Read 3993 times

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
Re: Best K pop songs in the last ten years
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2019, 03:08:10 pm »
I like prog rock. Feel free to tell me it's music for hippies and dungeon and dragon types if I can tell people K pop is for silly teenagers. Deal?

Wait wasn't this your post?  :laugh:

...I like that some of that stuff too though...also I wrongly read your comment as being for "dragon types" which would pretty badass... haha

« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2019, 07:43:37 am »

Yes, I like one or two songs from a genre aimed at silly teenagers (not enough to have them on my phone by the way) . And if someone takes the piss out of me for it, I can say 'yes you're right' and laugh it off. Unlike DM who would go into spasms of outrage and accuse them of being the worst kinds of snob.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:45:12 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2019, 07:49:55 am »
I like prog rock. Feel free to tell me it's music for hippies and dungeon and dragon types if I can tell people K pop is for silly teenagers. Deal?

But only a jerk would make insult someone for liking prog rock. Prog was hugely influential and without early prog rock groups, a lot of 90s and 2000s rock wouldn't even exist. Like, even if someone doesn't like something, they should still respect it.

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2019, 07:56:23 am »

But only a jerk would make insult someone for liking prog rock. Prog was hugely influential and without early prog rock groups, a lot of 90s and 2000s rock wouldn't even exist. Like, even if someone doesn't like something, they should still respect it.

I don't know, when you see images like these you might be forgiven for having the tiniest dig  :smiley:

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2019, 08:09:24 am »

Yes, I like one or two songs from a genre aimed at silly teenagers (not enough to have them on my phone by the way) . And if someone takes the piss out of me for it, I can say 'yes you're right' and laugh it off. Unlike DM who would go into spasms of outrage and accuse them of being the worst kinds of snob.

Kpop is a really broad genre. With target audiences, depending on artist, ranging from tweens to people in the 30-45 demographic.

"C is for Cookie" is written for preschoolers but I'll still blast that.

« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2019, 08:12:10 am »
to people in the 30-45 demographic.

Are they the ajoshis 'listening' to girl bands with the volume down?   :smiley:

Actually I'm teaching over 40 university students at the moment and from what they say about their tastes all but about 10% of them have already outgrown the genre.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:16:31 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2019, 08:31:13 am »
to people in the 30-45 demographic.

Are they the ajoshis 'listening' to girl bands with the volume down?   :smiley:

Actually I'm teaching over 40 university students at the moment and from what they say about their tastes all but about 10% of them have already outgrown the genre.

"Kpop" can range from anything from BTSBSNSD or whatever to a group like Gavy NJ or a singer like 신승훈 or classics like Seo Taiji, GOD, etc.

Have we "outgrown" the music? You can play "Mmmbop" followed by "I Want it That Way" followed by "Wannabe" followed by "Hit my Baby One More Time" and get way more of a reaction and emotional response than any prog rock song.

Do you know what THE #1 guaranteed song to get people dancing and drinking and hyped is (and this has been mentioned by DJs and radio hosts)? I'll give you a hint- 90s, targeted towards younger people, EVERYONE knows it and loves it. No one hates it. Singer is insanely famous and not just for music. Guess.

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2019, 08:32:42 am »
Unlike DM who would go into spasms of outrage and accuse them of being the worst kinds of snob.
But no one is going onto a forum and tearing into prog rock or anyone else's musical tastes. And it's not done in banter. It's done in spite and to mask insecurity.

You know what I've noticed? Rock fans are some of THE most insecure music fans on the planet. Very few other genres of music's fans give a crap if people do or don't listen to their music. Country fans know 70% of the country doesn't care. Hip-Hop & R&B fans know that a bunch of people don't care. Same with jazz, classical, folk, reggae, New Age, and so on. While there are certainly some jazz and classical snobs, they've accepted for the most part that people's tastes have changed.

But rock fans...man. I love rock. A big chunk of the songs on my phone are rock, but if there is ever a group of fans who need to take it down a notch. I've mentioned this before how multiple times, non-rock fans, often of color, will talk about their indifference or unfamiliarity with the Beatles and preference for something else, and how rock fans will flip out. Same with 90s alternative.

