• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Being let go for being "too expensive"
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2018, 07:17:49 pm »
You can get a 2 year E2 Visa now?
Oh yeah. At least in Gyeongsangnamdo. I got it last May to forego paperwork hassles. Contract in hand with two year period in ink, and an alien registration card with a sticker for May 2020.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:19:20 pm by VanIslander »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2019, 03:22:42 pm »

They’ve been available for ages. You can get 2 year E1, E2 and E7 visas AFAIK (I have experience with E2 and E7)...all you need is a 2 year contract and a willing immigration officer. Most will grant you the 2 year visa/extension, a few might decide to be asses and only give you the one year version.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2019, 01:34:41 pm »
Oh yeah. At least in Gyeongsangnamdo. I got it last May to forego paperwork hassles. Contract in hand with two year period in ink, and an alien registration card with a sticker for May 2020.

I assume not many give a two year contract?  I wish public school did.  Ha ha. 

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 08:39:32 am »
I assume not many give a two year contract?  I wish public school did.  Ha ha.

An ex-boss of mine wanted me to sign a 2-year contract several years ago (it was not a public school job and I didn't/don't need visa sponsorship by an employer), but I declined since I didn't think it was wise/safe to do that, as I wasn't sure -- and couldn't know yet -- if I was going to like the job and it was too early for me to know if I would want to stay at that job for 2 years. It turned out to be a prudent move as the job ended up being pretty bad and I didn't end up staying there.

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2019, 01:24:28 pm »
On my last year in Korea I generated the highest salary I could get after they gave me
a raise. Plus the rural and multiple schools allowance. I did not get my contract renewed
after that, and I am sure that the new teacher that came in made less money than me.

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Korealand
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2019, 08:16:10 pm »
I don't think it's about your being 'too expensive'.   The salaries we receive are not very high.  In reality, I believe the majority of us are the working poor in this country.

I think it has more to do with the perceived value/expense ratio for the business.  The POE allocates a block sum of funds to a school for a NET.  The school then has to pay the salary, accommodation + benefits and 'expenses' from the allocated balance.  If the teacher has a lower salary, some of those funds can be diverted by the 'exaggeration' of expenses such as salary or 'housing'.

In some cases, a relative of the school provides the housing to the NET.  The relative gets the over-priced 'rent' fee and they look at the NET as a means of some extra money on the side. 

If there is no real financial benefit and the school politics are not friendly towards having an NET with the faculty, they may simply go without.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:27:16 am by KoreaBoo »

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2019, 10:09:17 am »
At least they told you why they weren't renewing you. Usually they cut a position because of "budget cuts, so sorry," then 6 months later you learn that they hired a 23 year old, 7 foot tall blonde Canadian girl to replace you.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2019, 09:01:12 am »
At least they told you why they weren't renewing you. Usually they cut a position because of "budget cuts, so sorry," then 6 months later you learn that they hired a 23 year old, 7 foot tall blonde Canadian girl to replace you.

Happened to me more than once and each time I got a great farewell party a big envelope full of money and a much better job.

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2019, 04:02:33 pm »
I am afraid this is par for the course in the ESL industry no matter the country. They use you, abuse you and toss you away when they have finished with you. It doesn't matter if you are the best teacher in the universe, when they have squeezed all your usefulness out of you, you are disposable. No such thing as being rewarded for loyalty.

I really hope you can get some satisfaction from the Labour Board. Try your MOE too, it is worth a shot.

THAT.

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 04:07:36 pm »
This is why I have no qualms about quitting a job here mid-contract if something better comes along and I can get away with it.  They don't give a flying 747 fook about you.  Most secretly or openly despise you. 

They hire women bc the men aren't intimidated by them and can get their lust on if they're good looking.  I'm 188cm and 100kg, 12%bf...  The men at my school despise me for no reason, while the women eye bang me and flirt when the men aren't around to witness it.  They don't want foreigners tainting the local women.  Haven't you heard that the majority of Korean men won't date a Korean women if she used to date a foreigner? I shower in the gym locker room and I've seen more baby pen*ses on the men here than I'd care to admit.  It makes a lot of the behavior I see from the local men against foreigners(or in general) make sense.   

THAT.

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2019, 04:19:34 pm »
I found this quite interesting, but, not at the OP's expense.  One way I find it interesting, is that if the OP did take this to the labor board, what good could possibly come from that?  As long as he/she is given the proper notice, the LB will probably just roll their eyes.  AND, even if the OP did manage to stir a fuss and enable the school to keep him/her, would it be a good working environment from that point on? 

I feel for you, OP.  It is an example of how Koreans operate.  And, it may be an example of the entire industry as a whole. 

Though...as long as they give your the glowing reference you deserve, you should be very marketable here, or elsewhere.  Though, I would NOT recommend letting 5 years of work go to waste by utilizing agencies or recruiters.  You can find something on your own and it may be beneficial to go by way of direct hire, as opposed to getting lost in the shuffle of crap-bag recruiters. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2019, 09:29:07 am »
I don't think it's about your being 'too expensive'.   The salaries we receive are not very high.  In reality, I believe the majority of us are the working poor in this country.

I think it has more to do with the perceived value/expense ratio for the business.  The POE allocates a block sum of funds to a school for a NET.  The school then has to pay the salary, accommodation + benefits and 'expenses' from the allocated balance.  If the teacher has a lower salary, some of those funds can be diverted by the 'exaggeration' of expenses such as salary or 'housing'.

In some cases, a relative of the school provides the housing to the NET.  The relative gets the over-priced 'rent' fee and they look at the NET as a means of some extra money on the side. 

If there is no real financial benefit and the school politics are not friendly towards having an NET with the faculty, they may simply go without.

Bolded.  It didn't use to be this way.  Some of us are still in the middle out in the provinces.  But Seoul (SMOE) pays less and doesn't give any bonuses.  So, the pay is pretty horrible there and you are definately poor by local standards.  But the stupid waygooks who keep coming here and accepting the BS offers are part of the problem.  If most foreigners would refuse to accept those offers and stayed home, wages would go up.  This happened out in the provinces 10 years ago as most foreigners bulked at coming here.  So, many provinces increased their salaries and pay scales to meet their demand.  It was actually pretty generous at the time and it still took me another 3 years or so after that to get to the top of their pay scale.  It was great during the recession and slow growth years when the market was flooded and many hakwons were trying to roll back wages and work conditions.  Got another artificial raise in late 2014 when the exchange rate dramatically improved (oil fell and Cdn dollar fell with it).  So, I was content for many years.  But, wages will have to rise here too.  I am doubting they will as there are too many idiots willing to come and work for peanuts nowadays.  Folks use to come here for the money in the 2000's decade.  Living was cheap, exchange rates were good, you could send a lot home quickly.  Then folks came for a few years after 2009 to escape the Recession back home.  From 2015 forward, why do they still come?  It's good for me still (for now), but I can't understand how dumb people are who accept a 2.1 million hakwon job (which actually works out to 2.0 million due to return flight no longer covered).  I do realize many hakwons are starting to finally put their wages up.  But there are still some assholes who try to pay the cheapest rate possible and dumb f@ks who accept it and take the job.  Not much we can do about it I guess except tell the newbies what suckers they are hoping they'll get wise one day.  No, long term, got to have a plan to go back home soon.