Read 11811 times

• hulme187
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 12:54:02 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk, Korea
Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2019, 07:43:04 am »
I was just told that if I come into school on May 1st I will get an extra vacation day off in Summer or Winter. That doesn't sound bad.

« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2019, 07:55:12 am »
I was just told that if I come into school on May 1st I will get an extra vacation day off in Summer or Winter. That doesn't sound bad.
Lol. I don't think they meant it like that. They probably meant that if you decide to stay home May 1st then you'll have a day deducted from your summer/winter vacation, but if you come in to work you'll get an 'extra' day (i.e. the original alottment.)   

Does that make sense?

• hulme187
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 12:54:02 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk, Korea
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2019, 09:26:45 am »
Lol. I don't think they meant it like that. They probably meant that if you decide to stay home May 1st then you'll have a day deducted from your summer/winter vacation, but if you come in to work you'll get an 'extra' day (i.e. the original alottment.)   

Does that make sense?

Yeah it makes sense and I specified to my co very slowly to make sure she understood and she said I would get an extra day in Summer or Winter. I'll check the contract anyway.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2019, 10:41:22 am »

Does that make sense?

Yeah it makes sense and I specified to my co very slowly to make sure she understood and she said I would get an extra day in Summer or Winter. I'll check the contract anyway.

Nothing your coworker says today will help you when it comes to collect that "bonus" holiday day come vacation period.
Get it in writing, or be prepared to kiss it goodbye.

• hangook77
  • Expert Waygook

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2019, 03:18:58 pm »
Anyone's school going to enforce the 26 days including school holidays now?  I get my new contract later this month and I am hoping my schools won't enforce it.  Also, my 5 days I get for renewing this contract I can't take in the middle of the semester so I always have to take it the following summer vacation when the new contract is in effect.  But the folks who renewed on March first got to take theirs before their contract ended in February.  I don't know if they will be assholes about this or not.

I actually ended up telling them about the school holiday vacation day rule.  I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have realised if I hadn't told them.  The reason I told them is because the Office of Education can see whatever is reported on NEIS so I thought I'd better just be honest  :undecided:

My schools have always used an attendance sheet for signing in and out if I leave early or have a sick day or something.  I don't use any computer system.  So, not sure about that.  But bureaucrats probably don't go through your file with a fine tooth comb.  But pricks always abound.  So, you never know. 

• hangook77
  • Expert Waygook

• Near Busan
« Reply #205 on: April 09, 2019, 03:23:27 pm »
PS teacher here. According to one of my coworkers, I can no longer have May 1st as a holiday due to the change in labor laws. She told me after the weekly teacher's meeting and that my handler will explain more to me tomorrow. If I still want it off, I must use a vacation day. I just wanted to pass this along and see if anyone here has received such news as well.

What does your new contract say?  I'm on the old contract for another month or so.  My 2018 contract allows me to have that day.  I am curious what the 2019 contract will say about the May 1st holiday.  I would volunteer to take a week off in May and another in October if I could due to the better weather here.  Winter and Summer here the weather sucks, but is obviously good for travel.  Staying in Korea during that time means staying in with the heating or staying in with the air conditioning. 

« Reply #206 on: April 09, 2019, 03:55:01 pm »
Anyone's school going to enforce the 26 days including school holidays now?  I get my new contract later this month and I am hoping my schools won't enforce it.  Also, my 5 days I get for renewing this contract I can't take in the middle of the semester so I always have to take it the following summer vacation when the new contract is in effect.  But the folks who renewed on March first got to take theirs before their contract ended in February.  I don't know if they will be assholes about this or not.

I actually ended up telling them about the school holiday vacation day rule.  I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have realised if I hadn't told them.  The reason I told them is because the Office of Education can see whatever is reported on NEIS so I thought I'd better just be honest  :undecided:

My schools have always used an attendance sheet for signing in and out if I leave early or have a sick day or something.  I don't use any computer system.  So, not sure about that.  But bureaucrats probably don't go through your file with a fine tooth comb.  But pricks always abound.  So, you never know. 

I was really surprised when one day the MOE co-ordinator called me at work to talk about some "problems" with the information that had been submitted to NEIS by my coteacher.  So since then I've assumed that our MOEs can see everything.

• m.corless
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #207 on: April 09, 2019, 09:35:34 pm »

Does that make sense?

Nothing your coworker says today will help you when it comes to collect that "bonus" holiday day come vacation period.

Yup. The promise of an extra day later is a big risk. Vacation days and May 1st are written separately in the contracts. If you deviate from that now in the hopes of it being "repaid" to you later on, buyer beware.

« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2019, 11:18:33 am »

Does that make sense?

