Read 3992 times

Re: Best K pop songs in the last ten years
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2019, 09:42:21 am »
Most university aged kids say their favourite music is "Ballad". I'd take Kpop over those over the top, oversung, saccharine cheessy ballads, any day of the week.

Some of them say that but most of mine say they're either into Hip Hop, Rn B (Maybe this also comes under the umbrella of K Pop according to DM) or Western stuff like Ariane Grande, Ed Sheeran and people I've never heard of.  I agree those ballads are soppy in the extreme.
1. Depends on the person. Some mean like hardcore underground Korean hip hop. Some mean western hip hop. Some mean Kpop hip hop.
2. Just because your students rattle off a few western pop stars, doesn't mean they aren't into some Korean groups too.
3. Just because you don't understand what's being said in the ballads, doesn't make them stupid.
4. People listen to music for different reasons. For ballad listeners, they are not listening to experience a unique tune or musical structure, they are listening to experience the emotions of the person signing. Duh. This is often what dudes don't understand about "chick flicks"/art films and what they're going for. They are also often listening for the vocal quality of the singer, not the instrumentation. It's why someone can be watching an action movie and think "This is so boring, nothing is happening" and someone else can think the same thing about some art house movie. Now, before you think I'm being snobbish, I'd take the same person to task for bashing the action movie and it's technical displays AND often times they can be underrated or even wrongfully snubbed on that emotional scale.
5. If you think emotional experience and emoting in singing is more simplistic, you're an idiot. The people who think this are often people who can't act nor produce compelling literature or music or art. The emotional response is a core element of art and aesthetics. It can be complicated and challenging to experience, it can be equally difficult to produce.

So yeah, don't blame ballad fans for your emotional stuntedness and immaturity.  :wink:

« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2019, 09:55:06 am »
Most university aged kids say their favourite music is "Ballad". I'd take Kpop over those over the top, oversung, saccharine cheessy ballads, any day of the week.

Some of them say that but most of mine say they're either into Hip Hop, Rn B (Maybe this also comes under the umbrella of K Pop according to DM) or Western stuff like Ariane Grande, Ed Sheeran and people I've never heard of.  I agree those ballads are soppy in the extreme.
1. Depends on the person. Some mean like hardcore underground Korean hip hop. Some mean western hip hop. Some mean Kpop hip hop.
2. Just because your students rattle off a few western pop stars, doesn't mean they aren't into some Korean groups too.
3. Just because you don't understand what's being said in the ballads, doesn't make them stupid.
4. People listen to music for different reasons. For ballad listeners, they are not listening to experience a unique tune or musical structure, they are listening to experience the emotions of the person signing. Duh. This is often what dudes don't understand about "chick flicks"/art films and what they're going for. They are also often listening for the vocal quality of the singer, not the instrumentation. It's why someone can be watching an action movie and think "This is so boring, nothing is happening" and someone else can think the same thing about some art house movie. Now, before you think I'm being snobbish, I'd take the same person to task for bashing the action movie and it's technical displays AND often times they can be underrated or even wrongfully snubbed on that emotional scale.
5. If you think emotional experience and emoting in singing is more simplistic, you're an idiot. The people who think this are often people who can't act nor produce compelling literature or music or art. The emotional response is a core element of art and aesthetics. It can be complicated and challenging to experience, it can be equally difficult to produce.

So yeah, don't blame ballad fans for your emotional stuntedness and immaturity.  :wink:

For someone who's always advocating people shouldn't take pop music too seriously and shouldn't care about what other people think you're taking it very seriously and getting pretty worked up about what other people think.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:02:32 am by eggieguffer »

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2019, 09:57:31 am »

AGREE.

Ever been at a noraebang while someone is trying to sing one of these? So awkward. Thank god for alcohol ey.

« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2019, 10:00:54 am »

AGREE.

Ever been at a noraebang while someone is trying to sing one of these? So awkward. Thank god for alcohol ey.

You don't need alcohol, you just need to get over your emotional stuntedness and immaturity  :smiley:

« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2019, 10:09:23 am »
For someone who's always advocating people shouldn't take pop music too seriously, you're taking it very seriously.
Hey, I take things positively. I'm not the one bashing people's tastes and telling them "your crap sucks".

