Read 1412 times

• carter1l
  • Adventurer

• June 08, 2018, 01:00:24 pm
    • Geoje
What's your favourite non ppt game?
« on: December 14, 2018, 02:29:31 pm »
I try to use as few ppt games in my lessons as I can as i usually find more engagement and excitement from my students. I was hoping some of you could share some of your best non ppt games you use and found success with.

Mine are in this thread: http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=114394.0

Re: What's your favourite non ppt game?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 02:35:17 pm »
im a big fan of the classics like hot seat and running dictation.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 02:49:35 pm »
My students' favorite is one of the many variations of the "kimchi game".  In a sequence, students read a sentence one word at a time.  After a student reads the last word in a sentence, the next student says "kimchi" (or whatever magic word you choose) and the following two students play rps.  The loser sits down and the game keeps going.  Usually I play until only 2 or 3 students are left standing.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:41:17 pm »
Oh i love all those games that have already been mentioned. A big hit w/ students for sure.
This game requires mini whiteboards OR you can have students come up to the front and draw on the main whiteboard/chalkboard but one of my favorite but crazy games is Pictionary.

It is not using the pictionary cards though. You make the card yourself and basically students have to answer in the correct Key Expression that they already learned.

Ie.
Key expression: He has __(use a pp verb)__.
Card: a girl eating a bear
The drawer will illustrate a girl eating a bear and their team must answer “she had eaten a bear” to get a point.

It’s a wild game but as long as you don’t mind things getting a little out of hand and you reinforce to the students that you must raise your hand, talking in korean = no point for that round, and yelling out an answer doesn’t count as a point—it’s pretty fun.

Another game students like is Bingo. Again, I have them use a key expression when they choose their square and i call on random students.

• CaitV
  • Waygookin

• July 02, 2014, 02:58:38 pm
    • Gyeonngi-do
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 10:03:20 am »
My students are OBSESSED with Mafia. Like any spare chance we have they ask to play mafia. They are middle school students so I'm not sure how well it would work with elementary kids, but I hand out cards with jobs on them ie chef, teacher, doctor, mafioso. I usually let them discuss among themselves and then they have to say in English "I think ____ is in the mafia." and that person stands up and says what their job is and shows their card. And to make sure the eliminated students still have an opportunity to speak and play, I let the ghosts give hints about who is in the mafia every other turn, like "Someone with long hair is in the mafia." "Someone wearing glasses is in the mafia"

Another game that's been a winner and is good for practicing the key phrase dialogue is the zombie virus game. They RPS to decide who is A and who is B for the dialogue, and then say the dialogue while shaking hands. One student is secretly a zombie, so they discreetly scratch and "infect" other students while shaking hands. If students get scratched, they are now zombies. The goal is to shake hands with 5 students and not become a zombie.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:20:44 am »
I've played Mafia with grade 4 elementary and they really liked it too. You just have to watch out for cheating! Hot seat and Pictionary usually work well.

• carter1l
  • Adventurer

• June 08, 2018, 01:00:24 pm
    • Geoje
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 01:05:25 pm »
My students are OBSESSED with Mafia. Like any spare chance we have they ask to play mafia. They are middle school students so I'm not sure how well it would work with elementary kids, but I hand out cards with jobs on them ie chef, teacher, doctor, mafioso. I usually let them discuss among themselves and then they have to say in English "I think ____ is in the mafia." and that person stands up and says what their job is and shows their card. And to make sure the eliminated students still have an opportunity to speak and play, I let the ghosts give hints about who is in the mafia every other turn, like "Someone with long hair is in the mafia." "Someone wearing glasses is in the mafia"

Another game that's been a winner and is good for practicing the key phrase dialogue is the zombie virus game. They RPS to decide who is A and who is B for the dialogue, and then say the dialogue while shaking hands. One student is secretly a zombie, so they discreetly scratch and "infect" other students while shaking hands. If students get scratched, they are now zombies. The goal is to shake hands with 5 students and not become a zombie.

I've wanted to play mafia, but my homeroom teachers aren't too keen on games with heavy Korean involved! The zombie game is easily my go to game I have currently as I mentioned in the thread attached above! Wish I could play mafia :(

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 01:22:22 pm »
http://iteslj.org/t/tmm/i/057.gif

Not really a game. It's an activity in which each students adds to the previous statement . They love using this worksheet the sentences start to get really strange.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 01:38:17 pm »
I tried playing Mafia a couple of times. Always ended up in fights, so now we can't play it.  :undecided:

Things like board-racing and telephone are pretty popular. I usually combine the two. Makes for a great ice-breaker, too.

BINGO is a never-fail filler game.

Jenga, Battleship, Ninja RPS, Taboo, Hot Seat, Pictionary, Scattergories, card games like Bluff and Go Fish, Snowball Fight, etc.

I do a lot of puzzles, and if I can incorporate a memory aspect into a game, I will. My students always seem to focus more when there are memory elements.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 02:07:30 pm »
1.  Split students in a groups and have each student write a word from a phrase; the one fastest to complete the phrase correctly wins.  e.g., How's it going, Davey?  Group of 4---first student writes How's, second student writes it, third writes going, and last student writes Davey.  Needs close supervision as they get competitive and try to let the strongest student write everything.

2.  This requires time---scatter various words all over the school and the team to gather the most words wins.  Great time filler for camp.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 10:19:12 am »
I tried playing Mafia a couple of times. Always ended up in fights, so now we can't play it.  :undecided:

Things like board-racing and telephone are pretty popular. I usually combine the two. Makes for a great ice-breaker, too.

BINGO is a never-fail filler game.

Jenga, Battleship, Ninja RPS, Taboo, Hot Seat, Pictionary, Scattergories, card games like Bluff and Go Fish, Snowball Fight, etc.

I do a lot of puzzles, and if I can incorporate a memory aspect into a game, I will. My students always seem to focus more when there are memory elements.

I remember doing "Snowball Fight" my very first class in Korea as an icebreaker. MAN...I never did it again. My kids went friggin' nuts and my timid co teacher had an absolute breakdown haha she made me promise never to do it again :laugh: I'll have to try it again one time and see how it goes down.

All of these though are my top games pretty much. Besides Battleship which I've never tried with them.