Read 17094 times

Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2019, 02:58:22 pm »
My school made May 1st the school birthday this year (yep they changed it!), so everyone gets it off.  Jammy buggers. This was my ONE chance to be all smug and not working when they are aha.
My school did the exact same thing!! At least it means this year, that I don't have to bring out my contract and explain that I get the day off!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:00:42 pm by belocean11 »

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2019, 03:08:28 pm »
My school made May 1st the school birthday this year (yep they changed it!), so everyone gets it off.  Jammy buggers. This was my ONE chance to be all smug and not working when they are aha.
My school did the exact same thing!! At least it means this year, that I don't have to bring out my contract and explain that I get the day off!

Yes! that was definitely a plus! I guess we have to use vacation days for the birthdays now anyway so at least I won't have to do that (or sit by myself in school all day!)

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2019, 03:20:32 pm »

Considering the new vacation day rules make sure they don't ding you a 연가 (annual leave) day for it!

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2019, 03:23:06 pm »

Considering the new vacation day rules make sure they don't ding you a 연가 (annual leave) day for it!

That's a very good point.

I think my co teacher knows....but I'd better just casually mention it aha

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2019, 03:24:33 pm »

Supposedly some school are putting it under 연수 (research), so Korean teacher don't get dinged too.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2019, 02:16:22 pm »
Just had my new co-t show me some document forwarded from Gepik about me having to take vacation days for the Thursday and Friday that the principal has closed the school.  I explained that we're a city hall funded school and my contract doesn't give me 26 days and explicitly states that any special days the school is closed will NOT count as vacation days.  She phoned the education office and so far they have agreed that the signed contract supersedes any later changes.  Hopefully, that'll be the end of it.  She's explaining it to the V-P, who has never worked with a NET before, and was the one who forwarded the document in the first place. 

« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2019, 03:03:17 pm »

Supposedly some school are putting it under 연수 (research), so Korean teacher don't get dinged too.

I log it as 기타 and in the 사유 또는 용무 field write 근로자의 날. CT does the same. Never been a problem.

Also it's in our contract  (7.1 work hours) that Labor Day is a holiday for us akin to weekends and national holidays so it's pretty obvious that we shouldn't have to use a 연가 day.

« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2019, 03:09:16 pm »

I log it as 기타 and in the 사유 또는 용무 field write 근로자의 날. CT does the same. Never been a problem.

Also it's in our contract  (7.1 work hours) that Labor Day is a holiday for us akin to weekends and national holidays so it's pretty obvious that we shouldn't have to use a 연가 day.

Like I wrote earlier, as it is test time, I get paid overtime for invigilating in the morning and then can go home at lunch.  I do the fingerprint thing in the morning at 8am then out at 12:30.  It's 4 hours plus a thirty minute break as per Labour Law.  But when I asked about the NEIS for the afternoon, I don't need to do anything apparently.  I'm just not there. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #228 on: May 10, 2019, 07:51:21 pm »
Starting new contract soon.  Looks like they are also trying to steal our school holidays after all.  RIdiculous.  I don't know why they can't just let us have the three extra days.  Seems very miserly and spiteful on their part.  I am wondering if the Korean teachers are forfeiting their vacation for school birthdays, filler days, etc.

I sure wish Korea could get a shortage of teachers again like 10 years ago, just so they'd back off and be desperate again.  WOuld be nice for them to get a dose of humility instead of doing things just because they can.  @h0les!!

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2019, 10:05:00 pm »
Starting new contract soon.  Looks like they are also trying to steal our school holidays after all.  RIdiculous.  I don't know why they can't just let us have the three extra days.  Seems very miserly and spiteful on their part.  I am wondering if the Korean teachers are forfeiting their vacation for school birthdays, filler days, etc.

I sure wish Korea could get a shortage of teachers again like 10 years ago, just so they'd back off and be desperate again.  WOuld be nice for them to get a dose of humility instead of doing things just because they can.  @h0les!!

Actually...Korea IS short on teachers.  Folks are going to China (for whatever reasons) and Vietnam.  This act of pretending there are more jobs than applicants is a myth that keeps on going, so salaries can keep dropping. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2019, 09:38:51 am »

Actually...Korea IS short on teachers.  Folks are going to China (for whatever reasons) and Vietnam.  This act of pretending there are more jobs than applicants is a myth that keeps on going, so salaries can keep dropping. 

Let EPIK start improving the contracts and hakwons to increase the pay.  Rural EPIK is ok, but a raise will be needed here soon too.  City EPIK definately needs a raise.  Do you hear for sure there are shortages now?

