Read 4380 times

• Chester Jim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2015, 02:17:12 pm
    • Arkansas
    more
Re: Holy *hit. Went to a Korean Dept. Store w/gf
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2018, 08:43:49 am »
I'm curious how much is it that it's actual craftmanship we are pay for and how much of it is just arbitary numbers put on something.  After all, the company Superme sold a single brick to the public for $30.  This generation seems to throw their money at something if it's hyped up enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPLWTT3ZVMo

This looks like the carhartt store that they opened in hongdae, but not as a joke.
Bonzai!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2018, 08:54:04 am »
I took my 10 year-old through the Shinsegae boutiques last night (movie was sold out, so had time to kill.)

Even a 10 year-old knows those prices are insane!

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2018, 09:40:01 am »
Martino - So you want me to haggle the price of a jacket at Lotte Dept. store?  The price on the tag is not the real price?  Yeah, you can do that at a market but a dept. store..  Isn't it illegal to falsify the price at corporate places? 

Anyways, definitely not gonna start an argument about anything Korean with you.  It's a fact that for the quality of products Koreans produce, the price is extremely overpriced.  Protectionism and lack of foreign competition has made Korean consumers think this is normal and cost them tons of money and left them with inferior products. 

Just go to Uniqlo and see how packed it is.  A foreign company entered the marketplace and offered decent clothing at an affordable price.  Koreans drank it up like soju on a Friday night.   If Koreans want to sell their products abroad without high tariffs, they're gonna have to let the waygooks sell their goods here as well.  It's been happening and that's why we see lower priced high-quality products at Costco and some other places.  Have you been to Costco??  It's the busiest store in Korea and the highest revenue producing  Costco in the world.  Looks like Koreans have been waiting for this reprieve instead of being held hostage by their Chaebols.

And what's great about all this??  Now Korean companies will up their game and make more competitive products.  See how free market capitalism benefits the consumer? 
aa/

You don't haggle at Lotte, but you don't pay sticker price either. At the lower-end dept. stores you might haggle. Also, it's not a false price if they offer a sale. Dude, anyone who has done any shopping in Korea knows that if a clothing price tag says W500,000 that you can probably find it being sold for something like W129,000 if you know when to shop and what to ask.

The daily white dress shirts I wear, I essentially use as disposables and pay like W13,000 for. They come in a package with a price tag that says W65,000. You're an idiot if you're paying W65,000 won and believe that's what most people are paying for them. They only do that for the dumb people.

The protectionism also enabled the rise of a middle class and allowed the to develop industries. There's more to life than cheap consumer goods made in Malaysia. The Korean economy does not exist to make YOU happy. So yes, there are higher prices, but it's not as wildly overpriced as you think it is.

Also, what company are they excluding? What company is being kept out? It's not like Korean companies are competing with discount American or European clothing brands. No one in Korea is running off to buy noname American brands you buy at Wal-Mart. They're buying U.S. upscale and luxury brands. I don't think your consumer model is quite accurate.

A lot of it comes down to brand recognition. Uniqlo is known internationally. There's nothing dramatically different from Korean clothes you find on Gmarket in terms of quality (sorry, if you think Uniqlo is significantly better in terms of quality, you're an idiot). What it does have is an established brand so people won't think you're buying no-name cheap ass Gmarket clothing.

It's the brand-name recognition, not the quality that Costco is selling. Someone buying a bunch of Calvin Klein boxer shorts isn't buying them because of their quality. They're buying them because of the name and the sex appeal of them. You could replace the logo with "Han Sung" and no one would buy them, even if they were otherwise identical.

I'm trying to tell you that this perception of quality is as much in your head as it is in theirs. You're doing the same thing as them.

Every country that has developed it's domestic economy to the point of being able to export things has used protectionism. If you don't, you get swamped by outsiders and can't even start up. You have to have a base before you can compete.

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2018, 09:50:07 am »
I'm curious how much is it that it's actual craftmanship we are pay for and how much of it is just arbitary numbers put on something.  After all, the company Superme sold a single brick to the public for $30.  This generation seems to throw their money at something if it's hyped up enough.
Pretty much. I notice a lot of people who struggle with this are men. Women tend to have more experience buying clothes of varying quality and know what to expect from a cheap pair of shoes at W20,000 vs. W200,000 or W800,000 and what is a ripoff and so on.

As I try to tell everyone, a lot of it is all made in the same damn Bangladeshi factory. Korean logo on it? "It's overpriced crap with bad quality" Familiar brand logo "High quality item". A lot of it is confirmation bias as well.

Cheap crap clothing here is sold for cheap crap prices. If you're paying a lot for Korean crap clothing, you're shopping stupid. I can't help you if you're paying W10,000 for 3 pairs of socks that are the same ones you get from some truck on the street at 3 pairs for W1,000.

Like, there are definite rip-offs and things can be more expensive, but you just have to shop smart, both domestically and with stuff from overseas. That means checking for sales, googling brands, shopping around, haggling, and so on.

