Read 2418 times

Are Koreans the biggest alcoholics in the world??
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:15:16 pm »
Monday through Saturday every restaurant/bar is full of people getting hammered on copious bottles of soju and beer.   I live near a subway station and between the walking strip are at least 40 restaurants.  The place is packed with people until the biggest alcoholics leave at 5am or so. I hear people screaming from my officitel on Mondays..  Wednesdays...every night nearly.  I can understand Friday or Saturday night.

When I leave the gym at like 10pm-12am.. people are stumbling around, spitting and smoking like animals every friggin night.   I'm no puritan but FFS isn't it excessive?  I can only imagine in the coming years when these people partying like they are in freshman year of college, that the NHS will be bankrupt paying for livers and other drinking and smoking-related diseases.   

Don't these people have families to eat with and kids to spend time with?  Why doesn't the gov't regulate this?  Maybe close bars after a certain time on weeknights? 

I'm on a small rant because I'm up late due to people screaming like it's new years eve 1999 outside my offictel.  Got to move away from this area and get near the wholesome family folks.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:17:38 pm by PatrickBateman »

Re: Are Koreans the biggest alcoholics in the world??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:32:52 pm »
Monday through Saturday every restaurant/bar is full of people getting hammered on copious bottles of soju and beer.   I live near a subway station and between the walking strip are at least 40 restaurants.  The place is packed with people until the biggest alcoholics leave at 5am or so. I hear people screaming from my officitel on Mondays..  Wednesdays...every night nearly.  I can understand Friday or Saturday night.

When I leave the gym at like 10pm-12am.. people are stumbling around, spitting and smoking like animals every friggin night.   I'm no puritan but FFS isn't it excessive?  I can only imagine in the coming years when these people partying like they are in freshman year of college, that the NHS will be bankrupt paying for livers and other drinking and smoking-related diseases.   

Don't these people have families to eat with and kids to spend time with?  Why doesn't the gov't regulate this?  Maybe close bars after a certain time on weeknights? 

I'm on a small rant because I'm up late due to people screaming like it's new years eve 1999 outside my offictel.  Got to move away from this area and get near the wholesome family folks.

It'd certainly be interesting to see them introduce minimum pricing for alcohol units like they have in Scotland. A bottle of soju would increase to around 8,000 won a bottle and everyone would stop drinking it over night. So I guess it'll never happen

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:38:44 am »

You're assuming that someone out drinking late on a Wednesday does it every night. One of the fun things about Asia is the rowdy nightlife, and if violent/drunken crime isn't out of hand why should the government regulate it? You put a lot of trust in governments?

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:08:49 am »
You live in korea, there are people that work Thursday through Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday are their weekend.

I like Korea because you can go out any night and find something to do. In Canada everything is mostly set up for Friday and Saturday which is not great for people who work weekends.

Drinking doesn't make you an alcoholic. Drinking excessively and not being able to function with out alcohol is a problem.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:14:57 am by KimDuHan »

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:58:19 am »
I've travelled to a good number of countries in Asia. And I can assure you based on
what I've seen and the proven statistics, that South Korea has the highest population
of drunkards in East Asia. The drunkenness I've seen in Korea was so common, that
it seems more common than what I've seen on the First Nations reservations.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:00:15 pm by Foreverparadise »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 05:45:14 am »
I think if you Google it, then they are not (officially) but I think that for public drunkenness they are right up there with the best.

Someone commented that just because he sees this on a Wednesday night it may not be for the rest of the week, I quote:

You're assuming that someone out drinking late on a Wednesday does it every night. One of the fun things about Asia is the rowdy nightlife, and if violent/drunken crime isn't out of hand why should the government regulate it? You put a lot of trust in governments?

Well, I lived in the middle of the Gangnam restaurant scene for more than six years and I can assure you that everything the OP says is true EVERY night of the week and was confirmed by my lady co-teachers whose husbands were part of the scene. Often they would come to school in tears, saying they hadn't seen their husbands till 4 am when they came home hammered out of their minds. This happened more often than not.

Add to that businessmen lying in a drunken stupor all over the streets and in the subway when I used to go to school in the morning, then it almost completes the picture.

If I had friends coming to visit me in the morning, say on a Saturday, I used to have to apologize to them for having to step over the puke and condoms outside my apartment. I was so embarrassed .  This in the elite, Gangnam.

I used to cycle every morning at 5 am and the number of people sitting outside convenience stores drinking soju or beer at that time of the morning, blew my mind.

I have lived in 6 countries, including Korea, Philippines, China and Taiwan and I have never seen anything like what happens in Korea in the other countries.

So to anyone who denies what the OP says is talking horse manure. Just go to YouTube and have a look for yourself.  I am NOT saying they are the biggest alcoholics in the world, but together with public drunkenness they are pretty close to number one.

I guess I am going to get a lot of negative comments now, but I don't give a flying fig, I tell it as I saw it.

Pretty sure Mr DM will be along shortly to defend the excessive drinking culture and the public drunkenness in Korea, pretty soon.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 06:38:40 am »
I think if you Google it, then they are not (officially) but I think that for public drunkenness they are right up there with the best.

Someone commented that just because he sees this on a Wednesday night it may not be for the rest of the week, I quote:

Well, I lived in the middle of the Gangnam restaurant scene for more than six years and I can assure you that everything the OP says is true EVERY night of the week and was confirmed by my lady co-teachers whose husbands were part of the scene. Often they would come to school in tears, saying they hadn't seen their husbands till 4 am when they came home hammered out of their minds. This happened more often than not.

Add to that businessmen lying in a drunken stupor all over the streets and in the subway when I used to go to school in the morning, then it almost completes the picture.

If I had friends coming to visit me in the morning, say on a Saturday, I used to have to apologize to them for having to step over the puke and condoms outside my apartment. I was so embarrassed .  This in the elite, Gangnam.

I used to cycle every morning at 5 am and the number of people sitting outside convenience stores drinking soju or beer at that time of the morning, blew my mind.

I have lived in 6 countries, including Korea, Philippines, China and Taiwan and I have never seen anything like what happens in Korea in the other countries.

So to anyone who denies what the OP says is talking horse manure. Just go to YouTube and have a look for yourself.  I am NOT saying they are the biggest alcoholics in the world, but together with public drunkenness they are pretty close to number one.

I guess I am going to get a lot of negative comments now, but I don't give a flying fig, I tell it as I saw it.

Pretty sure Mr DM will be along shortly to defend the excessive drinking culture and the public drunkenness in Korea, pretty soon.

Have you been to Scotland?

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 08:58:59 am »

Uhh, dude, you do realize that people on this forum regularly go to Gangnam and live there, right?

EVERY night of the week? There are nights Gangnam is busy and nights it is pretty dead. Maybe you're from some podunk town where a slow Sunday night in Gangnam looks like EVERY person in Seoul is out getting hammered. Yeah, our offices are constantly full of women in tears crying about drunk husbands. Certainly not women themselves who were out getting hammered as well...

Dude, you make it sound like there's a battlefield's worth of sprawled drunks and condoms lying everywhere.

Koreans drink A LOT and there are big alcoholism issues here, but dude, condoms and businessmen everywhere? Gangnam an insane bacchanal EVERY night? Get a grip dude. I know this country did a number on you, but geez, let it go.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 09:31:36 am »

Uhh, dude, you do realize that people on this forum regularly go to Gangnam and live there, right?

EVERY night of the week? There are nights Gangnam is busy and nights it is pretty dead. Maybe you're from some podunk town where a slow Sunday night in Gangnam looks like EVERY person in Seoul is out getting hammered. Yeah, our offices are constantly full of women in tears crying about drunk husbands. Certainly not women themselves who were out getting hammered as well...

Dude, you make it sound like there's a battlefield's worth of sprawled drunks and condoms lying everywhere.

Koreans drink A LOT and there are big alcoholism issues here, but dude, condoms and businessmen everywhere? Gangnam an insane bacchanal EVERY night? Get a grip dude. I know this country did a number on you, but geez, let it go.

Say dude one more time lol.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 09:34:21 am »

Agreed. Gangnam is one of THE areas for night life.

:huh: OMG there are 80 000 people here every night who are drunk!!!

Well, yeah.................. Seoul is 10 million people............. not to mention the burbs with commuters. 0.8 percent of the population there on an evening drinking is not some kind of disaster. You don't have to like it but it's not weird.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 09:41:09 am »

There you go, I was right.

Mr DM, do you live where I lived? If not then who are you to call me out on this?

Agh, wasting my time, no good trying to reason with you. In your eyes Korea is just perfect and can do no wrong. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, just as I am. I know what I saw EVERY DAY for 6 years, so unless you walked in my shoes, you have no right to tell me to get a grip and give it up.

http://www.danielmcbane.com/south-korea/passed-out-koreans-in-seoul-streets/

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/world/asia/tired-of-being-abused-by-drunks-south-korean-police-start-to-push-back.html

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qbepew/soju-is-responsible-for-the-south-koreans-passed-out-in-the-streets

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 09:53:24 am »
Mr Dm missed my point. I never said Koreans are the biggest alcoholics, that honour belongs to some other former Soviet Republic I believe, my point is that in the 6 countries I have lived in I never saw PUBLIC drunkenness like I saw in Korea.

