Read 2603 times

Re: Blowing your nose
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 01:20:14 am »
So what are you supposed to do?  Let the snot drip out of your nose and hope no one notices?

I have always wondered if this wasn't somehow misunderstood.

What is considered acceptable then?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:37:30 am by some waygug-in »

• Chester Jim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2015, 02:17:12 pm
    • Arkansas
    more
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 03:03:45 am »
If there is a movement to be disgusted by korean behavior then everyone should get involved. ,
Bonzai!

• hangook77
  • Expert Waygook

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 06:02:54 am »
Make sure to blow your nose, fart, belch, and sneeze at the same time....

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 02:55:34 pm »

...to the tune of "Bohemian Rhapsody" then you can go on Korean TV.

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 06:45:49 pm »
Guess it's just me, but I think it's rude to blow your nose in front of someone and I'm American.  Could just be my own pet peeve, but I always thought it was something you should do in the bathroom.  I've only ever blown my nose like three times in my adult life lol.  I still have no idea why people do it....

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 09:24:06 pm »
So you're in a Korean restaurant, eating spicy food and suddenly you have to sneeze and your

phlegm starts to rapidly fill your nasal passages.   If you discretely wipe your nose,

you may prevent embarrassment for a few seconds, but you will continually have to do so until

such time as you can blow your nose completely.    Running off to the lou is not an option as your

nose is overflowing with mucus, and you are in the midst of a sneezing fit.

Besides which, you don't have the foggiest notion where the lou is in this

place.  You don't have time to ask anyone either because the phlegm/snot is already running down.

So this has never happened to you?  Seriously?

Something about winter and the lack of sunshine, I seem to get these kinds of situations often.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:32:44 pm by some waygug-in »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 09:41:05 pm »
I think that once upon a time, a foreigner was told that blowing one's nose in the presence of others was considered rude.

This was repeated on the internet by a YouTube expert on life in Korea and thus became legendary.

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2019, 06:54:31 am »
So you're in a Korean restaurant, eating spicy food and suddenly you have to sneeze and your

phlegm starts to rapidly fill your nasal passages.   If you discretely wipe your nose,

you may prevent embarrassment for a few seconds, but you will continually have to do so until

such time as you can blow your nose completely.    Running off to the lou is not an option as your

place.  You don't have time to ask anyone either because the phlegm/snot is already running down.

Something about winter and the lack of sunshine, I seem to get these kinds of situations often.

This post made me think a good verse about this is out there or maybe a series of haikus.

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2019, 07:24:20 am »
Guess it's just me, but I think it's rude to blow your nose in front of someone and I'm American.  Could just be my own pet peeve, but I always thought it was something you should do in the bathroom.  I've only ever blown my nose like three times in my adult life lol.  I still have no idea why people do it....

They just do it to annoy people lol. It has nothing to do with the fact that their entire sinuses are filled with gunk that's constantly about to run down their face, or stop them from breathing properly :rolleyes:

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2019, 10:03:25 am »
Leaving the room to blow snot or pass gas is a considerate thing to do.

So is chewing quietly with your mouth closed.

Each culture has something it can learn from the others.

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2019, 10:20:00 am »

I hope that never happens to me, lol.  I imagine in a situation like that it's an emergency, kind of like diarrhea or throwing up.  It's unavoidable and blowing your nose there is kind of salvaging some other very worse disgusting outcome.

It's the normal, "oh I have something in my nose that makes me uncomfortable so i'm just going to honk real loud here and make sure I look at it so every can see me looking at it" behavior that I find repulsive.  Just go to the bathroom....  It's probably just me though, I've learned to suck up my disgust just like I have with the spitting and chewing like a cow.

