Read 3586 times

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
Re: Best K pop songs in the last ten years
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2019, 02:46:03 pm »
Best Indian Restaurant in Seoul?

"Indian food sucks. How can anyone eat that trash? What are you 14?"
"Well it may not be favorite, but if everyone is going out for Indian, I can get down with some curry and some naan and have a good time. Every cuisine has its time and place."
"Stop telling me what to eat!!!"

Like...seriously...

"Indian food sucks because unlike Korean food where there's meat, most Indian food is vegetarian. Also, they don't use beef."
"Well, there IS vegetarian Indian food, but there's also non-vegetarian Indian food. In fact, a simple search on youtube shows this. And yes they don't use beef, they just emphasize different ingredients. Does your food have paneer? No? Does that make it crap?"
"Well it doesn't suck, but it's throwaway food."
"Well so is kimbap. Nothing wrong with that. Every cuisine has its cheap stuff and trends."
"I don't know how you can classify some of it as food, because so many meals have no meat."
"I think you are coming from a narrow-minded point of view and are using arbitrary criteria to justify your view."
"When did it become so bad simply to not like something. You're judging me. Stop complaining about my complaining."

That's pretty much what has gone on here.

Is the main character in "Split" based on you?

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2019, 02:49:53 pm »
I agree.  The argument that they're different in casual conversation makes no sense.  Unless you're having a conversation with Dwight Schrute, they mean exactly the same thing.
"I think homosexual sex is bad" =/= "I don't like engaging in homosexual sex personally"
"I think eating meat is bad" =/= "I just don't like eating meat personally"

On the other hand...

"I think Return of the Jedi is bad" CAN equal "I don't like Return of the Jedi personally"

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2019, 02:54:14 pm »
It's not about the food specifically. It's about the mindset and willingness to try new things and accept them for what they are and not use your preconceived notions to judge them. And of course, if someone is allergic to cilantro or curry or chili or whatever, that's a little different.

It was also an attempt to show how actually it wasn't the Kpop people who were being closed minded and scared to step out of the box, it was them. I don't think you're a worse person for sticking with tater tots and hot dogs, but if you're going to rip on people for enjoying sushi and curried goat and shwarma, AND call them superficial and immature, yeah some pushback is warranted I think.

So yes, someone said something about being 14, and using the food analogy, I tried to show how they were the ones who were engaging in the equivalent of a 14-year olds food choices. It wasn't a perfect analogy and you highlighted its flaws in logic, so that's fair.

For the record if it wasn't clear enough, I absolutely understood the point you were making, and saw some validity in it. That's why I didn't stick my nose in when you said it, because there was no reason to, haha. It wasn't until the little hypocritical hiccup in the later post that I felt like chiming in.

Also for the record and anyone keeping score, I do not hate K-Pop.  :laugh:
I don't enjoy most of it and find some specific tracks to be nigh unlistenable, but I could listen to Younha and Kim BoKyung all day long and be perfectly content.  8)

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2019, 02:55:58 pm »
I agree.  The argument that they're different in casual conversation makes no sense.  Unless you're having a conversation with Dwight Schrute, they mean exactly the same thing.
"I think homosexual sex is bad" =/= "I don't like engaging in homosexual sex personally"
"I think eating meat is bad" =/= "I just don't like eating meat personally"

On the other hand...

"I think Return of the Jedi is bad" CAN equal "I don't like Return of the Jedi personally"

Yeah I should have said "They mean exactly the same thing, except in other blindingly obvious circumstances".

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2019, 12:50:18 pm »
If you make someone feel bad for enjoying something (a hobby or genre of music/books etc) then you are the ABSOLUTE WORST.

I don't understand why people, with zero interest in the thread subject (K-Pop), come to comment just to say they hate it. Then, when people defend it (it's a thread clearly targeted at K-Pop fans..so they're here) they get all sore like "Oh I'm NOT ALLOWED to not like something?". Blows my mind. There's absolutely no purpose except to be a troll.

• isitts
  • Newgookin

• June 18, 2013, 02:53:00 pm
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2019, 01:13:04 pm »
1. Hair Short by Wings
2. Pretty Pretty by Ladies' Code
3. You Don't Love Me by Spica

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:20 pm »
I think it should just be taken as a given that when somebody makes a statement about something subjective, they're just stating an opinion. Even if they don't directly state that it's just their opinion or just what they think, I think it's pretty safe to assume that that's implied. I also think that the sooner everyone accepts that, the sooner the internet can become a more civil place  :laugh:.

The most annoying people on the internet are the "that's subjective" people.

;D Michael Jordan is the best basketball player of all time.

:shocked: That's subjective.

Like, so what? What value does this add to the conversation? Absolutely nothing.

:P Wow, this pizza is great.

:shocked: That's subjective. Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean that the pizza is factually good.

Can we send people like this to the sun? Seriously. Agree with what I say, disagree and offer an alternative argument, or stay quiet. Those are the three options.

:shocked: It's subjective that there are only three options..................

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2019, 01:41:11 pm »
I think it should just be taken as a given that when somebody makes a statement about something subjective, they're just stating an opinion. Even if they don't directly state that it's just their opinion or just what they think, I think it's pretty safe to assume that that's implied. I also think that the sooner everyone accepts that, the sooner the internet can become a more civil place  :laugh:.

The most annoying people on the internet are the "that's subjective" people.

;D Michael Jordan is the best basketball player of all time.

:shocked: That's subjective.

