Read 1567 times

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
Coco Camp
« on: December 07, 2018, 01:31:07 pm »
Hi everyone! Ever since I saw the movie Coco, I have wanted to do a camp with it. Now is my chance!

I have just started looking for materials and I am going to upload here now. As I continue to find/make materials for the camp, I will put them on this thread.

If you are doing a Coco camp too, please post your materials here.

Enjoy!

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Incheon
Re: Coco Camp
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 01:37:09 pm »
Disney Printouts.

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Incheon
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:41:23 pm »
Day of the Dead.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 09:58:27 am »
OP - did you bail on this camp? I think it's a really good idea. Please keep posting materials :D

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 12:16:08 pm »
 Co co curry Japanese curry dongcasu chain

• daream
  • Newgookin

• December 04, 2014, 05:44:43 am
    • US
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 03:26:45 pm »
I'm currently working on a Coco Camp as well. Powering through PPTs and later I'll try to post them. Hopefully I can have some worksheets up too.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 04:03:15 pm »
I'm currently working on a Coco Camp as well. Powering through PPTs and later I'll try to post them. Hopefully I can have some worksheets up too.
Nice! 8)

• daream
  • Newgookin

• December 04, 2014, 05:44:43 am
    • US
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 02:27:36 pm »
Here's a card game. This game will be played on day 2, which is for learning family member titles.

This game is basically UNO.
When students put down a card to play, they must introduce the family member using a complete sentence. "This is my _______." "These are my _______".

Ex. Student has red card with grandmother on it. Student should say, "This is my grandmother."
The next student should either play a red card or a card with the grandmother on it.

If it needs more explaining, let me know. Also, this is for a very small camp.

• monty0hm
  • Waygookin

• September 06, 2017, 08:33:08 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 12:29:30 pm »
Hey, I actually did a mix of Coco and The Little Mermaid for my 'Disney' camp this year.
It's a 10 day camp but I've stripped the book down to just the Coco stuff (5 days) and the assorted Disney bonus activities (colouring/crosswords etc) for this thread.

You may find that depending on the level of your students activity 4 is too difficult - just take it out/chop and change as appropriate.

Please download the font that goes with the book or the titles will all come out reaaaally ugly :)

**with regards to the stamp page - I usually give my kids a stamp for each page they finish. This includes the bonus activities. I've found that this keeps them very quiet during the breaks/if they finish their work early, as they always have something to work towards. On the flip side, sometimes students want to do the bonus work when they should be doing their real work - just worth noting to look out for.

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Incheon
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 03:45:34 pm »
Hi everyone! I am on my last day of camp tomorrow so it is time to share my materials. Our Coco camp is only three days, so if your came is longer you will need to find more activities. We really enjoyed the camp, so I am excited to share it with you.

Our camp was three days about about 3 hours and 10 minutes each day.

Day 1: We actually didn't do much with Coco that day, we learn about Mexico. I got most of my materials for this day from another website. As these are not my materials, I don't want to pass them off as mine. You can find the materials for Mexico here: http://mrsbaiasclassroom.blogspot.com/2014/08/around-world-summer-camp-free.html

We used some of the first slides in her PPT in our Day 1 PPT, but I took them out of our PPT because they aren't ours. Out of her materials, we learned about Mexico; the capital, the money, the population and Spanish words. We also did the day in the life of activity. In addition to the slides on the PPT, we used the first page of her Mexico worksheets as the first page in our camp book. That is all we used from her. If your camp is longer, you can utilize some of her materials about Mexico to fill time during your camp.

For the rest of day 1: Presentation about the Day of the Dead. These are all in the movie Coco, so it's good that the students learn what they mean. It helps them understand the movie more. After, they are introduced to some of the Coco characters, and then they colored one character before break time. The color pages for the characters are in a previous post on this thread.

After break, they make a skull out of clay. They learn about sugar skulls in the Day of the Dead presentation, so they understand what they are supposed to look like. We got an air drying clay, but it has been taking a while to dry. We knew about this, so we planned on the students making the skull on day 1 and decorating them on day 3. But some of them are still a bit wet on day 3, so if you do this and have a longer camp, I suggest still making them on day 1 and decorating them on the latest possible day.

Next, we learned a sombrero dance (links in the PPT) we only learned the first dance (with the little boy and girl) because it is easy to learn. We made a boys team and a girls team and each team did the dance with a sombrero in the middle. First, we taught the steps, then, we did a practice round with the video, finally, had the contest. After, we watched the second video.

