Read 3695 times

Re: Best K pop songs in the last ten years
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 06:23:56 pm »

Best K-Pop songs...?

No such thing: 'best' and K-pop are two terms that never belong together; are you 14?

Tend to agree but probably wouldn't have got so many posts if I'd called it '3 least offensively awful k pop songs of the last 10 years.' I was curious what people actually thought of the music when you disregard the fluff

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:03:55 pm by waygo0k »

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 10:22:52 am »

Best K-Pop songs...?

No such thing: 'best' and K-pop are two terms that never belong together; are you 14?
Yeah, we get it. You're a superior person because you listen to different music. Do you want a trophy or will a certificate do? Anyways, while you're at the bar glowering and carrying on about how much Kpop sucks, the rest of us are dancing and having a good time.

Look each kind of music has its time and place, even well into adulthood. There's a time for Kpop and a time for rock. A time for classical and a time for country. A time for rap and a time for Celtic. A time for death metal and a time for Zydeco.

It's like food. Now you don't have to be about the Korean/Ethiopian/Vietnamese/Moroccan food all the time, but if you can't ever get down with it? Well that's just sad and ironically, it suggests the lack of taste is with YOU, not the people who enjoy it.

Enjoy your chicken nuggets, tater tots, and Chef Boyardee of constant Death Metal or Classic Rock or whatever it is that's superior.

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 10:44:10 am »
while you're at the bar glowering and carrying on about how much Kpop sucks, the rest of us are dancing and having a good time.

Do you dance around to K pop?  ;D

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 10:55:21 am »

I've gone to a couple clubs and whatnot where they have Kpop on. And while I'd rather dance to hip-hop, dancing to Kpop with some chick is sure better than sitting at the bar and griping about how much the music sucks while everyone else is having a good time.

I hate EDM and I'll still go out and dance. If I'm not going to have fun, might as well stay home and play video games or something or call up some friend to grab some bbq and get drunk and head home.

Like it ain't the greatest, but if Mirotic by TVXQ doesn't at least get you groovin a little, something is wrong. That's a song that moves things from "Having fun" to "Going home together".

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 11:42:38 am »

I've gone to a couple clubs and whatnot where they have Kpop on. And while I'd rather dance to hip-hop, dancing to Kpop with some chick is sure better than sitting at the bar and griping about how much the music sucks while everyone else is having a good time.

I hate EDM and I'll still go out and dance. If I'm not going to have fun, might as well stay home and play video games or something or call up some friend to grab some bbq and get drunk and head home.

Like it ain't the greatest, but if Mirotic by TVXQ doesn't at least get you groovin a little, something is wrong. That's a song that moves things from "Having fun" to "Going home together".

You realize that by telling people what music or food they should listen to or dance to or what they should be doing in a club, you're being just as 'superior' as someone telling people what they shouldn't listen to or eat? not that Titus Groan was doing that in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:46:23 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 12:31:12 pm »

You realize that by telling people what music or food they should listen to or dance to or what they should be doing in a club, you're being just as 'superior' as someone telling people what they shouldn't listen to or eat? not that Titus Groan was doing that in the first place.

Yeah I had the same thought too.  Out of both of them, Demartino is being way more snobby and annoying.  Titus Groan wasn't doing that at all come to think of it.

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 12:52:47 pm »
I didn't say they should listen to it. I said if they couldn't at least enjoy parts of it, that's pretty sad. I also said there was a time and a place for all things.

I mean dude was straight up like "Are you 14?" Nothing I said is as superior or as snobby as that.

You know who judges people based on their music? A 14-year old. I don't care if your bag is Kpop or EDM or Death Metal or traditional Estonian or whatever. But if you are just going to shit on other kinds of music to make yourself feel better, that's pretty sad.

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 01:03:41 pm »
I said if they couldn't at least enjoy parts of it, that's pretty sad.

If you dance around to K pop like a 14 year old, that's pretty sad.

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 01:12:44 pm »

I haven't been clubbing much lately, but last I checked they were filled with tons of twenty-somethings who were dancing. It didn't look too sad to me.

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 01:14:51 pm »

I haven't been clubbing much lately, but last I checked they were filled with tons of twenty-somethings who were dancing. It didn't look too sad to me.

Were there also a bunch of people sitting at the bar, slagging off the music? I hope you called them out for it.

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 01:21:19 pm »
Whose dancing around to it like a 14 year old? It's in a fricking club. Do you think everyone is busting out dance routines and doing somersaults?