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 10:23:57 am »

re blowing snot, what 'room' are you talking about exactly? The classroom? If you teach kids that's probably not a good idea. A room in your own house? probably not necessary. A room in a friend's house, that would be weird, wouldn't it?. A room at work? Most people work in open plan offices these days, should you leave your cubicle and walk out into the corridor? I'm trying to think what other room you could be talking about.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2019, 10:42:47 am »
blowing your nose is on par to coughing and sneezing, to me. sure, it might bother some people if you keep doing it, but it's not like anyone wants to cough/sneeze/blow their nose constantly. it's more rude to constantly sniff than to blow your nose once, in my opinion

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2019, 10:46:06 am »
blowing your nose is on par to coughing and sneezing, to me. sure, it might bother some people if you keep doing it, but it's not like anyone wants to cough/sneeze/blow their nose constantly. it's more rude to constantly sniff than to blow your nose once, in my opinion

Agreed

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 11:23:37 am »

Agreed
Like with most of these things, it really comes down to time, place, and manner.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 11:30:30 am »

re blowing snot, what 'room' are you talking about exactly? The classroom? If you teach kids that's probably not a good idea.
Why not? It's a captivating teachable moment.

Grab a tissue from your classroom box and whisper LOUDLY "Excuse me. I have to blow my nose." Then walk out and do it. Then return and ask the class What did I do? Then put on the board: 'I blew my nose.'

I have done that 7 or 8 times over the last 16 years of teaching here. I also tell them that in America; Canada and many European countries, blowing your nose in a room is okay but opening your umbrella inside a building is not. It's a great 5-minute minilesson break that gets everyone's attention.

Be a teacher for every second of class time.

For example, if your students don't know the phrases "You are on time", "You are early", "You are late" and "You are in time" then you have teachable moments to incorporate.

I tell them I have seen Koreans pick up pieces of food from the floor and put them on a table. It's because Korean culture values floor cleanliness. I also tell them back in my country more often people wipe little pieces of food onto the floor. The culture back home values a clean table over a clean floor. I've seen the same difference with eraser bits.

Teachable moments...

A room in a friend's house, that would be weird, wouldn't it?
Why? It's EXACTLY what Koreans do: leave the room. I've lived here since 2002 and have never seen a hearty nose blow in room by a local but tons by fellow foreigners.

A room at work? Most people work in open plan offices these days, should you leave your cubicle and walk out into the corridor?
Gasp! What a thought! ... Tell you what: Do what your Korean coworkers do. Or: do as your native culture dictates and accept the cultural responses.

Just don't be one of those foreigners who whine about reactions to nose blowing but complains about eating noises. That would be the height of self-centered cultural myopia.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:58:55 am by VanIslander »

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 04:06:15 pm »
Why not? It's a captivating teachable moment.

When I used to teach kids it wasn't allowed but , sure if it's OK with the school.

A room in a friend's house, that would be weird, wouldn't it?
Why? It's EXACTLY what Koreans do: leave the room. I've lived here since 2002 and have never seen a hearty nose blow in room by a local but tons by fellow foreigners.

A room at work? Most people work in open plan offices these days, should you leave your cubicle and walk out into the corridor?
Gasp! What a thought! ... Tell you what: Do what your Korean coworkers do. Or: do as your native culture dictates and accept the cultural responses.

Just don't be one of those foreigners who whine about reactions to nose blowing but complains about eating noises. That would be the height of self-centered cultural myopia.

Sure, when in Rome..... I thought you were talking in general. I've never worked in a Korean office environment so never felt the need to change my habits.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:12 am »

...to the tune of "Bohemian Rhapsody" then you can go on Korean TV.

To be fair, I'd like to see that.

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2019, 04:34:35 pm »

They just do it to annoy people lol. It has nothing to do with the fact that their entire sinuses are filled with gunk that's constantly about to run down their face, or stop them from breathing properly :rolleyes:

Hmm...if my nose is runny I wipe it with a tissue.  Blowing my nose with a runny nose doesn't do anything but make it run five minutes later anyway.  You are talking to someone who has had their sinus gunked up their entire life and has never been able to fully breathe through their nose.  If I blow my nose, it's like scratching an irritated spot.  It buys you seconds of relief.  Certainly not worth the hassle and noise pollution in my opinion. 

There is a world full of people with all different make up, mannerisms, and sinus conditions.  I've never had to blow my nose as an emergency whereas coughing and sneezing is unavoidable.  If it's runny, I just keep tissues nearby and wipe it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:48:13 am by kyndo »