Read 1202 times

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
Gmarket shipping
« on: December 23, 2018, 12:58:43 am »
I ordered something on Gmarket a few days ago and it says on the app “preparing for shipment 2019-01-11. Does this mean it isn’t even going to be shipped until January 11th?? Or are these dates just automated?

Also, is there a way to actually see how long delivery will take before you buy something? Like on amazon for example you can choose standard delivery and it’ll say (3-4 business days) for example or you can pay extra for next day?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Gmarket shipping
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 06:06:22 am »
Short answer: Looks like you will have to wait (or cancel).

Long version: Sometimes there is a wall of Korean text in the .jpg files that make up the listing that includes a shipping estimate.  Many Gmarket sellers don’t have thier own inventory, so they (attempt) to buy your product overseas after you order it. I only use Gmarket for things that are made in or are easy to get in Korea. Amazon is usually “in stock”, lower priced and quicker for imports.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 09:08:09 am »
What JNM said.

Many unscrupulous sellers will also lock you in with that "preparing to ship" status to make it more difficult for you to cancel because you can't just click a button to cancel once a seller does this. You have to contact Gmarket directly and get them to do it for you, which, a lot of the time, isn't automatic -- they'll want to contact the seller first and will tell you to wait something like a week while they await a response.

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 09:48:19 am »
Ok thanks guys, I emailed the seller so we’ll see what happens. I won’t be in the country by the time it’s shipped so I was looking for something a bit quicker.

Is there a way of seeing how long the delivery will take before you buy stuff? Like with other websites where you can choose the delivery option and it tells you how long it will take?

Also, what other websites are there here apart from Gmarket which are good for finding anything, like the Korean equivalent of amazon?

• Periwinkle
  • Veteran

• December 13, 2010, 06:34:34 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 05:34:41 pm »
Ok thanks guys, I emailed the seller so we’ll see what happens. I won’t be in the country by the time it’s shipped so I was looking for something a bit quicker.

Is there a way of seeing how long the delivery will take before you buy stuff? Like with other websites where you can choose the delivery option and it tells you how long it will take?

Also, what other websites are there here apart from Gmarket which are good for finding anything, like the Korean equivalent of amazon?
I'd recommend Coupang (쿠팡). http://m.coupang.com/nm/
There is also a mobile app.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 07:41:06 am »
What JNM said.

Many unscrupulous sellers will also lock you in with that "preparing to ship" status to make it more difficult for you to cancel because you can't just click a button to cancel once a seller does this. You have to contact Gmarket directly and get them to do it for you, which, a lot of the time, isn't automatic -- they'll want to contact the seller first and will tell you to wait something like a week while they await a response.

Aaaaactually!

As long as it's still in 'preparing to ship' (배송준비중) status, on Gmarket or Auction, you can still cancel instantly and your refund is processed super quickly. All you have to do is click the button that says '주문취소요청' (it's literally the only button that displays when you're in 배송준비중 status) and it'll cancel the order immediately. It's only slightly difficult to cancel orders after they've shipped.

Also, tangentially - where do people find these weird items that take forever to ship? 80% of everything we buy at our home comes from Gmarket, and I've only ever encountered those long delays when it's an item that's listed as coming from abroad (해외). Domestic stuff is always fast.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 08:35:34 am »
What JNM said.

Aaaaactually!

As long as it's still in 'preparing to ship' (배송준비중) status, on Gmarket or Auction, you can still cancel instantly and your refund is processed super quickly. All you have to do is click the button that says '주문취소요청' (it's literally the only button that displays when you're in 배송준비중 status) and it'll cancel the order immediately. It's only slightly difficult to cancel orders after they've shipped.

Also, tangentially - where do people find these weird items that take forever to ship? 80% of everything we buy at our home comes from Gmarket, and I've only ever encountered those long delays when it's an item that's listed as coming from abroad (해외). Domestic stuff is always fast.

That's good to know.

Has this always been the case, or did they change it within the last few years or so? I only order from gmarket a couple of times a year, and only for things that are locally available that aren't cheaper on coupang, and only from sellers with good ratings, but a few people I've talked to in the past have told me about their troubles, including the problem with canceling an order once a seller switches the status from "processing the order" to "preparing to ship" status.  It's supposed to be a common tactic by dishonest sellers ordering things from overseas, usually through amazon, to boost their profit margins by forcing current buyers to wait for the sellers to obtain a few more orders for the same product so that they can save on shipping.

Or maybe I'm getting the info wrong and those sellers will switch it to "in shipment" mode.

In any case, I had a friend who waited almost two months before giving up and finally canceling an order that the seller kept telling her would ship within a week. 

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 09:06:40 am »
What JNM said.

Aaaaactually!

That's good to know.

Has this always been the case, or did they change it within the last few years or so? I only order from gmarket a couple of times a year, and only for things that are locally available that aren't cheaper on coupang, and only from sellers with good ratings, but a few people I've talked to in the past have told me about their troubles, including the problem with canceling an order once a seller switches the status from "processing the order" to "preparing to ship" status.  It's supposed to be a common tactic by dishonest sellers ordering things from overseas, usually through amazon, to boost their profit margins by forcing current buyers to wait for the sellers to obtain a few more orders for the same product so that they can save on shipping.

Or maybe I'm getting the info wrong and those sellers will switch it to "in shipment" mode.

In any case, I had a friend who waited almost two months before giving up and finally canceling an order that the seller kept telling her would ship within a week.

As far as I know, it's always been this way, re: cancelling something in shipping prep status.

But you're right, occasionally sellers will mark something as 'shipped' and upload a tracking number and everything, and then it kind of sits in limbo because they haven't actually shipped it. This is because sellers get a small penalty if they have to cancel something because it's out of stock or whatever. So, they mark it as shipped and then the buyer has to cancel it. But, while this is kind of shady and annoying, it's not actually a big problem. You can still just cancel it, and Gmarket will automatically see that the item hasn't actually shipped, and your refund will process automatically - it just takes a little longer to come through. And, really, I only have that happen maybe... once a year? And I order probably 20-30 things per month on Gmarket.

The good thing about Gmarket is that shipping status tracking is integrated. So Gmarket automatically knows if something has been marked as delivered by the delivery company - not by the seller. So you're completely protected. If a shady seller marks something as shipped, but doesn't actually ship it, you're still totally safe, because there isn't going to be a 'delivery completed' put into the system.

Also, anecdotally - I find Gmarket is often a lot cheaper than Coupang for domestic things. You miss out on the Rocket Shipping, though.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 10:07:28 am »
I gave up on Gmarket, because like three orders in a row I was mucked around. Two separate times it was "preparing to ship" for 2 weeks then the seller emailed and said it was sold out. Why did you list the item then? And why did you wait 2 weeks to tell me? Then when they refund the money, which took longer than it should have, it was refunded to my gmarket account instead of my credit card. I don't want to buy anything else from gmarket so don't try to force me to do so by putting my money there. I could rectify it, but it took some time.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 08:30:04 am »
I gave up on Gmarket, because like three orders in a row I was mucked around. Two separate times it was "preparing to ship" for 2 weeks then the seller emailed and said it was sold out. Why did you list the item then? And why did you wait 2 weeks to tell me? Then when they refund the money, which took longer than it should have, it was refunded to my gmarket account instead of my credit card. I don't want to buy anything else from gmarket so don't try to force me to do so by putting my money there. I could rectify it, but it took some time.

Do you mean, if you contact Gmarket, it's possible to have them refund your money back to your original form of payment (credit/debit card) instead of them refunding it to your Gmarket account (as credits for future purchases)?

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 08:34:24 am »

Do you mean, if you contact Gmarket, it's possible to have them refund your money back to your original form of payment (credit/debit card) instead of refunding it to your Gmarket account (as credits for future purchases)?
Yes that is what I mean. I should add that I spent 15 minutes trying to do it myself with my, obviously not as good as I think they are, Korean language skills. The woman was saying it was impossible and I had to use the credit for Gmarket. But I knew that couldn't be right. Couldn't argue my point properly though. So my wife called and they said they could put it on my credit card if requested. Which is pretty fukin stupid if you ask me. Should be automatic.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 09:20:50 am »
Yes that is what I mean. I should add that I spent 15 minutes trying to do it myself with my, obviously not as good as I think they are, Korean language skills. The woman was saying it was impossible and I had to use the credit for Gmarket. But I knew that couldn't be right. Couldn't argue my point properly though. So my wife called and they said they could put it on my credit card if requested. Which is pretty fukin stupid if you ask me. Should be automatic.

Oh, great -- good to know. Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 10:10:15 am »
There's an option for transferring your smile cash into any account, too. You just need to register and set it up for that option.

I have my bank account info registered so that if I get a refund on gmarket, I only have to login and "withdraw" the funds into that account. Shows up after a day or two.

I agree that refunds should automatically be returned to the original payment method, but you can still get your funds transferred without having to contact gmarket about it.