Read 8391 times

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
Re: Age difference in relationships
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2019, 12:34:15 pm »
Oh wow, just curious, which universities offer these courses? :o
Why? Planning on auditing a few courses?  :wink:

But yeah, it's becoming quite the thing, apparently. Unis now give *mandatory* dating classes.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/11/south-korea-university-mandatory-dating-class.html
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dongguk-university-course-marriage-love-dating-mandatory-1.4532780

The article lists Dongguk University in Seoul and Kyung Hee University as ones where this is the case and goes on to say many others will be following suit(ors).
It's not a 'dating' class, it's a Gender Studies class under the wing of social science, or humanities, or something along those lines. And "dating" is part of some assignments.

« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2019, 02:06:32 pm »

But yeah, it's becoming quite the thing, apparently. Unis now give *mandatory* dating classes.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/11/south-korea-university-mandatory-dating-class.html
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dongguk-university-course-marriage-love-dating-mandatory-1.4532780

The article lists Dongguk University in Seoul and Kyung Hee University as ones where this is the case and goes on to say many others will be following suit(ors).
It's not a 'dating' class, it's a Gender Studies class under the wing of social science, or humanities, or something along those lines. And "dating" is part of some assignments.

That's how they justify it from an educational standpoint so that they can include it as a mandatory part of the curriculum, but the purpose of those classes is to get the younger generations more comfortable with dating so that they'll hopefully form relationships that will lead to marriage. It's an attempt to improve the birthrate.

If they can do this by improving gender relations and making each gender understand and respect each other more, it's all good, but the classes are still aimed at improving dating relations. They are literally trying to teach students how to date and form long-term relationships; therefore, they are dating classes.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:15:06 pm by Chinguetti »

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2019, 02:24:20 pm »

That's how they justify it from an educational standpoint so that they can include it as a mandatory part of the curriculum, but the purpose of those classes is to get the younger generations more comfortable with dating so that they'll hopefully form relationships that will lead to marriage. It's an attempt to improve the birthrate.

If they can do this by improving gender relations and making each gender understand and respect each other more, it's all good, but the classes are still aimed at improving dating relations. They are literally trying to teach students how to date and form long-term relationships; therefore, they are dating classes.

Yep. My Middle Schoolers told me they literally have a class about getting a boyfriend/girlfriend.

BUT no sex ed... logical.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2019, 05:36:50 pm »
    Gender studies, dating lessons, sex ed, whatever. I think it's a great idea.
     In a country where the vast majority of young people are brought up by gender segregated schools ( I do actually mean 'by' and not 'in'), having classes that help reintegrate the sexes in universities is something that should have been implemented long ago.
   Anybody who has ever worked in a Korean uni can tell you how absolutely awkward freshman classes are, and how there is almost no interaction at all between males and females. Anything that can help erase this divide is doing everybody a huge favour.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2019, 06:47:42 pm »
In a country where the vast majority of young people are brought up by gender segregated schools ( I do actually mean 'by' and not 'in'), having classes that help reintegrate the sexes in universities is something that should have been implemented long ago.
I believe you're wrong for the current generation schooled since the late-90's. Most have been schooled in co-ed schools. At least in my town most school are co-ed. You can count the segregated school on one hand. And those are the ones that were there before the 90's. I believe all new public schools opened since the 90's are co-ed. And especially in small towns, with the lack of students, schools are closed and students are put into already existing schools are are co-ed.

Interesting thing, is that students at segregated schools outperform their peers at co-ed schools by a significant margin in virtually all subjects.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:55:23 pm by pkjh »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2019, 07:06:28 pm »
I believe you're wrong for the current generation schooled since the late-90's. Most have been schooled in co-ed schools. At least in my town most school are co-ed. You can count the segregated school on one hand. And those are the ones that were there before the 90's. I believe all new public schools opened since the 90's are co-ed. And especially in small towns, with the lack of students, schools are closed and students are put into already existing schools are are co-ed.

Interesting thing, is that students at segregated schools outperform their peers at co-ed schools by a significant margin in virtually all subjects.
Maybe it's regional,  as all the middleschools and highschools that I've worked at here in Gyeongsangbukdo are either boys only or girls only. The vast majority of them are, in this province.
From a quick search online, it's apparent thatmore than 50% of middle schools in Korea are gender segregated. I imagine that the percentage of highschools would be similar.

Out of curiosity what province are you based?

Oh, and I totally believe you in that segregated schools result in better education. Far fewer distractions, better tailored materials etc etc! Still, it does make for awkward social environments when they graduate. :sad:

Here's a Korean Times article that talks about the segregated vs coed issue specifically in Daegu (which is somewhat close to where I'm based). They agree with you too.

« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2019, 03:16:35 am »
I am in my early 40's, and I would not mind going out with women who are younger than me.
The reason why these women think it's disgusting is because these women are narrow in their
minds, and judgmental. They don't realize that men who are older are still able to reproduce
but for older women that's a different story. (I don't encourage relationships just for reproduction).

In South Korea, 19 is legal adult age. In Canada where I am the legal age is 18. So if I want to go
out with a woman 10 or 15 years my junior, it is my choice. If other women don't like it then I
would tell them to go to hell. I prefer women who are younger, I don't want a woman who is the
same age as me or older.

What goes on between two consenting adults is legal. Therefore, if I am in my early 40's and I have
an affair with a women in her 20's, then it's nobody's business.