Yes. People have different tastes. People come from different communities and grew up with different music. And guess what? Some people had "your" music go up against "other" music and the "other" music won out and was ignored or put in a supporting role.

People went with the best basic rule of music- If it sounds good, like it and listen to it. Doesn't matter what age it's meant for or what value society places on it. And eff those people who try to judge you for it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:56:12 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2019, 08:37:48 am »
Unlike DM who would go into spasms of outrage and accuse them of being the worst kinds of snob.
But no one is going onto a forum and tearing into prog rock or anyone else's musical tastes. And it's not done in banter. It's done in spite and to mask insecurity.

Lol you're on thin ice there.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2019, 08:41:13 am »
There's pop and there's Pop.

Michael Jackson "King of Pop" cannot be compared with the Backstreet Boys in a "pop" genre sense.

« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2019, 08:57:39 am »

Hey man, you don't see me or the Kpop people on other music threads bashing their taste. Why would someone come on this thread to bash (not banter) kpop UNLESS they were insecure about music?

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2019, 09:01:21 am »

Hey man, you don't see me or the Kpop people on other music threads bashing their taste. Why would someone come on this thread to bash (not banter) kpop UNLESS they were insecure about music?

I'm talking about your posts generally.

Do you know what THE #1 guaranteed song to get people dancing and drinking and hyped is (and this has been mentioned by DJs and radio hosts)? I'll give you a hint- 90s, targeted towards younger people, EVERYONE knows it and loves it. No one hates it. Singer is insanely famous and not just for music. Guess.

More clues please; I'm wracking my brain but drawing a blank.  Are they also an actor? Male?

« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2019, 09:03:26 am »
More clues please; I'm wracking my brain but drawing a blank.  Are they also an actor? Male?
Nice. You're on the right track.

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2019, 09:06:42 am »
Have we "outgrown" the music? You can play "Mmmbop" followed by "I Want it That Way" followed by "Wannabe" followed by "Hit my Baby One More Time" and get way more of a reaction and emotional response than any prog rock song.

I wasn't talking about my students outgrowing ever listening to k pop again, I was saying they're not k pop fans in the traditional sense anymore. As in they don't buy paraphernalia, go online to defend any criticism of their idols, see them in concert, or travel halfway across the world to teach in another country because of them.

You got me there. I'd have said Micheal Jackson's Billie jean but that was 80s.

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:27 am »

K pop is easier to bash for all sorts of reasons. That's why I chose prog rock as an example because it's easier to bash than say, the Beatles. In terms of ease of bashing, k pop is in another league though.

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2019, 09:11:04 am »

K pop is easier to bash for all sorts of reasons. That's why I chose prog rock as an example because it's easier to bash than say, the Beatles. In terms of ease of bashing, k pop is in another league though.
Why the need to bash it?

It's pretty easy to bash the Beatles- A lot of their music is shit (a lot is good too) and you can't f*ck to any of their songs.

« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2019, 09:14:34 am »

Why the need to bash it?

Why the need to bash the Beatles?

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2019, 09:18:24 am »
To get across the point that while TO YOU they may seem hard to bash, to a lot of people they really are.

Anyways, why do you need to bash Kpop? What was your motivation?

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2019, 09:29:32 am »
To get across the point that while TO YOU they may seem hard to bash, to a lot of people they really are.

Anyways, why do you need to bash Kpop? What was your motivation?

Ok you got me. Because I really, really wish I looked like BTS and was able to dance as well.  :sad:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2019, 10:37:29 am »

Why the need to bash it?

It's pretty easy to bash the Beatles- A lot of their music is shit (a lot is good too) and you can't f*ck to any of their songs.
"Eight Days a Week" and "Yesterday" both feature on my Sex Mix CD that i throw on whenever i bring a lady back to my place.

If you can't bang a smokin hot lady to 'Eleanor Rigby' then you aren't doing it right
Kpip! - Martin 2018