Read 12229 times

Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2019, 10:46:20 am »
I got the contract for Busan.  It's the same as the others.

School birthdays etc will mean we must use a vacation day.
Five day renewal bonus removed.

The contract says this about summer and winter vacation:

For the smooth operation of the programming of the school, the Employee shall have vacation for 10 days in summer and 10 days in winter.

So it looks like they're actually capping the vacation days we can use in summer and winter.  Hurrah!

Orientation is next week so I guess we'll find out about the disappearing five day bonus then  :-[

« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2019, 11:02:21 am »

For the smooth operation of the programming of the school, the Employee shall have vacation for 10 days in summer and 10 days in winter.

So it looks like they're actually capping the vacation days we can use in summer and winter.  Hurrah!

Orientation is next week so I guess we'll find out about the disappearing five day bonus then  :-[

Wait... so we're gonna get 20 vacation days to use in the summer and winter (combined). So we have to find 6 random days throughout the years to use the others?

« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2019, 12:53:03 pm »

Wait... so we're gonna get 20 vacation days to use in the summer and winter (combined). So we have to find 6 random days throughout the years to use the others?

Yeah it sounds like it.  I've attached it so you can have a look.  That feeling of bitterness is rising in me again because if they refuse the five day bonus, I'm actually worse off than before.

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2019, 01:29:22 pm »
Yeah it sounds like it.  I've attached it so you can have a look.  That feeling of bitterness is rising in me again because if they refuse the five day bonus, I'm actually worse off than before.

Yeah... so we have to go in again for a contract-related meeting next week, right? Maybe someone will ask...

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2019, 01:36:56 pm »

Yeah... so we have to go in again for a contract-related meeting next week, right? Maybe someone will ask...

Next week yeah.  Tuesday and Wednesday Elementary teachers, Thursday for Middle and High.

« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2019, 01:42:13 pm »
Hi
I went to get my replacement contract in Daejeon yesterday and we have the same clause.  I raised it with the person I spoke with and she just didn't seem to understand me when I said I was losing the 5 renewal days.  It seems the NETS all understand it!!!

Back in the day (ie a few years ago - 2012 and earlier) we used to get 'two (2) calendar weeks paid leave which shall take place during the nearest school vacation to the first day of the renewal contract with the condition of the days not conflicting with the school schedule.  This two-week leave will be counted as part of the contract term, and, accordingly, salary will be paid as normal for these two weeks.  The period of this renewal vacation may be negotiated with the school to be held in the next school vacation which is within six months from the first day of the contract if necessary.'

As I recall it, those with the end of February finish/start were expected to take their renewal leave during the spring vacation.  There was some difficulty for those starting end of August as the summer vacation wasn't long enough - hence the 'within six months' clause. 

In the Spring 2013 contract the two weeks were reduced to one calander week for renewal days. 

[I do recall being told that if we changed school we should take the renewal days with the school we had been with for the previous 12 months as the new school was not obliged to grant those renewal days.  This was verbal at a re-signing session.  Not too sure what year that was - and as it wasn't in writing I guess it isn't binding!]

Up to (and including) the 2017 Spring Contract the wording was 'during the nearest school vacation TO the first day of the renewal contract' (captilization is mine).  The 2018 Spring Contract the wording changed to 'during the nearest schol vacation FROM the first day of the renewal contract.  This wording seems to make it less ambiguous but also harder to take the leave as a solid block of time.

All contracts had 'The period of this renewal vacation may be negotiated with the school to be held in the next school vacation wich is within six months from the first day of the contract if necessary.'  This indicates that it may not be necessary!

If we do not receive these 5 renewal days for the 2018 contract I will have 'lost' those days.  I think the 26 days is simpler and I have no problems with not having the renewal days in the 2019 contract - but I do think the 2018 contract should be honoured.

I am not happy with this situation and this is just a 'blurt' (and has not been thought out that clearly).   I do plan to seek clarification, in writing, from the Daejeon Office of Education.  If they don't plan to allow the 5 days renewal leave I do plan to see if I can go further with this.  I am guessing it might be best to check with the Labour Board to make sure there is not some Government ruling which has nullified this clause in our contracts. 

I don't really like the idea of doing this.  I don't like  having to fight for what is in the contract but it affects a lot of people not just me. 

Anyway that is just my side of the story (to add to the other entries on here).

« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2019, 02:34:54 pm »
Thanks for the detailed post about your experience, JenniferNZ1.

It really feels like they're playing dumb and hoping we just accept and drop it.  You'll have to let us know what you hear from your office of education about it.

I can't understand how they think that removing it from the new contract magically voids it from the previous contract.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2019, 04:46:34 pm »
With these new vacation rules, just hope that your main handler is a full-time teacher. And not one of those English Conversation teachers (they have similar contracts as NET's), since the convo teacher will probably feel you'd have to suffer the same fate, and follow the contract exactly as stated.