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2019, 10:24:19 am »

Let EPIK start improving the contracts and hakwons to increase the pay.  Rural EPIK is ok, but a raise will be needed here soon too.  City EPIK definately needs a raise.  Do you hear for sure there are shortages now?

Perhaps not with the public schools...but, across the board with private academies....yes.  THAT, or there are simply not that many jobs (as agencies like to post).  Fact is, folks ARE going elsewhere...making the same salary in Vietnam for a lower cost of living....making MORE in China for a lower cost of living.  I have a few folks on the "inside" that have admitted this...

« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2019, 11:45:27 am »
Does anyone have the Korean Labour Law that stipulates that we get 26 vacation days a year if we signed after May 2018?

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2019, 12:04:35 pm »

Perhaps not with the public schools...but, across the board with private academies....yes.  THAT, or there are simply not that many jobs (as agencies like to post).  Fact is, folks ARE going elsewhere...making the same salary in Vietnam for a lower cost of living....making MORE in China for a lower cost of living.  I have a few folks on the "inside" that have admitted this...

Inside are recruiters and hiring managers at academies?  Good to know then.  With student loans and other things to pay off, young folks would be better off going to Vietnam or China then.  (China is tricky sending money home, but sometimes you can get someone at your school to do it for a bit and then do western union if you have relatives for a bit you trust to deposit the funds in your account back home.  Also, with proper visa, bank of China will give you 500 US a day to transfer.) 

I do see many facebook groups offering 2.4 to 2.7 for a standard 2 to 10ish mon to fri hakwon gig.  Sometimes more for the old 9 to 6 gigs with kindys.  Not sure why waygook and daves still have so many lowball offers.  I guess folks had better insist on 2.4 or so if new and 2.5 and up with more experience.  Either that or go teach in another country.  Tell them to go pound sand.  I would be curious if EPIK will start having shortages.  Was nice over 10 years ago when they did in the countryside. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2019, 12:07:14 pm »
Of course if EPIK gets desperate they will loosen up on some of these ridiculous rules (which hadn't been enforced out here till more recently). 

« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2019, 12:40:49 pm »
A completely new person with no experience expecting or asking for 2.4 (which is 2.8 - 2.9 when you factor in housing) is still mad in my opinion.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2019, 06:17:35 pm »
A completely new person with no experience expecting or asking for 2.4 (which is 2.8 - 2.9 when you factor in housing) is still mad in my opinion.

I don't recall anyone saying that a new, inexperienced teacher should be earning what you mentioned.....did that sneak in somewhere?

I am seeing more and more jobs on the FB groups....2.0 for 2-9, 2.0 for 9-6...I even saw some rad-tag recruiter posting 1.8 for a 1-7:30.

It is just ridiculous...and these greenhorns that think it is the norm, is even more astounding.  But sadly, the 2005-2007 salaries are becoming the norm again. 

Way to keep up a competitive fight, Korea.  Folks are going elsewhere, jumping ship and what do schools do?  They start offering less.....

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2019, 09:38:10 pm »
at the start of next semester i'm moving to a new school in China (from my current one in China).
nice pay bump up to 4.3 million Won per month from my current 3.2 mil.
2-3 months paid vacation. 12 x 45 minute class period per week (this is about the same at my current school).

meanwhile people in korea are busy fighting over 1 or 200,000 Won extra a month.
Korea is finished as a destination for EFL teaching. move to China or Vietnam, or do some online training that will allow you to get a job back home.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2019, 10:02:34 pm »
at the start of next semester i'm moving to a new school in China (from my current one in China).
nice pay bump up to 4.3 million Won per month from my current 3.2 mil.
2-3 months paid vacation. 12 x 45 minute class period per week (this is about the same at my current school).

meanwhile people in korea are busy fighting over 1 or 200,000 Won extra a month.
Korea is finished as a destination for EFL teaching. move to China or Vietnam, or do some online training that will allow you to get a job back home.

I would not say that....there will always be those who don't know any better.  However, for those who want to make more money which makes the hassles seem like less of a burden, yes....folks are going elsewhere. 

Japan even seems like a more desirable place...granted, wages have been the same since 2007 (perhaps longer) but you still have more employment mobility with the visa and still receive at least 4 weeks of paid personal vacation with private language schools. 

Yet...Korea just digs its heals in....bottom line, they don't want foreign teachers. 

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2019, 07:30:28 am »

It equates to around 9.25 an hour on a 40 hour week, which isn't that great at all. 7.70 is the current minimum wage (8.21 if you are 25) Considering the sacrifice of being away from home, cost for documentation etc. I think thats acceptable.