Read 1318 times

Vacation days in hagwons
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:47:09 am »
I know hagwons offer much less vacation time than public schools, especially with labour laws increasing vacation days for them. I'd like to know from anyone in hagwons were you increased your vacation days if renewed or was more vacation days negotiable when your were hired?

I have friends who teach in Japan that were allowed to take unpaid vacation days in addition to what they're given, hell i'd settle for that. It's not about the money its more about the time off.

• cryden
  • Waygookin

• October 21, 2015, 07:21:35 am
    • Korea
Re: Vacation days in hagwons
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 01:22:25 pm »
I worked at 2 different hagwons before going to the public school system, and neither increased the paid vacation time on renewal.  Also, the vacation days were always selected by the school.  I had no input.  I never asked to get unpaid leave. 

I have 2 friends that have gotten the green light for some unpaid extended leave at their hagwons (one is leaving for 2 months then coming back).  It will probably just depend on your hagwon.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:21:47 am by cryden »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 02:42:55 pm »
NOPE  HAKWONS will always and forever be 5 days summer 5 days winter, to which they will use a red day and count it as your "holiday"  :rolleyes:.

HOWEVER.....If you get in nice with the boss and the higher ups and you play office politics really well, PLUS if you are a well liked teacher with the students (THE FUN TEACHER!)  Then you can pull an entire month or two off, just so long you find a replacement to fill in for you.  At my very first hakwon job I was allowed 3 weeks off for a wedding but this was on my second year with them, plus they liked me.  And the second hakwon I worked at that I lovingly call a HELLWON they gave me the standard vacation time off, Plus they counted three of the Chuseok reds days as "my contractual holiday” so technically I only go to have 5 winter and 2 summer (a******) Meanwhile, the boss gave the well-loved suck up teachers 3 months off for a honeymoon. 
Plus I was hired right as they were about to go on "winter break" so yeah I didn't have much money at the time to go ANY DAMN WHERE.  And at my 3rd AND LAST HAKWON I worked at .....VACATION!?!?!?  What's that?!?!? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: She counted the public holidays as our vacations.  So for example, this past Christmas day would be ONE day off towards our contract, and this coming new years would be 2.  I ended up quitting after 6 months. 

Meanwhile at public school, I'm going to get 24 days off in February, plus NOT TO MENTION THE 26 (WEEKDAY ONLY, NON-PUBLIC HOLIDAYS INCLUDED) VACATION DAYS.  You should probably consider public school here in Korea.   :afro:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 02:59:49 pm by Piggydee »

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 08:41:43 am »
The minimum legal amount of holidays per year is 15. You ‘gain’ 1 day per month you work, until the 9 month point.

Post 9 month point you get the full 15 (minus any you used, as you gained them).

National holidays do not count. This is the law, but it is very difficult for a new foreigner (or Korean for that matter) to have these laws applied to them in a hagwon setting.

I would suggest that anyone working for a hagwon make a simple table, for holiday, where it is signed and approved (per day, or half day ect) as you go by the owner.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 10:32:07 am »
And at my 3rd AND LAST HAKWON I worked at .....VACATION!?!?!?  What's that?!?!? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: She counted the public holidays as our vacations.  So for example, this past Christmas day would be ONE day off towards our contract, and this coming new years would be 2.  I ended up quitting after 6 months. 
That's what you get for skimming the contract, I guess :rolleyes:

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 12:09:30 pm »
Years ago they didn't give any time off at the hagwons I worked at. Maybe there is a law on the books for it now. I put in my time, so now the 4 months at the uni more than makes up for it.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 04:02:42 am »
Hagwons and holidays?   Good luck.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 07:10:35 am »
And at my 3rd AND LAST HAKWON I worked at .....VACATION!?!?!?  What's that?!?!? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: She counted the public holidays as our vacations.  So for example, this past Christmas day would be ONE day off towards our contract, and this coming new years would be 2.  I ended up quitting after 6 months. 
That's what you get for skimming the contract, I guess :rolleyes:

I didn't skim the contract, me and the rest of the crew were fighting her on our 5 summer, 5 winter days but she said it was at her discretion as to when we could take that time off.  Anyways.  Don't matter, I don't work at sucker a** hakwons anymore so your comment is trash anyways.   :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:50:20 am by Piggydee »

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 08:05:51 am »
I worked at a hagwon for three years and was able to take 3 days off during that time when my family visited. I was allowed ten per year according to my contract but because they were short staffed it was literally never possible. If you wanted time off you had to find a replacement teacher and work out payment with them yourself.
Thankfully i'm at a public school now :).