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 01:24:22 pm »
Whose dancing around to it like a 14 year old? It's in a fricking club. Do you think everyone is busting out dance routines and doing somersaults?

I'd thought they'd be full of EPIK teachers showing off what they learned on their orientations.  :smiley:

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 01:29:53 pm »

I'd thought they'd be full of EPIK teachers showing off what they learned on their orientations.  :smiley:

It's pretty much like every other club- A bunch of drunk people dancing and trying to get laid.

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 01:35:28 pm »
In no particular order:

Kara - Step
The production on this is so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYoYoBtLqOY

2NE1 - Hate You
Not a super famous one. Really cool video. Good verses from each member. Slower than most K-pop songs, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5jyYD2WEw

Hyuna - Bubble Pop
The hook is pretty much pop perfection. Also, the weird little dubstep breakdown is such a perfect time capsule back to the start of this decade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9CALKOvAI
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:38:06 pm by #basedcowboyshirt »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 03:57:54 pm »
There's good K-pop?! :O Isn't it just a bunch of pretty people, that are well coordinated and good at dancing, that lip sync, and usually don't even play any instruments, due to dancing?
I've seen one of the big girl groups (twice I think) live, and it was easily noticeable that they weren't singing. :p - Luckily I didn't pay to see that. :p

Call me old fashioned, but I need my musicians to at least either sing and/or play an instrument. :p (preferably both)

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 05:39:12 am »

Best K-Pop songs...?

Yeah, we get it. You're a superior person because you listen to different music. Do you want a trophy or will a certificate do? Anyways, while you're at the bar glowering and carrying on about how much Kpop sucks, the rest of us are dancing and having a good time.

Look each kind of music has its time and place, even well into adulthood. There's a time for Kpop and a time for rock. A time for classical and a time for country. A time for rap and a time for Celtic. A time for death metal and a time for Zydeco.

It's like food. Now you don't have to be about the Korean/Ethiopian/Vietnamese/Moroccan food all the time, but if you can't ever get down with it? Well that's just sad and ironically, it suggests the lack of taste is with YOU, not the people who enjoy it.

Enjoy your chicken nuggets, tater tots, and Chef Boyardee of constant Death Metal or Classic Rock or whatever it is that's superior.
There's a time for bloviating
And a time for hyperbole
There's a time for hypocricsy
And a time for unwarranted condescension.

For every thread, troll, troll, troll
For every thread troll, troll, troll.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 07:22:39 am »
There's good K-pop?! :O Isn't it just a bunch of pretty people, that are well coordinated and good at dancing, that lip sync, and usually don't even play any instruments, due to dancing?
I've seen one of the big girl groups (twice I think) live, and it was easily noticeable that they weren't singing. :p - Luckily I didn't pay to see that. :p

Call me old fashioned, but I need my musicians to at least either sing and/or play an instrument. :p (preferably both)

There are a bunch of YouTube videos online that show these groups singing without auto-tune. It ain't pretty!

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 08:48:43 am »
There's a time for bloviating
And a time for hyperbole
There's a time for hypocricsy
And a time for unwarranted condescension.

For every thread, troll, troll, troll
For every thread troll, troll, troll.
Clearly there's a time for shoehorned, unoriginal lyrics.

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 09:01:17 am »
There are a bunch of YouTube videos online that show these groups singing without auto-tune. It ain't pretty!
There's also A LOT more of a lot of them singing, singing well and playing musical instruments.

Well of course, a song sung without autotune is going to sound weird. That's because autotune is an effect, not a substitute.

Yes, it's called pop music. The songs are genuinely recorded and sometimes performed live. However, because of the intensive nature of dancing, they are often lip-synced, because dance is an element of their performance. For ballads, they tend to sing live.

You'll notice that high level musicians aren't signing. Why? Because they're too busy playing instruments. A lot of bands have a vocalist OR their lead singer plays really simple chords. Even Alison Krauss puts down her fiddle to sing.  No one rags on opera singers for not playing instruments.

Look, you don't have to like K-pop, but at least try and be fair in your criticism. Like I'd say K-pop is maybe 2-5% of my music listening. It ain't my favorite, but I get it. I don't knock it for what it is.

Like, I really don't get the people who are angry and butt-hurt that people like different kinds of music and feel the need to trash other's tastes to make themselves look and feel better. Like if you're all about the blues and that's what you're all about, great. But if you're that dude that's all about the blues and spends half his time shitting on 8 other genres of music, then there's something wrong with you.

It's a lot like the craft beer stuff. Contrived hipsterism simply to seem above it all and unique and special.