Read 3146 times

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
Re: Blowing your nose
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 01:49:43 pm »
One thing that is great about not being in Korea is that other East Asian and South-East Asian countries don't get all bent out of shape if you do something that is 'offensive' to their culture. At worst they will point it out to you in a nice way or just let it slide.

Koreans are way too uptight.
That's because most places in Asia highly depend on tourism. And the Japanese are too nice to say anything about it, but they sure think it, and might tell you like 15 years later. Anyways, if those countries ever reach the level of Korean/Japanese level of economic development, they'll just be just as 'bent out of shape'.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 01:59:34 pm »
One thing that is great about not being in Korea is that other East Asian and South-East Asian countries don't get all bent out of shape if you do something that is 'offensive' to their culture. At worst they will point it out to you in a nice way or just let it slide.

That's because most places in Asia highly depend on tourism. And the Japanese are too nice to say anything about it, but they sure think it, and might tell you like 15 years later. Anyways, if those countries ever reach the level of Korean/Japanese level of economic development, they'll just be just as 'bent out of shape'.
[/b]

China is just as developed as those and they don't get all bent out of shape, neither do the Taiwanese.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 02:33:32 pm »
China is just as developed as those and they don't get all bent out of shape, neither do the Taiwanese.
This the same China that is rounding up Uyghurs, heavily censors speech on the internet, locks up dissidents, and is forcing Hollywood to tread carefully when mentioning it?

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 02:48:05 pm »
This the same China that is rounding up Uyghurs, heavily censors speech on the internet, locks up dissidents, and is forcing Hollywood to tread carefully when mentioning it?

Matt Damon saved them and that's the thanks they give.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 04:04:58 pm »

No, I am talking about Chinese people who are sadly unaware for the most of what their satanic government is doing.  Sadly the average Chinese citizen is blissfully naive, but for sure they are tolerant of foreigners that may not be doing exactly the correct thing.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 05:15:54 pm »

China isn't as developed as South Korea, or Japan. Ever been outside China's tier 1 cities? Every single respected institute that measures economic development will put China in the developing category.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 07:08:36 pm »

China isn't as developed as South Korea, or Japan. Ever been outside China's tier 1 cities? Every single respected institute that measures economic development will put China in the developing category.
[/b]

Well having lived outside a tier 1 city for more than 2 years and having travelled around China I would say that China is more developed. The only thing, besides the government (censorship, paranoia etc, etc), that got to me there was pollution which ranged from acceptable to horrific, depending on the season.

Transport system (train and bus) 2nd to none, service outstanding - fixed my washing machine at 11 pm at night the same evening it broke, online shopping - second to none, Alipay - the finest cashless system in the world. Awesome food, incredible malls etc etc. So in my humble opinion, China has already passed Korea in development.

It is easy to look at a small country with a small population like Korea and rate it above China, but having lived in both countries, Korea has a lot to learn from China,

I still don't believe that even if China surpasses Korea officially in development, that all of the sudden Chinese people will miraculously change into people that get bent out of shape when a foreigner inadvertently does something wrong.

In the last 10 years I have lived in 4 countries and I am going to rate them for friendliness and acceptance towards me.

1. Taiwan (been blown away by their kindness)
2. China - ditto for Taiwan.
3. Philippines - 90% are amazing, 10% are oxygen thieves.
4. Korea - have some amazing Korean friends on a par with Taiwan and China BUT there is a significant portion of the 
    population that would be over the moon if all foreigners left.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 08:01:03 pm »
To confusedsaffer,  you do realize that development is mostly based on income levels? In theory, with rising income, improved infrastructure goes along with it...

Anyways, sure it's great China has built infrastructure that can rival developed countries, but over half the population can barely afford to use the infrastructure.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 08:39:14 pm »
Anyways, sure it's great China has built infrastructure that can rival developed countries, but over half the population can barely afford to use the infrastructure.

Proof please. Links and facts.

In the city I lived in and surrounding villages, bus tickets were dirt cheap.  160 won to travel anywhere in the city on the bus.  My city to the nearest airport - 1.5 hours on a subway train - 980 won. Not so fancy buses, but get you there safely in the rural areas - two hour ride - 816 Won

I think that most if not all Chinese can afford that.

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 07:19:12 am »

Well having lived outside a tier 1 city for more than 2 years and having travelled around China I would say that China is more developed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where-to-be-born_Index
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_health_insurance_coverage

I'm pretty sure South Korea would be ahead of China in almost any quantitative measure of development. There's a few where China might be ahead, but not many (and none that I'm sure of off the top of my head). It's okay to have had a bad time in Korea... it's not for everyone. But, to say China is more developed than Korea either shows how ignorant you are of the places you've been or how strong your biases are (or both).

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 07:45:59 am »

Well having lived outside a tier 1 city for more than 2 years and having travelled around China I would say that China is more developed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where-to-be-born_Index
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_health_insurance_coverage

I'm pretty sure South Korea would be ahead of China in almost any quantitative measure of development. There's a few where China might be ahead, but not many (and none that I'm sure of off the top of my head). It's okay to have had a bad time in Korea... it's not for everyone. But, to say China is more developed than Korea either shows how ignorant you are of the places you've been or how strong your biases are (or both).

