Read 4398 times

Re: Holy *hit. Went to a Korean Dept. Store w/gf
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2018, 01:45:50 pm »
So it fits well, it's not shiny and it's in a fashionable style, that's it? Would anyone claim to be able to distinguish a cheap suit from an expensive one for any other reason?

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2018, 01:48:03 pm »
Well had my first experience in a Korean department store.  Been here awhile and never need to step foot in one.  I have a gf and wanted to buy her a new coat so I suggested we go shopping.  We went to Lotte Dept. store.

What in the actual f..  All these no name Korean brands selling basic wool coats or whatever for asinine amounts of money.  800k for a pea coat made by J.Moonwangdong bla bla or 1.2m for a coat made by Winterwonderland jihhee lee..  Do Koreans think a higher price automatically means good.. high quality and well made? 

The quality was on par with any other mass-produced item from China sweatshops.  Who in the world is paying these prices?  Do rich Koreans just have money to burn? Yes, they do.  I assume when rich Koreans want to spend money on high fashion they buy italian, english and french name brands that people know so they can show off their wealth.  They're ostentatious like that.

I said fug this.. lets go to Costco.  My American company didn't let me down.  High-quality coats at a reasonable price.

Don't waste your time in these overpriced traps.  Can't believe how freaking crowded it was. Most Koreans were rummaging around the sales bin like rabid dogs in heat.  So maybe the expensive stuff is just a ploy since I saw barely anyone buying it.

Veblen  effect and it's NOT exclusive to just Koreans as somebody else mentioned--ultimately, people are people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/11/30/they-had-us-fooled-inside-paylesss-elaborate-prank-dupe-people-into-paying-shoes/?noredirect=on
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2018, 01:48:20 pm »
Whenever I look at a suit to determine its worth, I pay attention to the way it's been cut and how it's been stitched. The material's important, too, but not as important as the cut and stitching. This is the same for basically anything I look at, really, and this is what I use to gauge how overpriced a clothing item may be. Most people don't know what to look for, so they gauge by brand name.

With all that being said, even cheap stuff can look great on you if you get them fitted for your body and know how to wear/accessorize them.

And I don't personally think shiny suits are a fashion faux pas. They're more like a fashion risk. You need to have the right cut, color, and fit. Most people can't pull them off anyway.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2018, 01:51:55 pm »
So it fits well, it's not shiny and it's in a fashionable style, that's it? Would anyone claim to be able to distinguish a cheap suit from an expensive one for any other reason?
good question. any "suit experts" here? isn't aristocrat always talking about fashion? wonder if he has any insights

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2018, 02:01:51 pm »
good question. any "suit experts" here? isn't aristocrat always talking about fashion? wonder if he has any insights

Fit is the important thing then comes the colour/color.  I've gotten complimenets from wearing $200-$300 suits from Zara and Express.

Shiny is fine as long it ain't excessive. I work in the financial district in Toronto, Canada and I see people wearing suits with shine all the time, but I do agree cheap suits in Korea overdo it.

Ensure the suit is primarily made from wool--cotton is Ok for the summer, but just be prepared to iron it often.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:17:47 pm by Davey »
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2018, 02:16:20 pm »
It's mostly fit that matters. A cheap suit with a good fit, looks much better than an expensive suit with a lousy fit. As long as you don't got random strands hanging from your suit, it's should be fine.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2018, 02:21:31 pm »
Since it sounds like there are some suit experts in here, quick question: I've wanted to get a suit for a while, and found this on Gmarket. A full suit (jacket, pants, vest) is ~150k. The material seems to be polyester (원단 / 폴리에스테르 it says). Is this a decent deal/suit or not?

The issue with polyester is that it's not very comfy and breathable, meaning it's only good during colder seasons. Try it for now and see how you feel.  If you don't like it, spend another 100k or 200k more on better material (as I mentioned, wool is ideal, cotton more for warmer seasons).

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2018, 03:00:15 pm »
I get my suits from I do not own a suit.

I -have- a suit, but I've only worn it like twice. Maybe 3 times if you include trying it on. :p
Suits are so uncomfortable, I would only wish them on my worst enemies.

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2018, 08:32:09 am »
Does anyone here (teachers) wear a suit to work?

I remember before coming here with EPIK, one of the things the co-ordinator told us was to bring a suit to wear for when we meet our coteachers/principal for the first time.  I was quite stressed out about it because I didn't own a suit and didn't really want to buy one.

Thank god I didn't.  Knowing what I know now about this job and the environment, wearing a suit would have been ridiculous hahaha  :laugh:

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2018, 08:39:34 am »

I remember before coming here with EPIK, one of the things the co-ordinator told us was to bring a suit to wear for when we meet our coteachers/principal for the first time.  I was quite stressed out about it because I didn't own a suit and didn't really want to buy one.

Thank god I didn't.  Knowing what I know now about this job and the environment, wearing a suit would have been ridiculous hahaha  :laugh:

i have a friend who works at a foreign language high school here and he has to wear a suit everyday. i was lucky and my coordinator told me i didn't really need to bring a suit.

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2018, 08:40:50 am »

I did it.