• Nickkorean
  • Adventurer

• November 27, 2011, 06:44:56 pm
    • Changwon
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2019, 07:39:02 am »
My korean girlfriend is 13 years older than me and its been met with some shocked reactions by people. I really don't see why it's such an issue!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2019, 07:49:21 am »
My co-worker at my old job had an affair with me. She's 11 years older. Don't see much of a problem as we were both consenting adults. :angel:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2019, 08:40:16 am »
My co-worker at my old job had an affair with me. She's 11 years older. Don't see much of a problem as we were both consenting adults. :angel:

Be a little bit careful now that anyone reading here knows your real name and what you look like!

• T_Rex
  • Adventurer

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2019, 08:43:28 am »
A 15 year age difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd_oQ5ocBdM

They ended up getting divorced.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2019, 09:05:41 am »
I am in my early 40's, and I would not mind going out with women who are younger than me.
The reason why these women think it's disgusting is because these women are narrow in their
minds, and judgmental. They don't realize that men who are older are still able to reproduce
but for older women that's a different story. (I don't encourage relationships just for reproduction).

In South Korea, 19 is legal adult age. In Canada where I am the legal age is 18. So if I want to go
out with a woman 10 or 15 years my junior, it is my choice. If other women don't like it then I
would tell them to go to hell. I prefer women who are younger, I don't want a woman who is the
same age as me or older.

What goes on between two consenting adults is legal. Therefore, if I am in my early 40's and I have
an affair with a women in her 20's, then it's nobody's business.

Who are "these women" you talk about?

Honestly, so sick of men assuming that women are all jealous of anyone younger than them and we are just DESPERATE to reproduce with all these wrinkly, old ball sacks of men.

Find me some women on this post that have wrote anything of the sort. I'll find you some men who've wrote the same.

Have your opinion but please don't speak for us women when you clearly see us all as two dimensional stereotypes and haven't got a clue mate.

What an absolute cliche you are.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:24:02 am by debbiem89 »

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2019, 09:25:46 am »
ForeverParadise: I prefer women who are younger, I don't want a woman who is the
same age as me or older.

Yeah, I think we all know why Thailand is your holiday destination of choice.  Now are you are able to meet and date these younger women in Canada?  I don't think you've earned the right to be contemptuous of jealous women giving you the stink eye for dating these younger women when it actually hasn't happened.  If you end up dating another adult several years your junior and then get these comments from other women feel free to go off and tell them to "go to hell."  But, in the meantime why not hold off on lumping women into these "jealous of your fertility" group until it actually happens?  I'm guessing a 40 year old dating a 25-30 year old will not elicit much reaction. 

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2019, 09:49:03 am »
A 15 year age difference:

Are you sure it's not 30? hahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:16 am »
all these wrinkly, old ball sacs of men.

This one really hurts. My ball sack has been through a lot, don't need you to demean and insult it.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2019, 10:07:58 am »

Honestly, so sick of men assuming that women are all jealous of anyone younger than them and we are just DESPERATE to reproduce with all these wrinkly, old ball sacs of men.

Right? Most women (and men) who have legit problems with large age gaps between men and women aren't jealous. This isn't some weird episode of South Park, lol. They're disgusted and disturbed (doesn't really matter if that's right or wrong, just speaking about how they feel about it).

But yeah, keep telling yourself that jealousy and unrequited lust for old men are the driving forces behind their disapproval.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:12:54 am by Chinguetti »

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2019, 10:18:48 am »
all these wrinkly, old ball sacks of men.

This one really hurts. My ball sack has been through a lot, don't need you to demean and insult it.

Baha not speaking about the ballsacks themselves....they're just hanging around minding their own biz.

It's the men who are the wrinkly old ball sacks themselves that get my disapproval ;)

(also kicking myself that I typed quickly and missed the "k" off "sack" d'oh)

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2019, 11:17:59 am »

Be a little bit careful now that anyone reading here knows your real name and what you look like!

This was before I even came to Korea, plus I was single at the time. Shouldn't really affect me in any way lol

To illustrate my main point, if they're both of legal age, there's nothing wrong. It might be disgusting in some cases yes, but we can't really have a say in it if both parties are legally consenting.
The World Ends With You

• Colburnnn
  • Adventurer

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2019, 11:18:11 am »

Honestly, so sick of men assuming that women are all jealous of anyone younger than them and we are just DESPERATE to reproduce with all these wrinkly, old ball sacs of men.

Right? Most women (and men) who have legit problems with large age gaps between men and women aren't jealous. This isn't some weird episode of South Park, lol. They're disgusted and disturbed (doesn't really matter if that's right or wrong, just speaking about how they feel about it).

But yeah, keep telling yourself that jealousy and unrequited lust for old men are the driving forces behind their disapproval.

What is the reason it is disgusting though? Yeah its not jealousy, but then what is it? And just so we are clear I'm not for or against it.

Is it also disgusting for the 25 year old girl to be ****** a 40 year old man? Or only the 40 year old man ****** the 25 year old girl.

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2019, 12:18:34 pm »

This was before I even came to Korea, plus I was single at the time. Shouldn't really affect me in any way lol

To illustrate my main point, if they're both of legal age, there's nothing wrong. It might be disgusting in some cases yes, but we can't really have a say in it if both parties are legally consenting.

Hahaha sorry, I thought you meant a previous school in Korea  :laugh: :laugh: