Read 3849 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Re: So she fired me.....
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 10:42:37 am »
Reading this I am pretty happy I never worked for a Hagwon. I have heard so many stories.

OP good luck and if things don't work out, have a look at China. Obviously you have to do your homework, but there are many great gigs in China. I was sorry I had to leave due to my age but I had a great job. Everything was free. I only paid for my food I ate, the rest of my salary I put into my pocket.

Plenty of part time jobs there too, illegal but you can do it if you stay under the radar.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 12:00:42 pm »
I was sorry I had to leave due to my age

Do they employ people in their 40's or 50's?
Catch my drift?

• Imeunha
  • Waygookin

• June 27, 2018, 10:09:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 12:05:50 pm »

No, I'm the only foreigner and I'm 30.  The bosses are 35 and 37 and the oldestones there.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 12:05:58 pm »
I can't get the new D10, I don't have the points for it.

You don't need points to get a D10, anyone who has completed a contract and is still in the country can get one.

If you have not completed your contract you need a letter of release however.

If you have no letter of release, then you can still get a D10 if you have a valid ongoing case with the labour board.
Catch my drift?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:41 pm »

No, I'm the only foreigner and I'm 30.  The bosses are 35 and 37 and the oldestones there.

I meant in China..
Catch my drift?

• Imeunha
  • Waygookin

• Korea
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 12:07:49 pm »

You don't need points to get a D10, anyone who has completed a contract and is still in the country can get one.

If you have no letter of release, then you can still get a D10 if you have a valid ongoing case with the labour board.

My understanding is the old D10 is being phased out this month (December) and the new one with the point system starting in the new year.  This point system is regardless of finishing a contract or not. Also I am being fired one month before completing a contract. 

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 12:09:47 pm »

My understanding is the old D10 is being phased out this month (December) and the new one with the point system starting in the new year.  This point system is regardless of finishing a contract or not. Also I am being fired one month before completing a contract.

Do you have a link to this? Any information?

Points?? what points?
Catch my drift?

• Imeunha
  • Waygookin

• Korea
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 12:14:31 pm »

Points?? what points?

Technically unofficial, so may be only a rumor but:

https://www.reddit.com/r/teachinginkorea/comments/9ump5f/new_d10_application_pointsbased_system_unofficial/?utm_source=reddit-android

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 12:22:59 pm »

I meant in China..

60 is the cutoff
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 12:30:31 pm »

Points?? what points?

https://www.reddit.com/r/teachinginkorea/comments/9ump5f/new_d10_application_pointsbased_system_unofficial/?utm_source=reddit-android

Looks pretty hard to get the 60 points necessary. I get the initial 20 points but only 15 additional points.

You get points for working abroad? In other countries? How do you prove that?

If this happens, it will be an end to all the regular E2 people with a BA and a pulse.

Basically they want only highly qualified people to hang around in the country. Do they really think someone with years of being a research student and a graduate from a top university is going to want to fill one of those 2.1 hogwon jobs?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:37:00 pm by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

• Imeunha
  • Waygookin

• Korea
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 12:51:27 pm »

Points?? what points?

Looks pretty hard to get the 60 points necessary. I get the initial 20 points but only 15 additional points.

You get points for working abroad? In other countries? How do you prove that?

If this happens, it will be an end to all the regular E2 people with a BA and a pulse.

Basically they want only highly qualified people to hang around in the country. Do they really think someone with years of being a research student and a graduate from a top university is going to want to fill one of those 2.1 hogwon jobs?

Maybe they want people to renew with their schools and hagwons? I think they just don't want foreigners here for 6 months with no jobs juat chilling out.  So you renew or you leave.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 01:04:19 pm »
How? It doesn't stop anyone for applying for/getting a job or renewing their contracts.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 02:08:01 pm »
I'm only following the direction that this thread has gone, but I don't understand the logic behind phasing out the D-10 the way it was previously.  It wasn't even around that long.  It seemed like a reasonable and logical step when it came out.  You were allowed to be out of the country three months out of the six.  Nice way to take a longer break and see family or travel and then come back.  I was considering getting it for March but instead just decided to renew.  Disappointing. 

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 02:13:06 pm »
How? It doesn't stop anyone for applying for/getting a job or renewing their contracts.

This will only stagnate wages more.  When it comes to renewal time:

Will you renew?

I'm not sure, i would like a payrise.

I can't afford it (he says whilst looking at brochures for a new Genesis), but as you only have 1 year of employment, you can either take the same wage, or go home and start a new visa process.

Ok, i will take 2.1m won again.

This will give so much more power to the employers to dictate the market.  They can hold anyone to ransom, as moving to a new employer will be all but impossible without leaving the country.

If you want to change employers after finishing a contract, how do you do this without a D10 visa?

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 02:17:51 pm »

Will you renew?

I can't afford it (he says whilst looking at brochures for a new Genesis), but as you only have 1 year of employment, you can either take the same wage, or go home and start a new visa process.

This will give so much more power to the employers to dictate the market.  They can hold anyone to ransom, as moving to a new employer will be all but impossible without leaving the country.

If you want to change employers after finishing a contract, how do you do this without a D10 visa?

I agree that it takes what little independence e2s had, away.

Doesn't an E2 have a 13th month? You could use the extra month to find a job.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Las Vegas
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2018, 02:42:38 pm »
I think they just don't want foreigners here for 6 months with no jobs juat chilling out.  So you renew or you leave.

Thing is, why would they not want that? You're spending your money in the country paying rent, buying food etc.

Maybe they just don't want people sitting on a D10 and doing privates. But in my exp its not people on D10's who do privates, its Canadians coming in on back-to-back 6-month tourist visas.
Catch my drift?

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2018, 03:07:18 pm »

Will you renew?

So, who is sponsoring the visa during the 13th month?  If it is employer 1, how do you transfer to employer 2 if employer 1 refuses to transfer?

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2018, 03:07:58 pm »

Will you renew?

I see this was said, but now that the visa extends a month beyond your contract finish date the above scenario isn't going to happen.  D10 was just a helpful sensible visa in its previous incarnation.  Basically, even though it's still called a d-10 it's a completely different visa.  Disappointing. 

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2018, 03:19:01 pm »

Will you renew?

Yes. Pretty sure that was a reason they did that.  That and hoping people would take a look round the peninsula before heading back home.

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2018, 04:02:55 pm »
Do they really think someone with years of being a research student and a graduate from a top university is going to want to fill one of those 2.1 hogwon jobs?

I don't agree with the change at all, but this change, like just about every other general change to immigration policy, isn't made with E2 visa holders in mind, nor is it the case that most jobs for foreigners are jobs at hagwons paying 2.1 million won per month. As of 2017, there were 14,000 people on E2 visas, as compared with 20,000 E7s, about 4,000 people on the points visa, as well as 2,000 E1s.