Like, so what? What value does this add to the conversation? Absolutely nothing.

:P Wow, this pizza is great.

:shocked: That's subjective. Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean that the pizza is factually good.

Can we send people like this to the sun? Seriously. Agree with what I say, disagree and offer an alternative argument, or stay quiet. Those are the three options.

:shocked: It's subjective that there are only three options..................

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

So, if someone said the food in Ansan is all bad, you wouldn't argue with them? Like, they're literally wrong, but you wouldn't call them out on it?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2019, 01:48:16 pm »
So, if someone said the food in Ansan is all bad, you wouldn't argue with them? Like, they're literally wrong, but you wouldn't call them out on it?

What? How did you get that from what I said? I said three options when someone gives an opinion.

;D Pizza is delicious.

1. Agree

:undecided: Totally, I love pizza.

2. Disagree

:sad: No way, it's too greasy and it's not healthy at all. I don't like it.

3. Remain silent
 :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:

Your example would surely lead to number 2, no? My entire point prior was useless people who simply point out that opinions are simply that; subjective opinions.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2019, 01:53:42 pm »

What? How did you get that from what I said? I said three options when someone gives an opinion.

;D Pizza is delicious.

1. Agree

2. Disagree

:sad: No way, it's too greasy and it's not healthy at all. I don't like it.

3. Remain silent

Your example would surely lead to number 2, no? My entire point prior was useless people who simply point out that opinions are simply that; subjective opinions.

Oh. I misunderstood that.

In your response, you gave perfect examples of how to voice an opinion.   I'll give an example of how not to voice an opinion.

;D Pizza is delicious.

1. Agree

2. Disagree

:smiley: No, pizza is a low quality food and it's bad.

3. Remain silent

When people respond like they do in this version of 2, it's our duty to tell them that they're literally stating their opinion as a fact and that they're literally wrong because it's not true.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2019, 01:58:58 pm »

2. Disagree

When people respond like they do in this version of 2, it's our duty to tell them that they're literally stating their opinion as a fact and that they're literally wrong because it's not true.

God, imagine hearing an adult say this? hahaha

>:( I don't like pizza.

:-[ Really? Why?

>:( IT'S BAD.

Like a 4 year old. hahahahaha

:-[ Why is it bad?

>:( It's bad BECAUSE BAD.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2019, 01:59:47 pm »

2. Disagree

God, imagine hearing an adult say this? hahaha

>:( I don't like pizza.

:-[ Really? Why?

>:( IT'S BAD.

Like a 4 year old. hahahahaha

:-[ Why is it bad?

>:( It's bad BECAUSE BAD.

Kind... kind of like how a lot of people in this thread talk about certain genres of music? Haha.

« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2019, 02:00:18 pm »
I think common sense dictates that if you go onto a thread called "Top 10 Kpop Songs" and then shit on the genre, that you're being a bit of an imp (which is fine) at best and an ass at worst.

Also, once you do that, you're fair game and you can't pull the "Stop telling me what music to like" card when someone tells you to try and be more open-minded. In a more neutral setting, sure. But you went into someone else's turf and threw down and they weren't ripping anyone or anything.

As I said, where are the Kpop fans going onto other music threads and shitting on everything? They aren't. I know some people think music reflects a person's character and all that utter nonsense. If that's so, then how come they aren't the ones acting like asshats? Seems one's "deep, great taste in music maaaannnn" hasn't made them a better person after all because that's pretty basic respect right there.

That's why I say for a lot of people, music isn't about what they like, it's an ego stroke. I know because I used to be there and fall into that. At the end of the day, if you like it listen to it. If it sounds good, it is good. And what kind of music someone likes says ZILCH about how good of a person they are.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:02:21 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2019, 02:08:40 pm »
And what kind of music someone likes says ZILCH about how good of a person they are.

Except for listening to Lil B, which is a sign that you are very rare and positive.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2019, 02:10:05 pm »
Except for listening to Lil B, which is a sign that you are very rare and positive.
I heard that Lil B sneaks into factories and pees in the shampoo bottles.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2019, 02:18:27 pm »

TYBG.

« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2019, 02:26:45 pm »
If you make someone feel bad for enjoying something (a hobby or genre of music/books etc) then you are the ABSOLUTE WORST.

Really? Like I support City, you support United, ha ha they're crap. That's the worst thing you can ever do to someone?

Are we not all mature enough to be able to laugh off a bit of banter?

« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2019, 02:29:06 pm »
I think you mean 'Big R'

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2019, 02:39:53 pm »

Really? Like I support City, you support United, ha ha they're crap. That's the worst thing you can ever do to someone?

Are we not all mature enough to be able to laugh off a bit of banter?

I wouldn't say that's the same at all. In that case football is the shared hobby...banter like that is part of it. Some games you win, some you lose and everyone is in on it...it's a two way street.

It's more equivalent to me saying "Football is rubbish. You shouldn't like football because I don't like it. I like Rugby and if you don't like the same as me you're an idiot,". It always seems to be a one way attack and it's boring. EDIT: it's actually worse, it's like me purposely going into a thread called "Top goals of 2019" and saying that.

Man, just let people enjoy the stuff they enjoy and don't troll just to be a pest and try to assert your "superiority".
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:42:00 pm by debbiem89 »

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2019, 02:59:31 pm »
I like prog rock. Feel free to tell me it's music for hippies and dungeon and dragon types if I can tell people K pop is for silly teenagers. Deal?