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2019, 03:41:51 am »
Gangwondo just sent out it's memo about the vacation day changes:
"1. From 2019 on-wards, paid leave will be 26 days for both new and renewing teachers per year
 2. Renewal bonus days of 5 days no longer applies. It's just 26 days each year for everyone.
 3. The changes will be made effective for all teachers who signed their current contracts AFTER May 29th 2018. So, all Fall EPIK teachers (Aug, Sept, Oct) regardless of whether they are new or renewing, will have 26 days of paid leave for their current contract term. Example) Bob renewed his August contract in 2018. He used up 10 days so far. He has 16 more days to use up before his current term of employment ends in August 2019.
 4. The changes will apply to Spring Intake teachers AFTER they renew their contracts in February/March 2019. Non-renewing Spring teachers do not get additional paid leave vacations unfortunately.
 5. From now on, NETs will have to use their paid vacations for total school closure days: like school anniversaries."

I'm hoping my school just forgets about #5.
I'm so glad i left korea. So they increased basic vacation due to a government law - which was already at minimum anyway - but stripped away renewal vacation and now you have to use vacation days for school anniversary, bridge days, etc. So at best you come out even, but most people who are in their 2nd contract onwards are going to come out worse. And if you refuse to use a vacation day for bridge days etc? You are going to come in and be literally the only person there? How are you even going to get into the school if it's all locked up?

Meanwhile I'm over here in China enjoying one of my 3 weeks of fully paid winter vacation. Got 6 weeks last summer. And 1 week for Autumn Harvest Festival. You guys are wasting your time in Korea.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:50:57 am by kobayashi »

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2019, 08:03:49 am »

That's only 20 days.  Where's the other 6?

« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2019, 08:21:33 am »

That's only 20 days.  Where's the other 6?

to be used throughout the year, i guess?

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2019, 08:35:49 am »

It really feels like they're playing dumb and hoping we just accept and drop it.  You'll have to let us know what you hear from your office of education about it.

I can't understand how they think that removing it from the new contract magically voids it from the previous contract.

The Jeolla education office is honoring the 5 renewal days when switching over to this new contract. As it is in the current contract, that when you renew, you are granted 5 extra vacation days to use at will.
New teachers will get the 26, and people who are renewing this year, will get 26+5 renewal, but from next year, everyone will go back to 26 days vacation.

« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2019, 09:29:31 am »

The Jeolla education office is honoring the 5 renewal days when switching over to this new contract. As it is in the current contract, that when you renew, you are granted 5 extra vacation days to use at will.
New teachers will get the 26, and people who are renewing this year, will get 26+5 renewal, but from next year, everyone will go back to 26 days vacation.

That's what I like to hear! 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2019, 09:37:46 am »

We also liked to hear that.
They are also going to be making sure the principal's of schools here, will provide a way for foreign teachers to come to school if they don't want to use a vacation day on the bridge days / school anniversary days, without causing issues with the school.

« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:46 am »

They are also going to be making sure the principal's of schools here, will provide a way for foreign teachers to come to school if they don't want to use a vacation day on the bridge days / school anniversary days, without causing issues with the school.

It gets better and better!  Glad to hear it  :smiley:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2019, 09:47:13 am »

Yeah! The Jeolla education office seems really great! And the English co-ordinator is really good at relaying info to us, and to the office on our behalves!

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2019, 10:50:25 am »

Yeah! The Jeolla education office seems really great! And the English co-ordinator is really good at relaying info to us, and to the office on our behalves!

The important question is, how can those of us from... erm... less great PoEs use this as leverage to get ours to be more like yours? Seeing that some provinces are still giving the +5 but knowing mine isn't is making my dweskwarming time a bit more grumbly.

« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2019, 11:53:42 am »
+1

I haven't worked with any other co-ordinators in Korea, but I'd imagine Devi's as good as they come.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2019, 12:15:03 pm »
The important question is, how can those of us from... erm... less great PoEs use this as leverage to get ours to be more like yours? Seeing that some provinces are still giving the +5 but knowing mine isn't is making my dweskwarming time a bit more grumbly.
   I'm not sure, but I DO know that complaining to the POEs about how Jeollaian teachers get extra days is not the way to do it. As it's easier to nerf the contracts of a few teachers in a single province than buff the contracts of everybody else in the country, what'll happen is that their POE will eventually say something like "Sorry guys, but the guv is getting too many complaints from the other teachers, so we need to take away your extra days. :undecided: ". This will be followed closely by JLP teachers stealthily entering our one room apartments in the dead of night and bludgeoning us to death with rolled up copies of their contracts.

If you don't believe me, go look at the reasons why deskwarming is now mandatory across all POEs.  :sad:

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2019, 12:37:12 pm »
   I'm not sure, but I DO know that complaining to the POEs about how Jeollaian teachers get extra days is not the way to do it. As it's easier to nerf the contracts of a few teachers in a single province than buff the contracts of everybody else in the country, what'll happen is that their POE will eventually say something like "Sorry guys, but the guv is getting too many complaints from the other teachers, so we need to take away your extra days. :undecided: ". This will be followed closely by JLP teachers stealthily entering our one room apartments in the dead of night and bludgeoning us to death with rolled up copies of their contracts.

If you don't believe me, go look at the reasons why deskwarming is now mandatory across all POEs.  :sad:

Yeah, I had considered that very thing. I've been here long enough to know better, haha. I suspect this is just going to end up another "You're f*cked and there's nothing you can do about it" sort of situations.