Then, played pass the sombrero. Since we had all the desks moved to the side for the dance contest, we kept the desks to the side and make a circle of chairs in the middle. We quickly review the PPT about what they have learned today about Mexico and the Day of the Dead. Then the students pass one sombrero around. They must put it on their hand and then take it off and pass to the next student. The teacher will play music. When the music stops, the student with the sombrero must answer a review question. For the music we used the Coco soundtrack (which they had already been listening to when they colored and made the skull - my teacher likes to play music during craft activities!). Here is the link to the playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN1ao6WDyjQ&list=PLFp1wHrgzWfcVE1XoLAPNeWJwvMAV_KHh

I recommend Mexican Institute of Sound - JŠlale (From "Coco"/Instrumental/Audio Only) because it is lively, but it sounds just like "Hey Mama" from the Black Eyed Peas!

With the remaining time, they played the memory game. The PDF for the memory game is in a previous post on this thread.

Day 2: The students learn family Spanish words. After, we checked Miguel's family tree and said the Spanish words for different family members on how they are related to Miguel. I had a hard time finding an accurate family tree for Miguel, but I think this is correct. You can watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEURZCJTuE or visit here: https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/The_Riveras and decide for yourself. The only problem I see with this family tree is Miguel's name is spelled wrong!

Then we learned some vocabulary from the movie and movie questions. I had such a hard time thinking about vocabulary for the movie and questions, so I ended buying a zip file for the movie at Teachers Pay Teachers. I am not going to share all of that file because it is not mine to share, but I will share a few things that I used for the booklet in case you want to change some things.

For day 1 we watch the movie until right after Miguel storms away from Hector after the talent show. It is around the 54 minute mark I believe.

After the movie is break time, and then we did making a marigold craft activity. The PDF for that is in a previous post on this thread. My tip for this activity is to make it yourself before doing it with the students. We bought yellow and orange tissue paper (we couldn't find ombre) and the paper we got is much smaller than what is on the PDF, so we skipped a couple of steps. We wouldn't have known this if we didn't do it beforehand. The students really like this activity.

Last, we played games. For the Pin the Tail on the Dog (Dante) my teacher used some program and she printed out different parts of Dante on four A4 sheets and taped the together. Then, the Dante file with the tail, she just printed out that part of his body and cut out his tail for the game. We used vocabulary; left, right, up, down, stop, for this game. The students really enjoyed it.

For the straw game, we used black beans, but I wish I would have thought about getting M&M's instead, because then they can eat them!

Day 3: The students learn some more Spanish. All of the words are words I picked up in the movie, though some of them are kind of redundant because they learned them on day 1. If you pick up any other words from the movie, you can change them out and use them!

After answering the questions, and the T/F quiz, they did the word search and maze. These are on a previous post on this thread. I didn't make this word search and we discovered "relatives" isn't in the search. If you find it, let me know!

Then they decorate their skulls. We had some sequin left over from a previous camp, so on day one they put the sequin in the wet clay. Alas, some of them fall out, so we had a hot glue gun handy so us teachers could glue on the sequin. We also have some pom poms from a previous camp that we could use the hot glue gun to glue on for the students. The students used markers to color the skulls.

If they finish early, they can color the guitar. The PDF for that is in a previous post on this thread.

If we have time, the students play Uno, which I got from this thread! Thank you! In the PPT, I only put one of each color to explain the game, but most students already know how to play Uno.

That's about all. If you have any questions, please comment on this thread and I will be happy to answer you.
My co-teacher made the PPTs and even though I checked them before camp and we have used them the past three weeks, I am still finding small mistakes on them. Please double check the PPT and if you see a mistake tell me!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:54:32 pm by annataleen »

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Incheon
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 12:59:39 pm »
OP - did you bail on this camp? I think it's a really good idea. Please keep posting materials :D
Hi! I didn't bail on the camp, but I am sorry I didn't post sooner. This school year, my school decided to something that native teachers often say needs to be changed. Instead of breaking around the holidays and then returning for a week or two in late January or early February, our school decided this year to try going into January, have graduation around the middle of the month, and then not come back until March!

It's been great, but because of that I didn't finish the camp until the second week of January, and I didn't start the camp until the third week of January. I didn't want to post it right away, because I always find mistakes when I am doing it.

But it is posted now, so I hope you can use it sometime!