Read 5513 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Good news - Teaching in Taiwan - no age limit
« on: December 04, 2018, 02:54:23 pm »
One of the problems people face when they hit 60 is in Asia it is impossible to get a visa to work. I faced this problem when China changed the rule in the province I taught, Henan, from 65 to 60. I wasn't able to renew my visa and contract.

I then hit Google and found a recruitment agency, Dewey, mailed them and stated my problem and was chuffed when I got the reply, no age limit in Taiwan, you may apply.

So at the tender age of 65 (since turned 66), I put in my resume and application and well now I am teaching in two public schools in Taiwan.

So if you are healthy and want to continue to teach, Taiwan is the place to be.

PM me if you have any questions.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• kangsheng
  • Adventurer

• November 26, 2017, 01:02:06 am
    • Yongin
Re: Good news - Teaching in Taiwan - no age limit
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 03:13:57 pm »
Good for Taiwan. Something I don't like about Korea is my impending (a bit far off) retirement--why would I want to retire at 65? It's the new--well, whatever it is now. It's not my grandparents 65 certainly.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 03:22:14 pm »
Glad that worked out for you! You seemed quite settled in China, last we spoke.

I visited Taiwan in August. Awesome place (except the gigantic roaches EVERYWHERE haha). Scootering all over Hualien was definitely the highlight.

Anyway, congratulations on not having to return to the shit show that is South Africa ;D Good luck and enjoy!

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 03:44:59 pm »
Yes, I loved China but you know what with the president and his men clamping down on anything that moves there, I am a little relieved to be in free Taiwan. It is really a sad time for Chinese people and they don't even realise it. One day they are going to wake up and its going to be another North Korea with a dictator telling them what they can eat for breakfast. So tragic.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 04:24:09 pm »
Congratulations! Still working at 66, you are inspiring.

Yes, I loved China but you know what with the president and his men clamping down on anything that moves there, I am a little relieved to be in free Taiwan. It is really a sad time for Chinese people and they don't even realise it. One day they are going to wake up and its going to be another North Korea with a dictator telling them what they can eat for breakfast. So tragic.

I heard Chinese people now are locked into a social points system whereby everything they do is monitored and results in their "social score". Which basically determines what jobs they can get etc. Is that true?
Catch my drift?

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 04:40:52 pm »

I heard Chinese people now are locked into a social points system whereby everything they do is monitored and results in their "social score". Which basically determines what jobs they can get etc. Is that true?

Yes, Black Mirror season 3 episode 1.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 04:50:35 pm »
What is the public school system like in terms of recruiting and employing ESL teachers? Is it anything like EPIK?

Before teaching in Korea I looked into Taiwan and pretty much everything I read about it made it seem like not a great market--lower pay than Korea, not as many jobs, most jobs were at private cram schools, and foreign-born Chinese people dominated the ESL market, making a lot of schools expect fluent Chinese speakers to apply. I read about public school teaching here and there but it didn't seem as widespread or as easy to get into as in Korea. Most jobs seemed to be at private schools with Hess which didn't have a good reputation.

I went on vacation there a few years ago from Korea and really liked it. The random people were way nicer than random Koreans, people weren't shy about speaking English, and you could get way more foreign food at grocery stores than in Korea. Oh and drivers there are way safer and more courteous than Korean drivers, like they'd wait for you to cross the street instead of blasting through a pedestrian crossing like Koreans would. All the buildings looked really decrepit compared to Korea which was weird. Also I didn't like the food at all which was disappointing because I love Chinese food. Not sure if I'd like living in Taiwan but I found it surprisingly nice as a place to visit.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 05:55:36 pm »

Yes, it will be fully implemented in 2020. It's already in place in the major cities. It will determine what credit you can get, where you can work, whether you are allowed to travel outside your city and abroad.

You get points based on what you spend your money on, where you go, who you associate with, who you date or marry etc. If you marry someone below your social standing, you get points deducted. Insane.

Things are already tight, restrictions on travel are hectic, especially if you want to go abroad or even to Hong Kong, you have to apply for a visa to leave China and if you are not from one of the big 8 cities they designated, forget it.

If you are from a small village and you attended a not so famous college, you cannot work in a big city. The list goes on and on.

Since Pooh Bear, his nickname, declared himself president for life, things have got worse and worse. As I said in my original post, it is an amazingly sad and tragic time for the Chinese population. They are just wonderful and don't deserve the government they have.

I am truly gutted at what is happening there and it is only going to get worse.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 06:28:52 pm »
What is the public school system like in terms of recruiting and employing ESL teachers? Is it anything like EPIK?

Before teaching in Korea I looked into Taiwan and pretty much everything I read about it made it seem like not a great market--lower pay than Korea, not as many jobs, most jobs were at private cram schools, and foreign-born Chinese people dominated the ESL market, making a lot of schools expect fluent Chinese speakers to apply. I read about public school teaching here and there but it didn't seem as widespread or as easy to get into as in Korea. Most jobs seemed to be at private schools with Hess which didn't have a good reputation.

I went on vacation there a few years ago from Korea and really liked it. The random people were way nicer than random Koreans, people weren't shy about speaking English, and you could get way more foreign food at grocery stores than in Korea. Oh and drivers there are way safer and more courteous than Korean drivers, like they'd wait for you to cross the street instead of blasting through a pedestrian crossing like Koreans would. All the buildings looked really decrepit compared to Korea which was weird. Also I didn't like the food at all which was disappointing because I love Chinese food. Not sure if I'd like living in Taiwan but I found it surprisingly nice as a place to visit.

There are plenty of public school jobs available and if you are interested I can recommend Dewey. They are professional and get the job done. If you want contact details PM me and I will put you in touch with my recruiter. 

Having public school experience is a must if you want a good salary, the longer the better.

I get 2.8 million won plus 180,000 won housing allowance. Depending on where you are and what you like, that helps a lot. I have got a great apartment and my rent is 340,000 won excluding electricity, the rest is included.

You pay 18% income tax for the first 180 days, thereafter 4% but you can claim back the difference between the two after 180 days. Medical is 36,000 won a month and so is pension.

The only downside is you have to rent your own apartment and then get the allowance but when you arrive you need to pay 3 month's rent upfront. So in order to survive the first month before you get paid, you need about $2000.

You get your airfare refunded and if your spouse lives with you then your housing goes up to 360,000 won. If your spouse doesn't live with you but wants to visit you within the first 3 months of your contract, they will pay her return airfare.

Only been here a short time, but I love it. People are super friendly, the level of English will vary from place to place I guess. I live in a small city west of Taipei and the English level is about the same as the students I had in Seoul.

Food is way better and cheaper. Much greater choice. It's multicultural, many Filipinos and Vietnamese ladies here for the men that want to find a girlfriend/wife. Not sure about the men for ladies though.

The level of English in shops is way better than Korea. Even the small mom and pop stores mostly understand English.  The internet is great and public transport is okay where I live, no subway here but just normal trains but their times are not too consistent but again I guess it depends on where you are.

The weather is awesome, not too hot, not too cold.

Dress code for teachers in public schools is ultra casual. The lady teachers come in shorts.

Anyway, any more questions, you can PM me. So far I love it. I hope it stays that way. My co-teachers are all fluent in English and awesome people. They take me all over the place, give me gifts all the time, so no complaints there.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:32:24 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 07:16:54 pm »
The roaches though :laugh:

I went to Taiwan in August and made a film. Maybe it can assist with the promotional undertones of this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_iVbLt11o

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 07:48:03 pm »

I went to Taiwan in August and made a film. Maybe it can assist with the promotional undertones of this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_iVbLt11o

Sorry about the roaches but that you will find in the tropics all over the world. I have been lucky, none in my apartment so far.   :laugh: :laugh:

I made a video too, here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziZjapX9x6U&t=1s

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:40 pm »

Yes, it will be fully implemented in 2020. It's already in place in the major cities. It will determine what credit you can get, where you can work, whether you are allowed to travel outside your city and abroad.

People say "only the Chinese" would accept something like that but in fact westerners seem remarkably willing to let their freedoms slip away too.

I guess Tiananmen square was their last effort at freedom and it failed.

Lol you know nothing about anything beyond the tip of your nose.

ha ha yep. And the daily monsoon drenchings, sweltering humidity, huge class sizes, pressure to get a scooter. etc.

I get 2.8 million won plus 180,000 won housing allowance. Depending on where you are and what you like, that helps a lot. I have got a great apartment and my rent is 340,000 won excluding electricity, the rest is included.

I assume you have a PGCE/ formal teaching quals?
Catch my drift?

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 09:14:01 pm »
I heard a news report recently (CBC news) where other countries are buying software and other equipment

from China to implement the same kind of system in their own country.   

I think Iran was mentioned, but also some more western countries like Venezuela.

Scary stuff to be sure,  but the thing is the West they are already monitoring everyone through

cell phones and facebook/twitter etc.    :huh:

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:55 pm »

People say "only the Chinese" would accept something like that but in fact westerners seem remarkably willing to let their freedoms slip away too.

I guess Tiananmen square was their last effort at freedom and it failed.

Lol you know nothing about anything beyond the tip of your nose.

ha ha yep. And the daily monsoon drenchings, sweltering humidity, huge class sizes, pressure to get a scooter. etc.

I assume you have a PGCE/ formal teaching quals?

Yes, I am a licenced teacher and if you have 12 years or more teaching experience in a public school you get top of the scale, also having a masters or PhD gives you a lot more.

Class sizes at my two schools are 25, so not huge. Haven't been here in the monsoon season but I live in the Philippines so I am used to that. I think where I am in the North West, it is a little more moderate.  I would like a scooter but I am close to the station and my school is close to the station so I don't need. Not saying I will never get one but I haven't felt the pressure to get one.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 09:35:44 pm »

Vlogging - nice! Wish I had the balls to do that :laugh: That Filipino girl professing her love for Mcdonalds came at a good time - I was busy eating a golden egg cheeseburger lol. I'll subscribe for future updates.

You should definitely get a scooter before long. And be sure to visit the east coast, that's where the scenery's at.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 09:38:34 pm »
Sure the West monitors you, but do you need permission to leave your city? Do you need permission from your government to travel abroad or to other parts of your country? Is your beach bag scanned by X-ray when you go to the beach? (Shenzen beach).

If your country's ruling party have a conference are all foreigners forced to stay in their city? Are you body searched when you go on the subway?  Do foreigners get visits from the police at 11 pm at night and asked to prove where they had dinner that night? These things all happened to me.

As I said, I loved the people of China so much, I loved the schools, training schools and colleges I taught in, but the government........ not so much and as I said previously, the normal Chinese person doesn't deserve the government they have but to be honest the CCP has so much power, much like Kim Jung un, the normal citizens are screwed, they can do nothing unless they rise up as one but that ain't going to happen, they are too naive and indoctrinated and of course all negative news is censored. If they hear something about a bad deed by the government, they are told it is America trying to overthrow China and they believe it. Naive, so, so naive.

I heard a news report recently (CBC news) where other countries are buying software and other equipment

I think Iran was mentioned, but also some more western countries like Venezuela.

Scary stuff to be sure,  but the thing is the West they are already monitoring everyone through

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 09:42:07 pm »

Vlogging - nice! Wish I had the balls to do that :laugh: That Filipino girl professing her love for Mcdonalds came at a good time - I was busy eating a golden egg cheeseburger lol. I'll subscribe for future updates.

You should definitely get a scooter before long. And be sure to visit the east coast, that's where the scenery's at.

Glad you enjoyed it, I will try to do more of that kind of video.   ;D ;D

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 09:51:50 pm »
Sure the West monitors you, but do you need permission to leave your city? Do you need permission from your government to travel abroad or to other parts of your country? Is your beach bag scanned by X-ray when you go to the beach? (Shenzen beach).

If your country's ruling party have a conference are all foreigners forced to stay in their city? Are you body searched when you go on the subway?  Do foreigners get visits from the police at 11 pm at night and asked to prove where they had dinner that night? These things all happened to me.

As I said, I loved the people of China so much, I loved the schools, training schools and colleges I taught in, but the government........ not so much and as I said previously, the normal Chinese person doesn't deserve the government they have but to be honest the CCP has so much power, much like Kim Jung un, the normal citizens are screwed, they can do nothing unless they rise up as one but that ain't going to happen, they are too naive and indoctrinated and of course all negative news is censored. If they hear something about a bad deed by the government, they are told it is America trying to overthrow China and they believe it. Naive, so, so naive.

You're right, what the west is doing is much less intrusive/invasive/ or whatever adjective you want to put on it.

The point is tho that more and more countries are going with the Chinese model and with all the PC nonsense

and the hysteria about "climate change" it isn't to far fetched to think that this could catch on globally.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 12:20:01 am »
Besides the hot weather and cockroaches Taiwan is a great country/part of China to live in. Unfortunately its heyday has come and gone and teaching there now won't be as fruitful as back in the 2000-2004 days.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 04:34:21 am »
Besides the hot weather and cockroaches Taiwan is a great country/part of China to live in. Unfortunately its heyday has come and gone and teaching there now won't be as fruitful as back in the 2000-2004 days.

Not sure what you mean by not being fruitful, I think my salary is okay, higher then I got in Korea and China.