Probably many countries drink as much or even more than Koreans but public drunkenness is an uncommon sight. I lived in a city the size of Seoul in China and in my two and a bit years there, I never saw one drunk person in the street. Do Chinese drink any less than Koreans? Probably not, similar culture, but I never saw one drunk person in public.

Can't say the same for Seoul.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 10:05:26 am »
Alcohol is intertwined with Korean culture. And tbh I think they handle it pretty well. In 5 years I've been here, I've never been challenged to a fight or really had any aggression whatsoever directed my way by a drunk. I don't mind people being drunk and jolly in public. Don't even really mind spewing, but try and do it off the public sidewalk.

People get way more aggressive when they are on the piss in my country.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 10:12:32 am »
Mr Dm missed my point. I never said Koreans are the biggest alcoholics
Where did I say you said that?

I just thought your portrayal of Gangnam as being strewn with drunks passed out everywhere and condoms lying around like shrapnel was rather over-the-top.

We all visit Gangnam and we all work with Korean coworkers. None of us are dealing with a constant stream of crying female coworkers, dodging condoms left and right, and navigating a minefield of drunks. Nor do we see Gangnam as some sort of drunken orgy every night. Like seriously, you're talking about Gangnam as though it's some sort of place that's unfamiliar to everyone.

Sees a condom lying on the ground- "There's condoms lying on the street all over Gangnam!!!!!!" People are just dropping them out of their pockets and banging in every alley apparently.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:17:08 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 10:24:23 am »
This in the elite, Gangnam.
Living in some one room next to an Olive Young and a Pocha in Gangnam is not "the elite", nor is there some magic barrier that keeps everyone out of Gangnam except the elite.

If it's for the elite, how the heck did you end up there?

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 11:02:29 am »
For a Korean apologist, you sure don't practice their values much (except belligerence, you've got that down).

You realize you're addressing a licensed teacher, in his 60s, who has more travel/life experience in his little pinky than you have in your entire miserable constitution, right? 

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 11:24:21 am »
someone drop a mic

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 11:34:33 am »
For a Korean apologist, you sure don't practice their values much (except belligerence, you've got that down).

You realize you're addressing a licensed teacher, in his 60s, who has more travel/life experience in his little pinky than you have in your entire miserable constitution, right?

What does that have to do with him being full of shit when he says the streets of Gangnam are strewn with condoms and EVERY night it's a crazy drunk fest?

Guess his life experience didn't count for anything.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 11:47:59 am »
All this talk about Gangnam.  I live nowhere near there.  I'm in Gyeonggi, Anyang to be exact.   No tourist around or any cool bars or unique restaurants.  Just Mr. Lee and Mr. Hong pounding back 8 bottles of Cass and 5 bottles of Soju with a plate of pigs feet on Tuesday night.  Pillars of health I tell ya. 

I hear a lot of people say it's the culture.  Being stumbling drunk and chain-smoking cigs in-between spitting thick wads of phlegm onto the sidewalk in a far cry from being culture, or is it?  I think it comes down to the fact that Koreans don't normally open up or talk about issues when sober.  Plus being drunk gives plausible deniability to any of their behavior or speech.  So I guess the pent-up stress needs to be unleashed no matter what day of the week. 

I truly think there needs to be reform and more taxes on a 2$ of hard liquor.  Use those taxes to pad the NHS budget for the upcoming influx of drinking related illnesses that are on the way.  How about no sales after 2am?  I'm not even a big gov't guy but it's easy to see there is a problem in this country.  Between drunk driving deaths, health issues, family issues, and the low productivity at work from 8am - 1pm while Mr. Lee and Hong nurse their hangover by sleeping,  it's not helping the country overall.

As for the condom thing..  I've never seen those lying around.  I thought Koreans never used them unless forced by the woman.  Maybe I heard that through gossip with foreign woman,  so not saying that is true
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:49:30 am by PatrickBateman »

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 12:25:27 pm »
What does that have to do with him being full of shit ...
The same thing it has with the average 아저씨 being full of shit. I've genuinely lost count of the number of legitimate grievances you've refused to acknowledge on the basis of blind conformism.

So show some reverence (where due), or accept your title as the forum's biggest hypocrite. Maybe you'll even make the 2018 awards thread