Read 2423 times

Re: How much camp do you usually do? (EPIK teachers only)
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08:48 pm »
it beats deskwarming
it doesn't
lol to each their own ;)

but my school is also squeezing in 4 weeks worth of camp into 2 weeks this year (so technically instead of 4hrs or classes /day, it's 8 hrs or classes). but it's 100% possible and the Education Office actually told us that is how we have to do it. i duno about teecherjannie's situation but it seems perfectly okay and no, i don't get overtime.
This is wrong on every imaginable level. But kudos to you for being upbeat about it.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 12:10:47 pm »
it beats deskwarming
it doesn't
lol to each their own ;)

but my school is also squeezing in 4 weeks worth of camp into 2 weeks this year (so technically instead of 4hrs or classes /day, it's 8 hrs or classes). but it's 100% possible and the Education Office actually told us that is how we have to do it. i duno about teecherjannie's situation but it seems perfectly okay and no, i don't get overtime.

but tbh, it's not like we're going to make students come right at 8:30 - 4:30pm. we will probably start a little late, end a little early :)
are you sure about this? who gave you the information that 1) it's legal? and 2) you don't get overtime? i'd contact the coordinator to make you you aren't being mugged off

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 12:12:11 pm »
Well, I spoke too soon!  Just received a message from my PoE asking me to do a camp Jan. 14th ~ 17th  I do have the option to say "no" (I saw that they already have 4 NETs for this camp and only 50(ish) students which always dwindles down to maybe 30 students showing-up) but my work ethic won't allow me too.  Dang it!!!   :cry: DANG!!!

Maybe if you hold off giving your reply for long enough, they'll have found all the teachers they need. This way you end up looking good for offering, but still end up with no camp. Win-win!  :smiley:

That's what I'm doing... but it's killing me that I haven't answered them yet!   :laugh:  I always jinx myself when I brag.   :sad:

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 12:16:40 pm »
22 classes a week and anything more than that is overtime (the standard EPIK contract).

Don't be scared to be firm with your schools!

• tbart215
  • Explorer

• April 02, 2017, 04:08:21 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 01:10:48 pm »
Camp is one of the reason I tell HR teachers who tell me how much free time I have to kindly f*ck off.

3 weeks of camp every damn holiday period and other NETs are getting none. I'm not holding anything against them, they got lucky, but it's seriously damn unfair that you get paid the same amount of money, being on the same contract as the next person, yet you do 6 extra weeks of classes a year.

I'm one of the lucky ones that never had camps. My MS- never. My HS- yes, but only done by the Korean teachers. This winter will be my first time doing camp but it's only 2 hrs/day for a week with kids that actually enjoy English class. Lucky indeed.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 01:14:16 pm »
Unless my EPIK contract is different, during the semester you are limited to 22 hours/ week, but during vacations it's actually 20 hours/week max. 

For all of you doing over 20 hours per week, you have the right to get paid for that.  If your co-teacher is forcing it on you because she wants a longer vacation, good for her, you should still get paid.  Co-teachers who work these camps often get paid, and I don't think it would be unreasonable for her to take a pay cut for you to get what's owed to you, since I assume her efforts to the cause are limited to having a drink of coffee and some online shopping while you are in the next room slaving away. 

She would basically be given three options, all of which are beneficial to you.

1.  Shorten the camp to one week, 4 classes a day.
2.  Retain the schedule, you get 400k.
3.  Make the camp two weeks as was planned, and you don't almost die from exhaustion. 

To each their own if you are willing to make sacrifices to have better relations with your school, but to me, this would be a bridge (waaaaaaay) too far on the compromise landscape. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 01:31:02 pm »

are you sure about this? who gave you the information that 1) it's legal? and 2) you don't get overtime? i'd contact the coordinator to make you you aren't being mugged off

well i will say that we did call the MOE to clarify about something else, and then they told us we had to make up the previously missed 40hrs of summer camp missed. i don't mind bringing it up to my teachers again, they aren't purposefully trying to swindle me or whatever. they're pretty chill and let me do whatever i want. we just planned to do a normal 4 class camp, feed them in the middle, and then send them home. we were both confused if anything so i guess, no i'm not sure. but i did get the info from the MOE. maybe the moe thought we would do 4 weeks of camp instead of 2--like what we wanna do.
They can make you make it up, but they can't make you do it all in one week without paying you massive overtime. I'm gonna guess that they meant that you would have to spend an additional week somewhere doing the camp (assuming that that doesn't cut into your guaranteed 10 week days of winter vacation).

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 01:39:24 pm »

well i will say that we did call the MOE to clarify about something else, and then they told us we had to make up the previously missed 40hrs of summer camp missed. i don't mind bringing it up to my teachers again, they aren't purposefully trying to swindle me or whatever. they're pretty chill and let me do whatever i want. we just planned to do a normal 4 class camp, feed them in the middle, and then send them home. we were both confused if anything so i guess, no i'm not sure. but i did get the info from the MOE. maybe the moe thought we would do 4 weeks of camp instead of 2--like what we wanna do.
They can make you make it up, but they can't make you do it all in one week without paying you massive overtime. I'm gonna guess that they meant that you would have to spend an additional week somewhere doing the camp (assuming that that doesn't cut into your guaranteed 10 week days of winter vacation).

whoops im sorry, i'm dumb. i completely forgot that we CHOSE to do it like that and orignally we were set to do 4 weeks of camp during the winter.

what i meant to say was, the MOE just said that we had to make up the missed summer camp so we're going ot be doing 4 weeks of camp with the normal time of 20hrs/week.