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 08:59:42 am »
The way to do it, if you are changing employers anyway,
Is to take your vacation between contracts.
It can get expensive tho.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:30:04 am by some waygug-in »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 09:52:32 am »
I worked at a hagwon for three years and was able to take 3 days off during that time when my family visited. I was allowed ten per year according to my contract but because they were short staffed it was literally never possible. If you wanted time off you had to find a replacement teacher and work out payment with them yourself.
Thankfully i'm at a public school now :).

That sounded terrible.  You made the right choice. 

The way to do it, if you are changing employers anyway,
Is to take your vacation between contracts.
It can get expensive tho.

Awww yes I remember the month long Fun-employment I had when I quit my last hakwon and FINALLY jumped into public school.  It was nice :afro:  Good memories from that time.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 07:42:21 pm »
You can write whatever you want into a contract. If a hagwon really wants you to work there they will give you more perks, but there's always a limit. And never trust what a hagwon director says, put it in writing or they'll squirm out of it.

Meanwhile at public school, I'm going to get 24 days off in February, plus NOT TO MENTION THE 26 (WEEKDAY ONLY, NON-PUBLIC HOLIDAYS INCLUDED) VACATION DAYS.  You should probably consider public school here in Korea.   :afro:

I'm assuming your school is letting you not come to work in February because classes are cancelled...most public schools won't do that. Publicly bragging about perks is a great way to get them taken away. In the province I used to teach in, a lot of EPIK teachers used to be allowed to take several weeks off a year due to cancelled classes until they started bragging about it and pissing off everyone who had to deskwarm...now everyone deskwarms.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 09:00:09 pm »
  I worked at a hagwon in Gyeonggi-do, and my Korean friend was angry that the boss refused to let us take more than 6 paid vacation days per year, although the law said we should have 10. He was allowed 2 weeks of unpaid vacation. At JLS I only got the national holidays, and that's illegal. Friends working at CDI had varying experiences. One guy worked 4 days a week, and got a month in the Phillipines. He worked at a different branch of CDI the next year, and it was so bad he quit. Another friend at CDI has to work on Christmas Day, and if he wants a holiday, he has to get staff to cover for him. But the boss always  says that there's not enough staff to do this, so he never gets holidays.

People with long holidays, not in the contract,  should stop boasting about them online, and focus on other stuff.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 01:32:29 pm »
In my 16 years of hagwoning...

I have TAKEN 1-month, 2-month and even a 4-month vacation from teaching. How? By doing so between contracts. Twice I said I would only re-sign if I had a 1-month break inbetween contracts and the director agreed. At another job the director wanted me to stay but didn't have a replacement (small hagwon) so I FOUND someone to cover for me and I decided to go on a 3-month vacation instead of just one as a result.

So, I don't complain or demand vacation time, even if it's in the contract. I simply plan on taking a vacation at the end of the yearly contract. :)

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 07:08:38 am »
You can write whatever you want into a contract. If a hagwon really wants you to work there they will give you more perks, but there's always a limit. And never trust what a hagwon director says, put it in writing or they'll squirm out of it.

No I still have to come in and deskwarm on the last week.  The vacation time off is part of my contract not because classes are canceled. 

I'm assuming your school is letting you not come to work in February because classes are cancelled...most public schools won't do that. Publicly bragging about perks is a great way to get them taken away. In the province I used to teach in, a lot of EPIK teachers used to be allowed to take several weeks off a year due to cancelled classes until they started bragging about it and pissing off everyone who had to deskwarm...now everyone deskwarms.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 07:11:49 am »
In my 16 years of hagwoning...

I have TAKEN 1-month, 2-month and even a 4-month vacation from teaching. How? By doing so between contracts. Twice I said I would only re-sign if I had a 1-month break inbetween contracts and the director agreed. At another job the director wanted me to stay but didn't have a replacement (small hagwon) so I FOUND someone to cover for me and I decided to go on a 3-month vacation instead of just one as a result.

So, I don't complain or demand vacation time, even if it's in the contract. I simply plan on taking a vacation at the end of the yearly contract. :)

Yeah but you have to have your own housing to do that.  Usually when you end a contract with a hackwon they want you to vacate the apartment immediately.  You have to fumble with moving and traveling around at the same time.  Sounds stressful.  Always been the case with the last two POS hakwons I worked for.  The only way I had longer than 5 days off was to work at a hakwon that actually likes you.