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2018, 09:53:23 am »
Does anyone know if the deliberately high sticker prices on some goods is essentially a "face-saving" tactic and an off-shoot of Chinese discount bragging culture?

Here's a hint- you're more likely to sell to a Chinese person (and people in general) if you sell them something at $45 marked down from $90 than something at $40 that you marked down from $45.

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2018, 10:08:33 am »
If you really think that there's no difference between a Calvin Klein tshirt and a no name, cheap Gmarket one then I don't know what to tell you.

You actually believe that they're the same tshirt but with a different tag sewn into it?

Lol factories aren't limited to only using one kind of material and one design spec.

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2018, 10:09:44 am »
Does anyone know if the deliberately high sticker prices on some goods is essentially a "face-saving" tactic and an off-shoot of Chinese discount bragging culture?

Here's a hint- you're more likely to sell to a Chinese person (and people in general) if you sell them something at $45 marked down from $90 than something at $40 that you marked down from $45.

Yeah,  I guess you're generally more likely to sell to anyone if you lie about stuff

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2018, 10:47:05 am »
If you really think that there's no difference between a Calvin Klein tshirt and a no name, cheap Gmarket one then I don't know what to tell you.

You actually believe that they're the same tshirt but with a different tag sewn into it?

Lol factories aren't limited to only using one kind of material and one design spec.
No, they're not the same. There's thread count, stitch pattern, fabric blend, sizing, and cut.

But if you took off the tags, had people wear em, I don't think people's perceptions would be quite as disparate. I've had plenty of designer sweaters/shirts/etc. not be up to snuff as well.

About the only thing I've found that really is worth it and has no comparison and I could tell the difference is Haggar's slacks. I've heard the same with Clark's shoes, though I've never worn them. A lot of the other stuff is just a designer's name on Indonesian sameness.   

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2018, 11:03:17 am »

No, they're not the same. There's thread count, stitch pattern, fabric blend, sizing, and cut.

But if you took off the tags, had people wear em, I don't think people's perceptions would be quite as disparate. I've had plenty of designer sweaters/shirts/etc. not be up to snuff as well.

About the only thing I've found that really is worth it and has no comparison and I could tell the difference is Haggar's slacks. I've heard the same with Clark's shoes, though I've never worn them. A lot of the other stuff is just a designer's name on Indonesian sameness.

I've had respectable brand expensive stuff over the years that's fallen apart quite soon and Primark type stuff that's lasted for years. And vice versa. But then again I'm always hearing about guys wearing ' cheap suits' in movies/literature but am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to pick one out. I could pick out a badly fitting suit, so maybe that's what they mean.

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2018, 12:01:53 pm »
anyone who thinks the price of a thing and it's quality are necessarily related is drinking some weird kool-aid

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2018, 12:10:49 pm »
eggieguffer:  But then again I'm always hearing about guys wearing ' cheap suits' in movies/literature but am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to pick one out. I could pick out a badly fitting suit, so maybe that's what they mean.

You might surprise yourself.  Go take a long look at the window of a Parkland.  That will give you the foundation for a bad suit. And, I hate to say this, but empirically speaking English teachers at other English teachers' weddings tend to to wear some pretty crappy suits.  Note the shine. 

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2018, 12:24:09 pm »
eggieguffer:  But then again I'm always hearing about guys wearing ' cheap suits' in movies/literature but am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to pick one out. I could pick out a badly fitting suit, so maybe that's what they mean.

You might surprise yourself.  Go take a long look at the window of a Parkland.  That will give you the foundation for a bad suit. And, I hate to say this, but empirically speaking English teachers at other English teachers' weddings tend to to wear some pretty crappy suits.  Note the shine.

So shiny = cheap?

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2018, 12:37:46 pm »

Yeah I agree with you there about the influence of the tags.

Clark's are very good quality.  I'd pick some up here if they weren't so bloody expensive  :wink:

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2018, 01:11:23 pm »
anyone who thinks the price of a thing and it's quality are necessarily related is drinking some weird kool-aid

True. I get my suits from Tesco when I'm back in the UK, they are inexpensive but really well made.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2018, 01:12:10 pm »

So shiny = cheap?
Unless it is silk, shine is a good indicator.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2018, 01:13:53 pm »
I get my suits from I do not own a suit.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2018, 01:14:39 pm »

So shiny = cheap?
Unless it is silk, shine is a good indicator.

I prefer the word "luster". Sounds more luxurious.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2018, 01:15:34 pm »
Shiny isn't necessarily cheap, it's just something you'd expect in a seventies area Scorsese mob flick.  It's gaudy. 

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2018, 01:36:20 pm »
when someone says "that suit looks cheap", i take it meaning "that suit isn't fashionable"

you don't need to spend an awful lot on a decent suit; just make sure it fits (probably the biggest issue) and that it isn't 70s-아쩌씨-style)

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2018, 01:45:05 pm »
Since it sounds like there are some suit experts in here, quick question: I've wanted to get a suit for a while, and found this on Gmarket. A full suit (jacket, pants, vest) is ~150k. The material seems to be polyester (원단 / 폴리에스테르 it says). Is this a decent deal/suit or not?