Read 2414 times

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
Re: How much camp do you usually do? (EPIK teachers only)
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 12:55:11 pm »
My MOE is slightly different. No camp for Middle or High schools. So EPIK teachers in these schools do a week camp for the MOE that's all planned out for you, different kids each day.  Finish at 12.30 taken for lunch then home. We also get paid overtime for the whole thing.

Sweet as a nut.

My last POE had me doing one week summer, one week winter. It was crap because  it wasn't optional so the middle schoolers just (understandably) did not want to be there. Felt like a dentist.

Edit: I forgot my second school made me go to a pension over night for theirs. It was held on a random Friday months before winter vacation. So actually it wasn't that bad and the kids who attended this were in the English club, so actually wanted to be there with their friends. Again very minimal planning on my part.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:20:53 pm by debbiem89 »

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 01:07:23 pm »
No sure how to answer this but I got forced into doing 3 camps because my co teachers. I was only told to do one by my main school and then the other two made the dates during my school time and I couldn't refuse. So now I'm teaching 3 camps and it about 13 days in total. One of my camps is 9 days.

F for respects....

Well my one school I tried to get out of it by saying I had to teach on another day but then my coteacher changed the dates so I can go. I really wanted to say no because it means I have to work on Christmas eve in the afternoon which means so much for leaving town after school. It sucks but I didn't want to make my work environment uncomfortable.

• rowdes
  • Veteran

• June 23, 2010, 02:37:28 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2018, 02:31:20 pm »
I really miss doing the camps in Daegu. I use to have 2-3 day camps at my 2 schools.
In Seoul, I have 2 weeks of camps.

• creview
  • Explorer

• February 15, 2016, 03:54:57 pm
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2018, 09:58:33 pm »
I answered 2 weeks but actually if it's per year then it's 4 total. Camps are so stressful. The PoE asked us not to show any movies. I usually show them a movie on the last day (cooking day). The kids don't want to be there and you try to make it fun for them but the parents complain that they don't want them to play games.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2018, 05:30:56 am »
^ ah, yes. the old: make it fun, but don't play games. also don't show movies. but it must be well-planned and suitable for the students, even though you won't know how many student swill attend, or what level they are, until the morning of camp. plus we won't give you a budget, or any materials to use

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2018, 07:29:37 am »
^ ah, yes. the old: make it fun, but don't play games. also don't show movies. but it must be well-planned and suitable for the students, even though you won't know how many student swill attend, or what level they are, until the morning of camp. plus we won't give you a budget, or any materials to use
Yes, like at one school where my coteacher told the kids that we'd have a "market day" in spite of there being no budget and kept reiterating how excited they were for the thing that I could hardly spend any money on.

And in the end, they were disappointed and I didn't feel bad about it at all.

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2018, 07:38:11 am »
Since I must have pissed off the Karma gods and am now being punished with Winter camp, I was doing my best to keep a positive outlook.  Guess being positive does work because I was giving a budget of 440,000!  This is not the entire budget, but budget PER TEACHER!   :huh:  Well yay me!! 

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2018, 08:19:53 am »
Is it like this at everyone else's schools?...

The run up to camp is like they're planning a military operation.  About a million pieces of paper get printed and signed and I hear the word "camp" thrown around between my CT and the head of the department non stop for about two weeks.  The kids who are supposed to come to the camp are in and out of the office like headless chickens being summoned back and forth which never seems to end.

Then when the camp actually starts...it's a joke.  Three quarters of the kids don't come, everyone's late, CT just says "play games" and bargains for us to just "finish early" (why are you asking me; you're in charge!).

What a shite way to end an exhausting semester twice a year.

my experience was like this too. my CT liked to make our camps for the "lower achieving" students, so really it was a bunch of dumb-dumbs all in a room together. i got to leave at noon though, so that was nice.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term