Read 1389 times

Buying a laptop online
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:42:45 am »
So after having always bought low-end laptops ($500~ range) I'm thinking about finally taking the plunge and spending a solid chunk (1.3m won) on a quality laptop for music production purposes. I've been to the local computer shops here and while they carry the same laptop brands as vendors online, they're typically marked up 200-300~k won and they feature lower specs...  :undecided: However, I have some reservations about buying online, the most obvious one being: I can't as easily take it in for repairs and I fear that in general my investment would be less secure in the event something goes wrong--or worse, that it's defective on arrival.

So my question is: for those who have purchased moderately-priced laptops online here, have you had success with them working? (Though I realize each model will vary in issues...) And if something has gone wrong, how difficult has it been to send it in for repairs?

Thanks.

Re: Buying a laptop online
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:13:59 am »
i just bought a new desktop online for 1.3 mil.  works like a dream.   take the plunge

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 10:35:22 am »
i just bought a new desktop online for 1.3 mil.  works like a dream.   take the plunge

Everything is great until it's not. If something goes wrong with it...is it covered under warranty? And how would you go about shipping it in to get looked at? Returning anything here is a headache and in general I find dealers on Gmarket to be more hit and miss than back home.

Guess I'm skeptical from reading the thousands of reviews about laptops of all kinds having problems, though I suppose there are probably millions who haven't had problems and don't say anything (positive or negative).

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 10:52:34 am »

Everything is great until it's not. If something goes wrong with it...is it covered under warranty? And how would you go about shipping it in to get looked at? Returning anything here is a headache and in general I find dealers on Gmarket to be more hit and miss than back home.

Guess I'm skeptical from reading the thousands of reviews about laptops of all kinds having problems, though I suppose there are probably millions who haven't had problems and don't say anything (positive or negative).

It would come with a manufacturer's warranty, one would assume.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:59:15 am by Savant »

• AvecPommesFrites
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2017, 02:19:33 pm
    • Incheon International Airport Immigration Office Detention Facility
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 10:53:03 am »
It doesn't matter where you purchase it from. If it breaks then you send it to the manufacturer not the shop you bought it at for repairs. If you buy LG or Samsung then your options for repairs will probably be much greater and simpler than buying a less known or non Korea famous brand.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:00:24 am by AvecPommesFrites »
Soggy undergarments

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 11:24:38 am »
I know a guy who builds all kinds of computers for ex-pats in Korea.  I bought my machine from (and had it repaired by) him.  He knows hi onions, and his prices are pretty sweet.  here is his website:

http://englishpcsales.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 12:22:13 pm »
It's a Lenovo brand laptop, so if something goes wrong I guess I can just send it in to the Lenovo service center in Gangnam then.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 12:33:05 pm »
I know a guy who builds all kinds of computers for ex-pats in Korea.  I bought my machine from (and had it repaired by) him.  He knows hi onions, and his prices are pretty sweet.  here is his website:

I've had him restore a bricked external hard-drive and fix up my laptop. He does quality work. I'd recommend him too.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 01:09:55 pm »
I bought a decent laptop (i7, 940m GTX, 4gb of Ram, 1TB HD, 17") 3-4 yrs ago for 1mill. I have not had any problems with it that were not software (which I fixed). I upgraded the ram myself easily (had 2 dimm slots).

It took me a few weeks of looking through gmarket. My Korean friend who knows comps also helped with a bit of looking but I found the right deal. Computer prices here are stupid expensive for the specs. But if you find a sweet deal you wont feel too bad.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 01:10:33 pm »
It's a Lenovo brand laptop, so if something goes wrong I guess I can just send it in to the Lenovo service center in Gangnam then.

I don’t know about Lenovo, but a friend had some issues with an HP laptop which was purchased in Singapore. In the end, warranty service “wasn’t possible” in Korea, so she bought a new one here and shipped the dud to a friend in Singapore as a gift.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 01:32:51 pm »
http://item.gmarket.co.kr/DetailView/Item.asp?goodscode=1527968699&GoodsSale=Y&jaehuid=200002657&service_id=pcdn

I'm looking at the Y530 (16gb ram, intel i7-8750H, 250ssd/2tb) to get the job done for my resource-demanding DAW and music software. Planning to use it for the next 5-6 years so need it to last.

It doesn't come with an OS however...which they charge an extra $150 for Windows 10? Why would I pay that when I can just buy a key for $10 online to activate Win 10? (apparently they work from what I've read)

Edit: ^ probably not legitimate however...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:35:50 pm by AlivePoet »

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 02:45:26 pm »

It would come with a manufacturer's warranty, one would assume.

mine is a lenovo.  they are legit.  it comes with a manufacturer's warranty

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 11:37:14 pm »

How are they selling MS Office 2016 Professional for $100? Retail life time copies cost $600. Home costs $160 retail. Their wording says they'll have sb come install for you rather than usual way of just giving a key which suggests cracked copies.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 09:01:40 am »
KMSPico is a free download that activates Windows and Office without a key. I've never had any problems with it.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 09:57:33 am »

How are they selling MS Office 2016 Professional for $100? Retail life time copies cost $600. Home costs $160 retail. Their wording says they'll have sb come install for you rather than usual way of just giving a key which suggests cracked copies.
Often if you buy a computer, you can get it discounted. However, buying it stand alone often you pay the full price.