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 01:42:26 pm »
lol to each their own ;)

This is wrong on every imaginable level. But kudos to you for being upbeat about it.
[/quote]

i'm sorry, what i forgot about was, our original 4 weeks of camp is what the moe told us we had to do, what we are choosing to do is squeezing it into 2 weeks.

i'm stewpod.

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 07:41:24 pm »
i teach precisely zero weeks of camp in china, no vacation deskwarming either so i can enjoy my full winter vacation, just like i did my summer.

fyi your co-t's get paid roughly 400k per week for doing the camps, think about that while you're busting your ass and your co-t is doing nothing but complaining about being so '힘들어' because she has had to make herself coffee for the 5th time that morning.

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 08:04:12 am »
i teach precisely zero weeks of camp in china, no vacation deskwarming either so i can enjoy my full winter vacation, just like i did my summer.

fyi your co-t's get paid roughly 400k per week for doing the camps, think about that while you're busting your ass and your co-t is doing nothing but complaining about being so '힘들어' because she has had to make herself coffee for the 5th time that morning.

Lol I couldn't believe it when I found that out (I saw the paperwork - yep, 400K).  That was a real kick in the teeth when I was doing a two week camp, 8:30 to 12:30 while my CT was either sitting in the office or not even in school.  But that was in my first year when I was new so I didn't say anything.  If it happened now I'd definitely speak my mind  :laugh:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 08:44:19 am »
It was 2 weeks in Summer.  More like 8 days.  4 days at one school, and 4 at my main school. 

I have been exempt from Winter camp this year.  Apparently, hardly anyone has signed up for them and also, the camp the PoE wanted me to do started Jan 31 and ran till Dec 4, but I have lessons until Dec. 4 so.... yea 

I don't find camps all that bad or at least the ones I had this year.  8:30 to 12:30 and we were done.  I was allowed to go home after.  No desk warming. 

I can see how OP is upset that they have to do a plethora of camps while others don't (and get paid the same), but like I said, hardly any kids signed up so it's not the NET's fault.

Your PoE wanted you to do camp for almost a year?! :O

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 09:16:17 am »
the camp the PoE wanted me to do started Jan 31 and ran till Dec 4
Well, I guess SeoulAlone wins this thread.

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 09:43:27 am »
the camp the PoE wanted me to do started Jan 31 and ran till Dec 4
Well, I guess SeoulAlone wins this thread.

Oops!  ha ha ha ha ha  Hell!  There are days that it feels like a year long Summer/Winter Camp! 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2018, 09:52:38 am »
My camps are usually 1 week long.
In my first year, all the schools in the city, sent a certain amount of students to a city wide run camp - all the teachers in the city had to be there. It was 3 or 4 days, and 2 or 3 nights. Went from 9am - 11pm during that time, and we got overtime pay for it; this was only for summer.
Winter camp that year was 1 week each, at 2/3 of my schools. 1 of those 2 camps was with another teacher, so we planned together and done half of it each.

Nowadays, at my current schools, it is 5 days, 4 periods a day. Both in the summer and winter. My other 2 schools don't do camp.
If the head teacher / VP is in charge, we usually finish 30 mins early each day though, as he wants the students to leave before the other staff who are here eat lunch together. :p There is usually only about 4 staff members here at school (not including me) during the breaks too.

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 11:59:23 am »
Wasn't 100% sure how to answer this poll, because it didn't say if it was "per year" or "per semester" or what... so I answered based on "per year". I answered 3+ weeks. I typically do one week of camp in the winter, two weeks of camp in the summer, and then a random "weekend camp" at some point throughout the year... and that schedule changes each year. Sometimes I also agree to do an outside camp at another school, but I'm paid overtime for that, and I'm not required to do it.

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 12:26:21 pm »
No sure how to answer this but I got forced into doing 3 camps because my co teachers. I was only told to do one by my main school and then the other two made the dates during my school time and I couldn't refuse. So now I'm teaching 3 camps and it about 13 days in total. One of my camps is 9 days.

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 12:29:09 pm »
No sure how to answer this but I got forced into doing 3 camps because my co teachers. I was only told to do one by my main school and then the other two made the dates during my school time and I couldn't refuse. So now I'm teaching 3 camps and it about 13 days in total. One of my camps is 9 days.

F for respects....

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 12:49:04 pm »
Is it like this at everyone else's schools?...

The run up to camp is like they're planning a military operation.  About a million pieces of paper get printed and signed and I hear the word "camp" thrown around between my CT and the head of the department non stop for about two weeks.  The kids who are supposed to come to the camp are in and out of the office like headless chickens being summoned back and forth which never seems to end.

Then when the camp actually starts...it's a joke.  Three quarters of the kids don't come, everyone's late, CT just says "play games" and bargains for us to just "finish early" (why are you asking me; you're in charge!).

What a shite way to end an exhausting semester twice a year. 

• carrotjuce
  • Waygookin

• November 17, 2011, 12:00:44 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 12:54:57 pm »
three weeks- consider yourself lucky