All these links don't prove that more than half the people cannot afford the infrastructure in China, that was my point.

As I said too it is easy to sit outside China and look at stats and say it is less developed but unless you have lived and travelled in both places you are not in a position to judge if it is true or not.  The cities in China are as developed as Korea, in the rural areas I have seen as much poverty in Korea as in China. So they are overall much on a par. The big difference is that China has this massive population which it has to get up to speed as a developed country whereas Korea's population is tiny in comparison and as such it is easier to raise the standard of living.

I don't really care what the stats say, having lived in both places I am convinced they are pretty much on a par.

The point of the original topic was discussing the do's and don'ts and Korea and I just pointed out that the Chinese are more tolerant than Koreans when it comes to this and then I was told if China was developed as Korea that would disappear magically. I challenge that statement, the cities where I lived in and visited were on a par with Korea and the people didn't get all bent out of shape when things weren't done quite they way they expected.

So, this thread got derailed and I am as much to blame as the next person for that, so let's get back to the original reason for the thread.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 08:00:23 am »
So, this thread got derailed and I am as much to blame as the next person for that, so let's get back to the original reason for the thread.

Amirite?

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 08:07:30 am »

I don't really care what the stats say, having lived in both places I am convinced they are pretty much on a par.

uhhhhhh ok... username checks out.

anyway... i agree with whoever said countries that are more developed are more prone to having citizens that get "bent out of shape" about things. and, for what it's worth, no one has ever given me shit here for sneezing or blowing my nose.

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 08:18:22 am »
As I said too it is easy to sit outside China and look at stats and say it is less developed but unless you have lived and travelled in both places you are not in a position to judge if it is true or not.

anecdotal evidence trumps facts?

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 08:56:23 am »
Also, what's with the loud sneezing attacks i have heard at restaurants? Usually old guys - who else .... man it was at least 10 sneezes in a row at full volume. Well it only happened twice but it was very noticeable.

This is a bit like asking 'what's with people who get coughing fits? (usually old people  :rolleyes:) or 'why do people keep hiccoughing?' why can't they just stop?'. 'Are they just doing it to annoy other people?'

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 09:00:43 am »
Also, what's with the loud sneezing attacks i have heard at restaurants? Usually old guys - who else .... man it was at least 10 sneezes in a row at full volume. Well it only happened twice but it was very noticeable.

This is a bit like asking 'what's with people who get coughing fits? (usually old people  :rolleyes:) or 'why do people keep hiccoughing?' why can't they just stop?'. 'Are they just doing it to annoy other people?'

my dad does this every time we go to a restaurant (also at home). it's pretty funny. around 5-6 i start trying to guess when he'll stop. yeah, idk man shit happens.

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 09:05:42 am »
Well, unless you're Japanese. I mean Korea, loses its head over Japan, but I don't recall any Izakayas getting smashed. Korean people care too much about getting buzzed to do that.
In Shanghai mobs smashed Japanese restaurants, damaged Japanese-made cars and threw eggs, stones and paint at the country's consulate. At least two Japanese people were attacked.

https://www.theguardian.com/guardianweekly/story/0,,1464954,00.html

Or their basketball teams regularly brawling during international friendlies.

Or dudes who get embarrassed in streetball.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrhRopvkCDg

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 09:11:17 am »
I grew up in the U.S., but there's worlds of difference between NYC and Cali. NoLa and Montana. A reservation and the Deep South. Aspen and West Virginia.

I mean within my home state you can go from an uber-liberal and tolerant college town to the ghetto to hoity-toity suburbs to rural farmers to rust belt working-class subdivisions in 30 minutes and the attitudes and behaviors will change significantly.

Whatever you may have seen may be drastically different in other parts. China is a big place and it's not a monoculture like Korea.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2018, 09:21:40 am »

Proof please. Links and facts.

In the city I lived in and surrounding villages, bus tickets were dirt cheap.  160 won to travel anywhere in the city on the bus.  My city to the nearest airport - 1.5 hours on a subway train - 980 won. Not so fancy buses, but get you there safely in the rural areas - two hour ride - 816 Won

I think that most if not all Chinese can afford that.

I wasn't talking local buses. I'm talking how many can afford taking the high-speed trains, or fly.

If I remember correctly the Shanghai Maglev to the airport cost like 50CNY ($6-7 USD). Almost a days wages for a huge chunk of the population for a 10 minute ride on the Airport Maglev. Seems like a luxury for most Chinese.

https://borgenproject.org/top-10-facts-about-poverty-in-china/

"Around 500 million people, or 40 percent of the population within China, survive on $5.50 per day or less."
Granted it's 2015 numbers... but I'd imagine that today's numbers are still similar within that $5-7 dollar range.

China has done a good job at virtually eliminating starvation, and should be commended for it. But there is no denying that China is still a very poor country where most people have to spend a majority of their money on the basics of life.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:23:52 am by pkjh »

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 12:19:05 am »
It is true. Blowing your nose around Koreans in public is considered disgusting and rude.

But guess what? I have seen a number of Korean men clearing out mucus from their
throats and spitting it out in public. I saw one of them spit it out on the floor in a bus.
Nasty!