Read 390 times

• lesahlie
  • Newgookin

• September 10, 2018, 11:58:29 am
    • South Korea
Grammar question
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:24:27 pm »
Why can we use something like 'I have to stay home all day because of heavy snow' but we can't say 'I have to stay home all day because of a lot of snow'.

In the first sentence 'heavy' is an adjective, right? And in the second sentence 'a lot of' is also an adjective. So, why can we use one but not the other?

I have to explain this in relation to why the first sentence is right on an exam paper but the second isn't. Please help!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Grammar question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 01:13:31 pm »
Why can we use something like 'I have to stay home all day because of heavy snow' but we can't say 'I have to stay home all day because of a lot of snow'.

In the first sentence 'heavy' is an adjective, right? And in the second sentence 'a lot of' is also an adjective. So, why can we use one but not the other?

I have to explain this in relation to why the first sentence is right on an exam paper but the second isn't. Please help!

Insofar as I know, they're both grammatically correct, but only the first is colloquial.
Sometimes we use phrases only because other people use them, and not use phrases because others don't.  :undecided:

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 02:16:30 pm »
I know it feels more natural to say "Because there is a lot of snow" rather than "because of a lot of snow," but if there's a grammatical reason the second sentence is incorrect, I sure can't find a suitable explanation anywhere.

It could still be marked wrong on an exam for some reasons even if it's grammatically correct, I suppose, depending on what the purpose of the exam question was. While "heavy" and "a lot of" are both adjectives, they're different kinds of adjectives (quality and quantity, respectively). The former is saying what kind of snow it is, the latter is saying how much snow there is. If the purpose of the exam question/exercise was to practice using adjectives of quality, then using "a lot of" would technically be incorrect.

If not, though, I can't think of any reason why using an adjective of quantity there would be wrong, other than "It sounds a bit off." Maybe eggieguffer can chime in, he's usually got a great handle on this sort of thing.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 02:26:10 pm »
I know it feels more natural to say "Because there is a lot of snow" rather than "because of a lot of snow," but if there's a grammatical reason the second sentence is incorrect, I sure can't find a suitable explanation anywhere.

It could still be marked wrong on an exam for some reasons even if it's grammatically correct, I suppose, depending on what the purpose of the exam question was. While "heavy" and "a lot of" are both adjectives, they're different kinds of adjectives (quality and quantity, respectively). The former is saying what kind of snow it is, the latter is saying how much snow there is. If the purpose of the exam question/exercise was to practice using adjectives of quality, then using "a lot of" would technically be incorrect.

If not, though, I can't think of any reason why using an adjective of quantity there would be wrong, other than "It sounds a bit off." Maybe eggieguffer can chime in, he's usually got a great handle on this sort of thing.

Thanks for the compliment but not sure I can add much more. Grammatically OK but doesn't sound natural. Another terrible example of a pointless exam question

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 02:34:50 pm »
yeah, it's just about natural collocations, isn't it?

one sounds more natural than the other, even though they are both grammatically correct

e.g. you could say someone has yellow hair, but it's more common/acceptable to say blonde

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 05:29:05 am »
no use rly replying so late but simply replace it with another noun after the prep. phrase because of...and then you see whats wrong about [quantifier] snow.  heavy is not a quantifier like many much.

I couldn't sleep because of the noise.

I couldn't sleep because of the loud/soft/white/bad/good noise.

I couldn't sleep because of [a lot of] noise. (was made)
green everything