I definitely made an impression.  :laugh:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2018, 08:45:50 am »
In Japan you have to wear a suit, or at least a shirt and tie everyday. First place I worked they wanted us to wear a full suit everyday, all seasons. Other place you could lose the suit jacket, but allowed to roll your shirt sleeves up.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2018, 09:10:26 am »

We got told "formal business attire" but minimum of business shirt and tie and dress pants.
My principals first comment to me was "You are overdressed."
As long as I wear long pants, I can wear anything else.

So, I do dress pants and a casual t-shirt :p

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2018, 09:37:31 am »
I've never understood fashion. Anything that's not smelly, covered in stains or full of holes is OK for me.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2018, 10:53:26 am »

i have a friend who works at a foreign language high school here and he has to wear a suit everyday. i was lucky and my coordinator told me i didn't really need to bring a suit.
Depends on the school, but some schools can be pretty conservative.

I once worked a very conservative all boys private Middle/High School. Of the about 100 teachers there, maybe 5 were women, and 2 of them were secretaries. Virtually all the men wore suits from like September until May-ish. During the summer months we wore short sleeved collared, or golf, shirts. Even my 2 day a week circulating school, which was fully public, the men wore suits. Although only about 20% of the teachers there were men. I guess it was the town I was in, and their expectations, dictated the dress 'code'.

Then I went to my 2nd school, 2 years later, and half the men were wearing t-shirts. Big culture change... lol

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2019, 07:46:44 pm »
Well had my first experience in a Korean department store.  Been here awhile and never need to step foot in one.  I have a gf and wanted to buy her a new coat so I suggested we go shopping.  We went to Lotte Dept. store.

What in the actual f..  All these no name Korean brands selling basic wool coats or whatever for asinine amounts of money.  800k for a pea coat made by J.Moonwangdong bla bla or 1.2m for a coat made by Winterwonderland jihhee lee..  Do Koreans think a higher price automatically means good.. high quality and well made? 

The quality was on par with any other mass-produced item from China sweatshops.  Who in the world is paying these prices?  Do rich Koreans just have money to burn? Yes, they do.  I assume when rich Koreans want to spend money on high fashion they buy italian, english and french name brands that people know so they can show off their wealth.  They're ostentatious like that.

I said fug this.. lets go to Costco.  My American company didn't let me down.  High-quality coats at a reasonable price.

Don't waste your time in these overpriced traps.  Can't believe how freaking crowded it was. Most Koreans were rummaging around the sales bin like rabid dogs in heat.  So maybe the expensive stuff is just a ploy since I saw barely anyone buying it.

I'm confused.  It was your first time walking into a department store and you automatically are able to make a snap judgement about the quality? 

I never cared much about brand names until I actually paid attention to what real quality is.  My wife has some brand name stuff and I'll say, wow that's looks beautiful and she'll reply that it's ten or fifteen years old.  That's pretty good quality.  I suggest you don't have the mentality to live in a foreign country if snap judgments are normal operating procedure for you.

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:01 am »

I'm confused.  It was your first time walking into a department store and you automatically are able to make a snap judgement about the quality? 

I never cared much about brand names until I actually paid attention to what real quality is.  My wife has some brand name stuff and I'll say, wow that's looks beautiful and she'll reply that it's ten or fifteen years old.  That's pretty good quality.  I suggest you don't have the mentality to live in a foreign country if snap judgments are normal operating procedure for you.

I'm not in any way disagreeing with you, but a lot of the time when luxury or fashion-brand name stuff still looks good ten of fifteen years later, it's partly due to the quality, but also partly due to it getting treated more carefully and receiving less wear and tear than your day-to-day clothes.

Even the best fabric in the world will wear out eventually if it's getting heavy use.

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2019, 11:46:39 am »

I'm not in any way disagreeing with you, but a lot of the time when luxury or fashion-brand name stuff still looks good ten of fifteen years later, it's partly due to the quality, but also partly due to it getting treated more carefully and receiving less wear and tear than your day-to-day clothes.

Even the best fabric in the world will wear out eventually if it's getting heavy use.

Yeah, I mean she has some t-shirts from her favorite store that started getting holes after ten years or so.  The sweaters and other things still look like new.  My point was, you cannot tell quality from price and the OP says he's seeing these brands for the first time.  It's quite unfair to make a judgement about quality just based on the price when he's equipped with such little experience.

Of course you treat it better, but that's kind of the point.  The OP just assumes people are buying them because their name brand, completing ignoring the other variables such as the quality of the material, how it feels against your skin and other important things. 

I was a bargain bin shopper in America and when I first came to Korea.  Since then I've been blessed with some success and I can tell a very real and cost worthy difference between wearing Homeplus clothes and buying Beanpole not to mention I'm not throwing clothes out nearly as often as I used to.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:48:21 am by leaponover »

• Chester Jim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2015, 02:17:12 pm
    • Arkansas
    more
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2019, 12:18:00 pm »
No one cares that you have a Korean girlfriend.
Bonzai!

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2019, 12:44:02 pm »
No one cares that you have a Korean girlfriend.

I care. Caught you, Jimbo.

No one cares that you don't care, though. That's a fact, my guy.   :angel: