Read 16551 times

Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2019, 10:03:17 am »
Depends how you do the numb
A completely new person with no experience expecting or asking for 2.4 (which is 2.8 - 2.9 when you factor in housing) is still mad in my opinion.

It equates to around 9.25 an hour on a 40 hour week, which isn't that great at all. 7.70 is the current minimum wage (8.21 if you are 25) Considering the sacrifice of being away from home, cost for documentation etc. I think thats acceptable.
ers.
A completely new person with no experience expecting or asking for 2.4 (which is 2.8 - 2.9 when you factor in housing) is still mad in my opinion.

It equates to around 9.25 an hour on a 40 hour week, which isn't that great at all. 7.70 is the current minimum wage (8.21 if you are 25) Considering the sacrifice of being away from home, cost for documentation etc. I think thats acceptable.

Depends how you do the numbers. 25 teaching hours a week at 2.8 mil would be 18.36 pounds a teaching hour.

• Colburnnn
  • Adventurer

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2019, 11:04:39 am »
Depends how you do the numb

ers.

Depends how you do the numbers. 25 teaching hours a week at 2.8 mil would be 18.36 pounds a teaching hour.

Right, but you're in the office for 40 hours. (commonly) Plus are you doing your planning for free? 2.4 mil divided by 4.2 (Weeks in a month 570,000) divided by 40 (hours per week 14,250) 9.30 per hour ish

Regardless, it is better than you'd get sat at the till in Sainsbury's
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:10:23 am by Colburnnn »

« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2019, 01:48:56 pm »
I'm on an August contract, so my contract still has the standard 18 days of paid vacation leave, yet we were told today that the principal has decided to close the school on the 7th of June due to the holiday on the 6th (Thursday). I'm being told I have to use a vacation day due to having this day off due to the law change. I was under the impression that this law change didn't apply to me until I sign my new contract in August. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #243 on: May 23, 2019, 01:58:11 pm »
I'm on an August contract, so my contract still has the standard 18 days of paid vacation leave, yet we were told today that the principal has decided to close the school on the 7th of June due to the holiday on the 6th (Thursday). I'm being told I have to use a vacation day due to having this day off due to the law change. I was under the impression that this law change didn't apply to me until I sign my new contract in August. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

It shouldn't cost you a vacation day until you are on the new contract.
I don't have anything official on that but, at least that is how it's being handled in JLP.

• lhelena
  • Adventurer

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2019, 02:41:08 pm »

It shouldn't cost you a vacation day until you are on the new contract.
I don't have anything official on that but, at least that is how it's being handled in JLP.

Yeah the rule they're using to tell you that is only on the newest revision of the contract and only Spring people have that one. I would just show them your contract and not budge on it because that shouldn't be happening. They can't take stuff from a contract you haven't signed yet and make you adhere to it.

• Vee94
  • Waygookin

• November 16, 2016, 12:50:12 pm
    • UK
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2019, 03:13:55 pm »
I'm on an August contract,.....I was under the impression that this law change didn't apply to me until I sign my new contract in August. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

What MOE/POE are you with? I'm under Gyeongsangnam-do and they decided that any teachers who signed their contract after June 1st 2018 would now have the new contract applied to them. I'm a November contract, and even though I still haven't actually signed the new contract the new rules now apply to me.

I'd double check if the new rules apply to you despite being an August contract, since you'll also be entitled to extra vacation even if some of those day will be used for discretionary holidays like the one you mentioned.

Otherwise try to get it in writing that the new contract doesn't apply to you yet and show your principal your contract to support your point.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2019, 04:54:09 pm »

Is it?
Salary: KRW2.8m
Visa: G1 over 6months
House: free
Food: free

« Reply #247 on: May 24, 2019, 09:43:26 am »
I'm on an August contract,.....I was under the impression that this law change didn't apply to me until I sign my new contract in August. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

What MOE/POE are you with? I'm under Gyeongsangnam-do and they decided that any teachers who signed their contract after June 1st 2018 would now have the new contract applied to them. I'm a November contract, and even though I still haven't actually signed the new contract the new rules now apply to me.

I'd double check if the new rules apply to you despite being an August contract, since you'll also be entitled to extra vacation even if some of those day will be used for discretionary holidays like the one you mentioned.

Otherwise try to get it in writing that the new contract doesn't apply to you yet and show your principal your contract to support your point.

They cannot legally revoke terms from a contract you signed without your consent. The new contract does not apply to you yet. Having said that, the contract you're still under does say that the day off is at the discretion of the principal. They could use that to screw you.

I don't know if it's the same person, but the woman in charge of the Gyeongnam NET program in 2015 was not a nice woman. If the same piece of work is still in charge, I'm not surprised that they're doing this.

« Reply #248 on: May 24, 2019, 09:57:54 am »

They cannot legally revoke terms from a contract you signed without your consent. The new contract does not apply to you yet. Having said that, the contract you're still under does say that the day off is at the discretion of the principal. They could use that to screw you.

I don't know if it's the same person, but the woman in charge of the Gyeongnam NET program in 2015 was not a nice woman. If the same piece of work is still in charge, I'm not surprised that they're doing this.

Honestly, if they wanna be petty and make me come and deskwarm because I wanted them to follow my contract, I'd be totally okay with that. I'd just rather not give up a vacation day when I already planned things in advance.

« Reply #249 on: May 24, 2019, 10:37:57 am »

Honestly, if they wanna be petty and make me come and deskwarm because I wanted them to follow my contract, I'd be totally okay with that. I'd just rather not give up a vacation day when I already planned things in advance.

I'd make an issue out of it. Your old contract applies. The principal has always had a veto, however.

Most people are just idiots when it comes to interpreting contracts and such. I doubt your school is even being malicious at this point, so go and talk to the principal with your contract in hand.

« Reply #250 on: May 24, 2019, 11:52:23 am »
If they really want you to use a vacation day - because of the new law - then surely you should be getting 26 days vacation - because of the new law!  You could try this approach.  Surely the new law can't be used sometimes but not others!

They may not agree to this - in which case I would prefer to sit at school on my own rather than lose one of my vacation days - especially if I am planning on being out of the country (as I usually am).

« Reply #251 on: May 24, 2019, 12:21:34 pm »
If they really want you to use a vacation day - because of the new law -

Another person who does not understand.

There is no new law which requires people to use a vacation day on these special days off.

Public school contracts simply removed a clause that allowed contract teachers a day off on such days, as part of a petty response to a new law which requires 26 paid vacation days.

Some education offices are now attempting to apply the terms of the new contract to teachers who are not yet working under the new contract.

They are not following the law. They are breaking contract law and need to be told so. However, the principal still has the power to say no to the day off according to the original contract.