Yup. The promise of an extra day later is a big risk. Vacation days and May 1st are written separately in the contracts. If you deviate from that now in the hopes of it being "repaid" to you later on, buyer beware.
i work in daejeon, and i asked my co-teacher if it's cool if i come in on may 1st and just get an extra holiday in the summer/winter (he lets me do that for other school holidays) and he said for this one, i won't get "reimbursed" an extra vacation day if i do that. he told me to stay at home.

i will say that my co-teacher is really on top of his stuff when it comes to me and my contract and is always super organized and well informed so maaaaaaybe your co-teacher accidentally made a mistake?

or i guess u could always just come to school on may 1st and wait n see? :P

• busanite
  • Adventurer

• November 22, 2010, 08:12:58 am
    • Busan
« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2019, 01:17:10 pm »
I had my Co-teacher phone the education office and the official sided with my school on this issue.  Therefore, if I wanted to take May 1st off, I'd need to use my paid holiday for that. I work in the southern Gyeongsang province, fyi (GOE).

« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2019, 01:51:24 pm »
I had my Co-teacher phone the education office and the official sided with my school on this issue.  Therefore, if I wanted to take May 1st off, I'd need to use my paid holiday for that. I work in the southern Gyeongsang province, fyi (GOE).

This an unwelcome surprise then.  So even though it says in our contracts that we don't work on May 1st, we have to use a vacation day?  I'm stunned that the office of education said that.

• busanite
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2019, 02:17:19 pm »
I texted with the coordinator who works at the education office and he texted to me that the change in labor law and the Labor Day holiday were separate but somebody else my coteacher spoke to said otherwise. I relayed the info back to him. I'll reply when I get a response from him. I like to think it's a mixup but I'm not hopeful it is. Also, maybe this is a provincial dilemma and other offices interpret it differently.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:35:18 pm by busanite »

• hangook77
  • Expert Waygook

• Near Busan
« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2019, 02:22:08 pm »
I'm guessing some idiot at the education office doesn't want to know what they are talking about.  You never ask your coteacher to call the education office and seek clarification.  You just do it.  No one in Korea ever wants to take responsibility and most will err on extreme caution even if it means taking too strict of an interpretation for you.  Call the labor board instead and have them clarify to your school or the education office. 

As for me, I'm still on the old contract (2018) till just as couple of weeks after that day.  So, we'll see if I have to argue with them or not this year. 

« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2019, 08:40:15 am »
No one in Korea ever wants to take responsibility and most will err on extreme caution even if it means taking too strict of an interpretation for you.

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'no one in Korea ever', but it is often true.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2019, 08:52:29 am »
I texted with the coordinator who works at the education office and he texted to me that the change in labor law and the Labor Day holiday were separate but somebody else my coteacher spoke to said otherwise. I relayed the info back to him. I'll reply when I get a response from him. I like to think it's a mixup but I'm not hopeful it is. Also, maybe this is a provincial dilemma and other offices interpret it differently.

In Jeollanamdo, the co-ordinator has already begun saying, that May 1st, by law, requires ALL contract workers in Korea to have the day off. The problems often stem from, Korean teachers not being contract workers, while we are all contract workers, and they (the school / co-T) want you to come to school on that day.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2019, 08:58:21 am »

In Jeollanamdo, the co-ordinator has already begun saying, that May 1st, by law, requires ALL contract workers in Korea to have the day off. The problems often stem from, Korean teachers not being contract workers, while we are all contract workers, and they (the school / co-T) want you to come to school on that day.
Likewise in Gyeongsanbuk-do. It's essentially a red day for contract workers. Just like Buddha's b-day, Chuseok, Seolnal, etc. We don't use up our vacation days for it because it is a statuary holiday, not a discretionary holiday.
   I hope that you can get things worked out!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2019, 09:11:51 am »

Likewise in Gyeongsanbuk-do. It's essentially a red day for contract workers. Just like Buddha's b-day, Chuseok, Seolnal, etc. We don't use up our vacation days for it because it is a statuary holiday, not a discretionary holiday.
   I hope that you can get things worked out!

I also forgot to add, we're being told not to accept a change of date for it too, as the weekend after is a long weekend, the schools could use a discretionary day to make it a bit longer, and chances are, it'll just be moved to that day.

Yeah, I also hope it gets worked out.

• busanite
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2019, 03:31:59 pm »
Update: There was a misunderstanding between the school and education office which has been cleared up. I will not come to school on May 1st.

• hangook77
  • Expert Waygook

• Near Busan
« Reply #218 on: Today at 01:16:15 pm »
Update: There was a misunderstanding between the school and education office which has been cleared up. I will not come to school on May 1st.

Big surprise.  Many folks here don't know their head from their ass.  Instead of letting something be simple everyone panics and makes a big deal and creates drama out of nothing.  Honestly, most here are so fearful of taking any risk or responsibility.  I try to do without asking and beg forgiveness later as much as possible.