Read 898 times

• amyb72
  • Veteran

• August 04, 2014, 09:01:10 am
    • New Zealand
Changing from E2 to D2 (for masters) but keeping my job?
« on: December 21, 2018, 11:33:29 pm »
I got accepted into a masters program at a university in Korea. I currently teach part-time on an E2 visa and wish to keep this job when I study.
So my first question is do I absolutely have to change my visa from E2 to D2?

I figured it won't be that simple and I probably DO have to change my E2 to a D2. If so has anyone done this and what was the processing time? How was the general process?
Next question, my university is in a different immigration jurisdiction to my workplace. Do I have to go to the immigration office located nearer my university of nearer my workplace?

Thank you!

Re: Changing from E2 to D2 (for masters) but keeping my job?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:38:08 am »
Just keep your job and your E2. If they are willing to sponsor you why change to a D2? Immigration doesnt know that you will start a masters program unless you tell them.

T.C.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

• April 02, 2013, 03:05:44 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 03:56:03 pm »
Your university must report the VISA status of each of its international students. You will likely be caught. Does your university even know about your potential plan to study with an E2. I think you will find that this is not possible.

OP, as you may be aware to switch to a D2, the rules are changing, come January 1st.

As a Master's student, you must have TOPIK level (2 or 3) i forget! To work off campus. Even if you have an undergraguate degree from one of the English speaking countries + passport.

So in summary. I think you will find that working PT off campus, teaching English at your old job will be a no no. Please speak to your International Office at your potential uni. They will give you clearer answers.

You should trust me when i say immigration are paying a very close eye to all International students in Korean universities at the moment.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 05:36:21 pm »
I was talking about the changes to D10 VISA, or what ever it is called. I confused it with the student D2 visa.

Those rules are under review now, changes will be made in 2020. (For D2 and D4) Visas

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 05:47:19 pm »
You cant study and work on an E2?

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 02:21:30 pm »
The op came into this country on an E2. They now want to study a 'full time' Masters course. I'm 90% sure that will require a VISA change.

The D2 VISA has (off campus) work restrictions.

One of the requirements to work off campus is TOPIK (level 2 or 3) i forget. Even if the OP wants to teach English at their old job, these rules will still apply *i believe*

The OP should speak to the International Office at the uni they plan to study at....

• amyb72
  • Veteran

• New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 08:27:17 pm »
Your university must report the VISA status of each of its international students. You will likely be caught. Does your university even know about your potential plan to study with an E2. I think you will find that this is not possible.

OP, as you may be aware to switch to a D2, the rules are changing, come January 1st.

As a Master's student, you must have TOPIK level (2 or 3) i forget! To work off campus. Even if you have an undergraguate degree from one of the English speaking countries + passport.

So in summary. I think you will find that working PT off campus, teaching English at your old job will be a no no. Please speak to your International Office at your potential uni. They will give you clearer answers.

You should trust me when i say immigration are paying a very close eye to all International students in Korean universities at the moment.

I not have plans to study on my E2 if it is illegal (ofv) I would obviously change my visa to D2 if I am legally required to do. Which seems to be the case.
I have Topik 3.
Both my work place and the university know I wish to continue working at my current workplace off campus. Please tell me why this would be a "no no" if I change to a D2 visa ??

• amyb72
  • Veteran

• New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 08:28:19 pm »
*I do not have plans to study on my E2 if it is illegal

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 10:32:15 pm »
Im confused.... Is it somehow illegal for an E2 visa holder to study and hold a job?

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 07:21:12 am »
Im confused.... Is it somehow illegal for an E2 visa holder to study and hold a job?

In the OP's situation (in my humble opinion, it is likely to be the case).

In Mr Chicken's case, I assume you are doing a distance, or online Masters (from an institution outside of Korea), in such case. Who knows! Don't speak about it to Korean immigration and there will be no problems I guess.

The OP case is very specific!

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 09:20:33 am »
your university is going to put you on a d visa.  but i thought you could teach part time as long as you have permission from your school.  i'm not sure if it was for the d2 or d4 visa though.  i've met a few people who have done this and they had to ask for permission to have a part time job. 

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 10:30:05 am »
your university is going to put you on a d visa.  but i thought you could teach part time as long as you have permission from your school.  i'm not sure if it was for the d2 or d4 visa though.  i've met a few people who have done this and they had to ask for permission to have a part time job.

I'm not sure when the rules changed (but they have!). You need to have TOPIK (Korean Language score) (level 2 or 3) to work off campus, even if your job is an English language teacher and you're from one of the 'English speaking countries' on the 'list'.

The OP should specifically speak to the International Office about this, as there is going to be a lot of scrutiny on Korean Universities in 2019.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 10:33:04 am »
OP if my information turns out to be correct, speak to the International Office about the possibility of 'on campus' tutoring. You can legally do this.

This is usually paid, via scholarship, or direct cash payments. I guess you would have a good change being from a 'native speaking country'. 

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 10:36:25 am »
Oh, one more thing. If the Int office does say you are okay to do this. I'd highly recommend you get this in writing, via email, or letter if possible!

I verbal 'it's okay' wont count for much if/when immigration finds out. It'll be on you! 

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 01:16:39 pm »

I'm not sure when the rules changed (but they have!). You need to have TOPIK (Korean Language score) (level 2 or 3) to work off campus, even if your job is an English language teacher and you're from one of the 'English speaking countries' on the 'list'.

The OP should specifically speak to the International Office about this, as there is going to be a lot of scrutiny on Korean Universities in 2019.

ah ok.  i thought it was all just dependent on whether or not your university (or professor) would allow a student on a d2/4 visa to have a part time job and all they needed was permission.  yeah, do what sleepy says, speak to immigration to be sure.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 01:47:17 pm »
I not have plans to study on my E2 if it is illegal (ofv) I would obviously change my visa to D2 if I am legally required to do. Which seems to be the case.
I have Topik 3.
Both my work place and the university know I wish to continue working at my current workplace off campus. Please tell me why this would be a "no no" if I change to a D2 visa ??

Sorry OP, i missed this post, you made before ^ .

Well you have TOPIK L3, so that's one hurdle jumped! I think your case is not typical, where someone comes into the country on an E2 and then wishes to study.

I would guess it would mean doing a VISA run, by leaving the country, (possibly to the Korean Embassy in your home country?!) Or you could maybe do it at the Korean Embassy in Seoul?!?!?!

Best of luck. Let us know how it pans out!

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 01:57:11 pm »
Sorry to keep replying to my own information!

OP I apologize. I have given you misinformation in my previous post.

You need TOPIK level 3 to work off campus if you are studying at undergraduate level. Because you would be studying at 'Masters Level' you would need TOPIK level 4 to be able to legally work off campus.

I am 99.9% sure of this.

Your case is kind of 'atypical'.....

The logic behind this is the following:

Korean immigration made these rules, assuming international students come to Korea at undergraduate level, and their Korean ability 'progresses' throughout their time in Korea.....

Hence the progression from Level 3 to 4 (for Masters people)........

• amyb72
  • Veteran

• New Zealand
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 10:22:52 am »
I talked to immigration today and this is what I was told (may be useful for others)

Situation 1: Stay on E2 visa
You are allowed to study masters on your part-time job E2 visa as long as your workplace meet the minimum wage requirements for the visa which will change from 1.5m to 1.7m a month from next year.

Situation 2: Change E2 to D2 and apply for work permit
The work permit allows masters students to work up to 30 hours a week but you need TOPIK 4.
However, you can work a maximum of 15 hours a week without TOPIK 4. But anymore than 15 and you need TOPIK 4.

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 04:14:03 pm »
I talked to immigration today and this is what I was told (may be useful for others)

Situation 1: Stay on E2 visa
You are allowed to study masters on your part-time job E2 visa as long as your workplace meet the minimum wage requirements for the visa which will change from 1.5m to 1.7m a month from next year.

Situation 2: Change E2 to D2 and apply for work permit
The work permit allows masters students to work up to 30 hours a week but you need TOPIK 4.
However, you can work a maximum of 15 hours a week without TOPIK 4. But anymore than 15 and you need TOPIK 4.

I'm pleased you've got some more concrete information than I was able to give you!

Situation 1 would be tricky (basically juggling a FT hagwon job) + study (based on a typical hagwon pay scale)

• sleepy
  • Veteran

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 08:01:30 pm »

Just re-read this. So they told you, that as a Masters student, without TOPIK level 4, you could work ‘up to 15 hours’ without TOPIK L4?

Have you also spoken to your international office where you plan to study? Did immigration even mention this? You cannot just ‘work’ without informing your university (too) before you start working.