Read 4533 times

Re: Whats your strategy to have enough money to live off by the time you are 63
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2018, 12:42:20 pm »
Oh dear. A lot of red. And I though Republicans were great at running the economy/
I agree that the right-wing stuff about Democrats running states into the ground is a bunch of nonsense, but you also have to factor in their debt and their overall outlook.

I'm not sure where, but I think that once you factor in everything you get a pretty even distribution. You've got some high debt basketcases run by Dems and you have some terrible economy "would barely be OECD" type states run by Republicans, some business friendly high-growth states run by Republicans and same with the Dems and then a bunch of states in the middle, some with good economies but bad debt structure, others with mediocre economies but are relatively okay in terms of debt or you have to factor in their population size and such.

Both parties know how to eff up a state pretty well if left to their worst impulses. 

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2018, 12:55:32 pm »
Both parties know how to eff up a state pretty well if left to their worst impulses.
No argument from me there.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 05:30:19 pm »
But then you have eslers saying it's fine which is part of the problem.  Damn apologists.  But EPIK did say they had some shortage of teachers.  So, that may help push wages up if it keeps up.

They're rejecting people and they have a shortage?

I've just been rejected by EPIK! It's frustrating. I am an experienced teacher, and I have good references

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 08:55:21 pm »
But then you have eslers saying it's fine which is part of the problem.  Damn apologists.  But EPIK did say they had some shortage of teachers.  So, that may help push wages up if it keeps up.

They're rejecting people and they have a shortage?

I've just been rejected by EPIK! It's frustrating. I am an experienced teacher, and I have good references

An experienced teacher is not what they want.
There is a shortage of barely* qualified people willing to do the job for the pay offered.

*They don't want to waste time with somebody who is going to consider the job beneath them and leave after a few weeks.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2018, 10:14:44 pm »
If you thought stealing lottery tickets was irrational, consider all those back home whose retirement hopes hinge on BUYING lottery tickets.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 10:47:54 pm »

[/quote]

Why did they reject you? Any idea?

usually they do not want experienced teachers, they want inexperienced ones, the younger the better, with a certain look (white, fair-haired, american, female). I'm assuming you don't fit that description.
Catch my drift?

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2018, 12:05:29 am »
Good News.  If you save 1k a month you'll be a millionaire by retirement. Teaching ESL for life son.  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/12/how-much-money-youll-have-in-retirement-if-you-save-500-dollars-a-month.html

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
The way costs are going up here, it's going to be not staying here.  Unless salaries are going up, I'd say exiting within the next 5 years.  This is as someone speaking from a 3 plus million won a month total compensation.  I'm still not hurting as much, but will start feeling the pinch.  (Are folks still taking 2.1 million with no return flight?  I couldn't even imagine.)

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
The way costs are going up here, it's going to be not staying here.  Unless salaries are going up, I'd say exiting within the next 5 years.  This is as someone speaking from a 3 plus million won a month total compensation.  I'm still not hurting as much, but will start feeling the pinch.  (Are folks still taking 2.1 million with no return flight?  I couldn't even imagine.)

That's funny timing because my wife just told me that a high profile investor from America was on a talk show this morning and said that Korea is going to be a place to watch.  He claims those who left will want to come back and when unification happens the economy will explode.  Take it with a grain of salt, but I find the timing interesting that an expert is saying the exact opposite of you.   Coming from my wife so I have no first hand knowledge of what he actually said.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm

That's funny timing because my wife just told me that a high profile investor from America was on a talk show this morning and said that Korea is going to be a place to watch.  He claims those who left will want to come back and when unification happens the economy will explode.  Take it with a grain of salt, but I find the timing interesting that an expert is saying the exact opposite of you.   Coming from my wife so I have no first hand knowledge of what he actually said.
Was the guy Jim Rogers? He's very optimistic on a post-united Korea. Says it'll be like China from that 1980-2000-ish era. Thinks the North will have like double digit growth for a generation, since South Korean, Japanese, and Chinese, companies will stampede in there, and take advantage of cheap labor. Basically everything they will have to do from scratch, and get it up to South Korean standards as fast as they can. And it's the south Korean government that will reap the financial benefits of divvying up the pie. It'll, for sure, be fascinating to watch if it does happen within our lifetime.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea

Was the guy Jim Rogers? He's very optimistic on a post-united Korea. Says it'll be like China from that 1980-2000-ish era. Thinks the North will have like double digit growth for a generation, since South Korean, Japanese, and Chinese, companies will stampede in there, and take advantage of cheap labor. Basically everything they will have to do from scratch, and get it up to South Korean standards as fast as they can. And it's the south Korean government that will reap the financial benefits of divvying up the pie. It'll, for sure, be fascinating to watch if it does happen within our lifetime.

I'm not sure who the expert was, but my reaction was the same as yours.  To me that's a very hopeful outcome that still seems unlikely, but one never knows.  I do agree that particular action could make Korea a very wealthy place, but it's still kind of far-fetched in my mind.  I'm also not sure if he gave other reasons why, but that seemed to be the main talking point.  My wife was watching it while getting ready, so she didn't catch it all.  I can tell you that if she didn't hear it on a talk show, it's not true lol.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea

I'm not sure who the expert was, but my reaction was the same as yours.  To me that's a very hopeful outcome that still seems unlikely, but one never knows.  I do agree that particular action could make Korea a very wealthy place, but it's still kind of far-fetched in my mind.  I'm also not sure if he gave other reasons why, but that seemed to be the main talking point.  My wife was watching it while getting ready, so she didn't catch it all.  I can tell you that if she didn't hear it on a talk show, it's not true lol.

The right investments in such a situation will pay off handsomely.

The big question is which investments.

The right investments, sure, but EFL/ESL as your main source of income?

Maybe if you go to the middle east for a while.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
 Become a youtube actor
monetize your account.
The crazier you are the better.
Eat raw meat and talk about how the world is flat.
The mushroom told me to eat an egg.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
The mushroom told me to eat an egg.

The joys of fauxtherhood

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Finding a place with a low cost of living is important to saving but those places are becoming fewer and fewer, at least ones offering good employment. Denver teachers, for example,  are on strike because they can no longer afford to live in the city on a teacher's salary and the second job income many of them have had to resort to.

North Dakota? South America? Portugal?

Die at 62, problem solved.

But you could live until you are 90. You simply donít know unless you willing to top yourself at retirement age. A somewhat dark and depressing thought.

But you could live until you are 90. You simply donít know unless you willing to top yourself at retirement age. A somewhat dark and depressing thought.

The Lotus Eater (Sommerset Maughan)

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more

This was clearly not meant as a serious comment. Jesus, hahahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood