a lot more than now, and middle aged professional people were attracted to teach in Korea-small cities and not Seoul. I did not return to Korea for years. When I returned the EPIK teachers I then met were mostly under 25. The paperwork increases. The salary goes down, and the teachers get younger and fewer.
I loved my time in Korea. I made a lot of friends whom I miss. I miss Korea too. But is it worth all this hassle?

Yes, that was me.  I still think it's worth it, but I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.   I wish there was more transparency and the process so that I could know the real reason why they didn't want to renew me.  I have a lot of guesses but in the end, we'll never know.  It bothered me when the principal said the reason was just wanting the school and the kids to experience something new, "different culture" as she put it.   Here's why that makes no sense:

1) Elementary schools have only a 6 year window (grade 1 to 6).  6 years itself is NOT that long. Most elementary
    rural schools have trouble keeping their teachers for more than 1 year because they don't want to stay out there
    long. 
2) New Policy: Grade 1 and 2 cannot have english classes anymore. That means I don't even see the grade 1s and
    2s ever.  They never see me, I never see them.  So when they see me in grade 3 for classes, I'd actually be a
    NEW teacher for them and a new experience/culture despite having been in the school building with them for 2
    years.  So the reality now is that Elementary for English is only a 4 year window (Grade 3,4,5,6).  4 YEARS! That's
    not even that long.  So how can the reason be, "I've been here too long" or "time for new experience or new
    "culture"? These kids haven't even had me for more than a couple years.  So that reasoning makes absolutely no
    sense and tells me they aren't being entirely truthful about the reason why I didn't get renewed.
3) The principal is retiring at the end of this month.  She won't even be here next year in March, yet it seems like
     she made the sole decision to not renew me.  If anything, shouldn't the new principal that is coming in have the
     chance to see me and have me for 1 year and then decide if he wants to keep me for the remainder of his
     tenure?  The current principal just came to our school 1.5 years ago so she hasn't even known me that long.
     She's never come into any of my classes to sit in or evaluate.  The only time she visited me was in November
     (twice) for a couple of my early morning "non formal" classes.  I had these 20 minute classes just created by
      the school (not actual classes, not curriculum, not after school) just twice a week and basically it's for when
     the kids arrive to school in the morning and their homeroom teacher is not at school yet or the classroom is locked, so the kids need someplace to be and they decided to make these 20 minute morning english time so I just
took care of them, did some english games or activities until 9:00am.   THAT'S WHEN SHE CAME IN TO VISIT.  Are you kidding? How are you going to get a proper evaluation of me by walking into one of those morning times? Kids are tired, just woke up, wearing their winter coats and bags, we're borrowing the library room to run these morning sessions, and of course it's not going to look good for me...it's rather casual, informal, and just usually doing some english activities.  She came in twice and I saw her, she never said anything.  She only stayed for about 1 minute each time and left.   I won't believe that she would make a decision on me based on that.  I am ranting now so I'll just stop here.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:58:01 am by persimmon14 »