Read 2415 times

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
How much camp do you usually do? (EPIK teachers only)
« on: November 30, 2018, 02:42:52 pm »
Camp is one of the reason I tell HR teachers who tell me how much free time I have to kindly f*ck off.

3 weeks of camp every damn holiday period and other NETs are getting none. I'm not holding anything against them, they got lucky, but it's seriously damn unfair that you get paid the same amount of money, being on the same contract as the next person, yet you do 6 extra weeks of classes a year.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
Re: How much camp do you usually do? (EPIK teachers only)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 02:53:09 pm »
Previous camps were one week each, although a teacher I know has done a 3-day one. My current camps are 3 weeks in the winter, 2 in the summer.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 02:58:28 pm »
Two weeks in the summer and two weeks in winter.

A three week camp is ludicrous in my opinion.

• alanO
  • Adventurer

• March 07, 2018, 03:57:28 pm
    • Pohang
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 10:02:58 pm »
I have none like you say, during this period I don't desk warm (or if I do it's minimal too), so I feel extremely lucky.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 10:48:55 pm »
Am i the only one who kinda likes these camps? Heh heh.i guess in my opinion, it beats deskwarming and while it can be pretty tiring, it can be pretty fun. ^^ of course i am lucky in that most of the students who sign up want to be there and are super cooperative and eager to do whatever i throw at them.

2 weeks winter, 2 weeks summer. Or well this year, 0 weeks summer, 2 weeks winter but need to achieve 80 hrs...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:50:32 pm by orange6ur1 »

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 11:00:46 pm »

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 08:09:08 am »
That's pretty rough, I just have one week at my school. City hall has a separate camp which isn't well run but if you do it you get extra money though. So one to two weeks for me.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 08:39:23 am »
It was 2 weeks in Summer.  More like 8 days.  4 days at one school, and 4 at my main school. 

I have been exempt from Winter camp this year.  Apparently, hardly anyone has signed up for them and also, the camp the PoE wanted me to do started Jan 31 and ran till Dec 4, but I have lessons until Dec. 4 so.... yea 

I don't find camps all that bad or at least the ones I had this year.  8:30 to 12:30 and we were done.  I was allowed to go home after.  No desk warming. 

I can see how OP is upset that they have to do a plethora of camps while others don't (and get paid the same), but like I said, hardly any kids signed up so it's not the NET's fault. 

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:18 am »
2 weeks winter, 2 weeks summer. I'm so lucky this year because my winter camp is cancelled due to my pregnancy. Yay! I would have been like 8 months pregnant during that one. Shew.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 08:56:30 am »
Two week winter camp coming up. Three hours a day. Joy.

I've spent so much money on camps in the (nearly) three years I've been here. Probably about 1 million in total. But I'm getting married 2 days before winter camp starts, so splurging isn't an option this time.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 09:47:39 am »
I've got one week...8 classes per day for five days...absurd! Used to have two weeks, but now it's combined.
I've given my honest opinion about it, but my co-teacher wants to have a longer winter vacation while I must come to school. *Scoff*  Just gonna fake it till I make it.
pretty sure this is illegal, by the way. almost certain you can't combine 2 weeks into 1 week of camp. if you really don't want to, just contact your coordinator

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 09:59:02 am »
If you're on a standard EPIK contract, 8 classes for 5 days is almost double your contracted hours. It's got 18 that would need to be overtime. Definitely contact your coordinator.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 10:00:00 am »
I've got one week...8 classes per day for five days...absurd! Used to have two weeks, but now it's combined.
I've given my honest opinion about it, but my co-teacher wants to have a longer winter vacation while I must come to school. *Scoff*  Just gonna fake it till I make it.
pretty sure this is illegal, by the way. almost certain you can't combine 2 weeks into 1 week of camp. if you really don't want to, just contact your coordinator

Yeah that's some serious overtime.  20K per class isn't it?  Rolling in it!!

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 10:22:42 am »
sounds like bollocks to me

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 10:22:57 am »
In my school camp translates to "free 2 weeks of daycare" to the parents. It feels a big waste of 2 weeks which wouldn't bother me despite the fact its in the vacation time. I'd much prefer desk warming than English 'daycare' Camp.

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 10:27:59 am »
Well, I spoke too soon!  Just received a message from my PoE asking me to do a camp Jan. 14th ~ 17th  I do have the option to say "no" (I saw that they already have 4 NETs for this camp and only 50(ish) students which always dwindles down to maybe 30 students showing-up) but my work ethic won't allow me too.  Dang it!!!   :cry: DANG!!! 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 10:38:03 am »
Well, I spoke too soon!  Just received a message from my PoE asking me to do a camp Jan. 14th ~ 17th  I do have the option to say "no" (I saw that they already have 4 NETs for this camp and only 50(ish) students which always dwindles down to maybe 30 students showing-up) but my work ethic won't allow me too.  Dang it!!!   :cry: DANG!!!

Maybe if you hold off giving your reply for long enough, they'll have found all the teachers they need. This way you end up looking good for offering, but still end up with no camp. Win-win!  :smiley:

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 10:43:29 am »
My co-teacher said that many schools are implementing combined camps because fewer students show up during the second week of them.  Thanx for your advice, pal.

Have you asked her about the overttime pay?  360,000 won I think  8)

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 10:56:42 am »
So far the two camps I've done have only been 4 days long (the first time a 4 hour class, the second a 2 hour class). I'm not taking it for granted when some people here are getting more than a week's worth!
The World Ends With You

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 11:26:58 am »
1st year -- 4 weeks each winter and summer. 2 weeks was split at one school and the other 2 weeks at the second school. These two schools had a hard time sharing the NET when it came to camps. If one school got two weeks of camp, the other demanded they get equal amount of time. It was a mess. (Before anyone asks: I did get my vacation. It was after both camp periods were finished. I really had to fight for it and the MOE got involved).

2nd year -- Same schools. 3 weeks each winter and summer. 2 weeks main school and 1 week at second school. Still a freaking mess.

3rd year -- Transferred to new schools, because I didn't want to deal with above bs. No summer camp due to construction at both schools. 1 week of winter camp at my second school. No camps at my main school the whole year due to construction.

Love my new schools!