If you're getting uncomfortable around ballads, I think it might be connected to emotional uncomfortableness or repression. Perhaps expressing feelings of love, sadness, hope, appreciation, and so one are difficult. Maybe they remind you of some buried pain.

I wonder if there's a correlation between comfort around certain kinds of music and one's level of empathy. There could be a study in this...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:33:00 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2019, 10:10:48 am »

For someone who's always advocating people shouldn't take pop music too seriously and shouldn't care about what other people think you're taking it very seriously and getting pretty worked up about what other people think.
I'll say.
No one is sitting around spending more than a few seconds thinking, 'wow thats goofy' or 'thats terrible'. Just like if i played meshuggah for my kids they would think 'wow thats goofy' or 'thats terrible'.

I remember when when i was like 15 and was playing Korn or some other terrible nu metal. My dad walked in the room and he just laughed and said "oh dear". F U DAD!!! You dont understand my pain!

People pass judgment on music. It's ok. Its not that serious.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2019, 10:13:47 am »
you're taking it very seriously.
Hey, I take things positively. I'm not the one bashing people's tastes and telling them "your crap sucks".

No, you're just saying to people 'you suck' , which is far more gracious.

« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2019, 10:22:22 am »
you're taking it very seriously.

No, you're just saying to people 'you suck' , which is far more gracious.
Well, again, why come on to a Kpop thread to bash Kpop? As I said, impish fun is one thing, but if it's a different reason...it's probably because of some level of emotional immaturity. And again, why don't the Kpop fans do that to other threads? None of the Kpop fans said anything negative about another genre of music or anyone else's musical taste.

So yeah, I think going on to a Kpop thread where no one is bashing any other music, whose fans have never crashed other music threads, and telling them their music is shit, can be kind of a dick move. Wouldn't you agree?

But yes, if you're going to go down the route of "14 year old", don't whine and moan and call foul when that shit is tossed back in your direction.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:24:40 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2019, 10:26:35 am »
For someone who's always advocating people shouldn't take pop music too seriously, you're taking it very seriously.

If you're getting uncomfortable around ballads, I think it might be connected to emotional uncomfortableness or repression. Perhaps expressing feelings of law, sadness, hope, appreciation, and so one are difficult. Maybe they remind you of some buried pain.

I wonder if there's a correlation between comfort around certain kinds of music and one's level of empathy. There could be a study in this...

This is some commendable trolling and kudos for keeping it up for so long  :laugh:

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2019, 10:29:31 am »
 :laugh: :laugh:
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2019, 10:29:39 am »
Did your dad think less of you as a human being or as an intellect or insinuate that your human experience was diminished because you weren't listening to HIS music? Did he question your maturity because of it?

Or did he just think "Kids..." or "Ahh. Noise!" or banter you about it?

Something tells me your dad doesn't pull over to the car of people next to him that's playing some kind of music he doesn't like and yell out "Italian Baroque music sucks and is for 14 year olds! It's all about Renaissance Madrigals!!!"

« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2019, 10:32:50 am »
Well, again, why come on to a Kpop thread to bash Kpop? As I said, impish fun is one thing, but if it's a different reason...it's probably because of some level of emotional immaturity. And again, why don't the Kpop fans do that to other threads? None of the Kpop fans said anything negative about another genre of music or anyone else's musical taste.

Because we live in Korea Duh. You could just as easily ask why aren't people having a go at Japanese TV instead of Korean TV all the time. Wah, wah wah, it's not fair  :rolleyes:

« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2019, 10:38:40 am »
But yes, if you're going to go down the route of "14 year old", don't whine and moan and call foul when that shit is tossed back in your direction.

K pop is primarily designed for teenagers. Just like Twilight, Hunger Games, Justin Beiber, hannah Montana and a thousand other products. Get over it.  That doesn't mean adults can't like it too.

« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2019, 10:41:23 am »

Because we live in Korea Duh. You could just as easily ask why aren't people having a go at Japanese TV instead of Korean TV all the time. Wah, wah wah, it's not fair  :rolleyes:

weird answer. i usually don't hop into threads i don't care about to bash on the topic (but im pretty sure i do live in korea).

for example, if someone made a post looking for a seafood grilling restaurant i wouldn't jump in to whine about how i don't like grilling my own food at a restaurant.

« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2019, 10:43:28 am »

This is some commendable trolling and kudos for keeping it up for so long  :laugh:

It's not trolling.
https://neurosciencenews.com/empathy-music-processing-9313/
https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/why_do_some_people_love_sad_music
https://www.medicaldaily.com/psychology-music-choice-cognitive-thinking-influences-preference-music-genre-empathy-344774

Empathy correlates to emotional intelligence, emotional stability and well-being, and ability to engage in cross-cultural communication and understanding.

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2019, 10:46:35 am »
Did your dad think less of you as a human being or as an intellect or insinuate that your human experience was diminished because you weren't listening to HIS music? Did he question your maturity because of it?

Or did he just think "Kids..." or "Ahh. Noise!" or banter you about it?

Something tells me your dad doesn't pull over to the car of people next to him that's playing some kind of music he doesn't like and yell out "Italian Baroque music sucks and is for 14 year olds! It's all about Renaissance Madrigals!!!"

Luckily for all of us, especially you apparently, no one is doing that here either. I haven't read the whole thread, but the general tone is joking and piss taking. You are the only one throwing around emotional maturity etc.

I dont think in my 6 years here i have ever had a proper conversation about kpop with a korean. Beyond being asked 'do you like it'. Once or twice with fellow foreigners getting over excited about some boy band, everyone in the group laughing or cringing and then the conversation moving on within 90 seconds. You know, like how most real life conversations go.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2019, 10:52:51 am »

"Top 10 American Restaurants in Seoul"
"Well, I like Manimal"
"I think Maddux Pizza"
"FOREIGN FOOD SUCKS. IT'S FOR 14 YEAR OLDS ENJOY YOUR MCDONALDS. EVEN MY STUDENTS HAVE GROWN PAST MCDONALDS!!!!"
"Uhm, there's more to foreign food than McDonald's. No one's on the Korean food thread telling you Korean food sucks. That's kind of an immature thing to do"
"STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO EAT!!! STOP INSULTING ME!!! IT'S A FORUM ABOUT AMERICA I CAN COME HERE!!!"

Like I said, it's one thing to do it impishly or banter, it's another to come in and insult people by comparing them to 14 year olds.

K pop is primarily designed for teenagers. Just like Twilight, Hunger Games, Justin Beiber, hannah Montana and a thousand other products. Get over it.  That doesn't mean adults can't like it too.

Le Sigh. As I have said repeatedly, "KPop" ranges from ballad artists in their late 40s whose target audience is people aged 18-55 to hip hop meant for people in their 20s. To singers and groups meant for people in their late 20s to mid-late 30s. To tweens.

Just because you don't understand the genre well, doesn't mean the genre is what you say it is.

« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2019, 10:54:09 am »
I dont think in my 6 years here i have ever had a proper conversation about kpop with a korean. Beyond being asked 'do you like it'. Once or twice with fellow foreigners getting over excited about some boy band, everyone in the group laughing or cringing and then the conversation moving on within 90 seconds. You know, like how most real life conversations go.
Did someone in the group tell complete strangers that they have the musical taste of a 14 year old and completely shit on their taste in music?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2019, 10:55:46 am »
"Top 10 American Restaurants in Seoul"
"Well, I like Manimal"
"I think Maddux Pizza"
"FOREIGN FOOD SUCKS. IT'S FOR 14 YEAR OLDS ENJOY YOUR MCDONALDS. EVEN MY STUDENTS HAVE GROWN PAST MCDONALDS!!!!"

If nothing else, you made me laugh out loud in the VP office. Thanks. ahahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2019, 11:03:06 am »
Did someone in the group tell complete strangers that they have the musical taste of a 14 year old and completely shit on their taste in music?
No but if they did i would have laughed. Because it would have been at least a bit tongue in cheek.
The internet is different. We all know that. People say all sorts of shit they wouldn't in real life. Relax buddy
Kpip! - Martin 2018