Read 1892 times

• gj148
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2017, 01:44:30 pm
Exploding Kittens (Game) Themed Speaking Game
« on: November 21, 2018, 03:21:53 pm »
Made a speaking game with the cats from the Exploding Kittens game. I tried to tone it down by not necessarily making the point of the game to explode the kittens but rather students need to avoid the "cat bomb". The cat bomb doesn't make an explosion noise~ but rather cat noises for this reason.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B2YRADPAa3M_wv4QBlPaf5__hVAQt5NV

Re: Exploding Kittens (Game) Themed Speaking Game
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 10:50:11 am »
Haha, I had never heard of that game.  Thanks for making this!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 02:24:46 pm »
Made a speaking game with the cats from the Exploding Kittens game. I tried to tone it down by not necessarily making the point of the game to explode the kittens but rather students need to avoid the "cat bomb". The cat bomb doesn't make an explosion noise~ but rather cat noises for this reason.

How do you use this game? I took a look at the PPT but don't really get it.

• gj148
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 02:24:48 pm »

Assign every team a cat. Have them take turns choosing one of the 5 boxes. To move the teams cat to the box they have chosen simply click on the selected color square for that cat. For example if team 1 (taco cat) reads the sentence in the red text box click on the red square under taco cat to move that cat behind the red text box. Once every team has moved their cat to their desired box, send the cat bomb. To do this, click on the exploding kittens logo in the middle of the slide. The cat bombs will go to some of the boxes. If their cat is in the same box as one of the cat bombs, they get zero points. If their cat is in a box where there is no cat bomb then they get 1 point. It's kind of like a telepathy game where the objective is to avoid going to a box with a cat bomb. Hope this helps!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 07:36:30 pm »
     I used it today for part of a one off lesson (kids were supposed to be at an English Town field trip thingy, but 4 of them didn't get permission, so I had a surprise class. Luckily I has 20 minutes warning (:rolleyes:) and so was able to quickly steal this!
    It's best used as a kind of "choose the odd ones out" kind of thing, I think.
    For example, in the text field, 4 of the boxes would have correct spelling, while the fifth box had an error. The error gets kaboomed.

Some other variants:
   - Which ones aren't nouns
   - Which ones aren't past tense.
   - Which ones aren't adjectives.
   - Which ones aren't adverbs
   - Which ones aren't verbs.
   - Which ones aren't proper capitalization.
   - Which ones aren't English speaking countries.

etc.

BTW, the game is awesome gj148. Kids loved it!
   I wasn't keen on the red/brown background, so replaced it with a more neutral clouds/sky theme, and I messed around with fonts and stuff, but the game idea and mechanics were gold. Thanks!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:40:09 pm by kyndo »

• gj148
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:18:35 am »
     I used it today for part of a one off lesson (kids were supposed to be at an English Town field trip thingy, but 4 of them didn't get permission, so I had a surprise class. Luckily I has 20 minutes warning (:rolleyes:) and so was able to quickly steal this!
    It's best used as a kind of "choose the odd ones out" kind of thing, I think.
    For example, in the text field, 4 of the boxes would have correct spelling, while the fifth box had an error. The error gets kaboomed.

Some other variants:
   - Which ones aren't nouns
   - Which ones aren't past tense.
   - Which ones aren't adjectives.
   - Which ones aren't adverbs
   - Which ones aren't verbs.
   - Which ones aren't proper capitalization.
   - Which ones aren't English speaking countries.

etc.

BTW, the game is awesome gj148. Kids loved it!
   I wasn't keen on the red/brown background, so replaced it with a more neutral clouds/sky theme, and I messed around with fonts and stuff, but the game idea and mechanics were gold. Thanks!  :smiley:

This is such a great idea! I never thought to use it like a "odd one out" kind of game but I love it. I'll have to give it a try.

• Kw5843
  • Newgookin

• September 05, 2016, 11:31:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 12:15:44 pm »
I filled in each box with conversations from the student's textbook. THE STUDENTS LOVED THIS GAME! It worked well with my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-year middle school students. You're a champ, thank you so much!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 12:49:09 pm »
I never comment here but I just had to say THIS IS MAGNIFICENT. THANK YOU.

• turtle678
  • Newgookin

• November 29, 2018, 01:47:19 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 01:56:08 pm »
I really like this game. I use the ninja version of this game a lot and the kids absolutely love it.
It would be nice to change it up with the theme but I bet my co-teacher would have a problem with it.
When I played the cowboy turn around game with the class she took me aside and said she didn't like it because cowboys are associated with smoking and guns  :rolleyes: So now we just call it the turn around game.
I can only imagine how she will react to me playing a game called "exploding kittens" sighhhh.
Mind you this is 5th grade, not 1st or 2nd, they are well aware of these things and brag about how on the weekend they play violent video games/movies/etc , I don't really see how these games will give any negative impact on the kids?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:58:37 pm by turtle678 »

• gj148
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 12:02:24 pm »
I really like this game. I use the ninja version of this game a lot and the kids absolutely love it.
It would be nice to change it up with the theme but I bet my co-teacher would have a problem with it.
When I played the cowboy turn around game with the class she took me aside and said she didn't like it because cowboys are associated with smoking and guns  :rolleyes: So now we just call it the turn around game.
I can only imagine how she will react to me playing a game called "exploding kittens" sighhhh.
Mind you this is 5th grade, not 1st or 2nd, they are well aware of these things and brag about how on the weekend they play violent video games/movies/etc , I don't really see how these games will give any negative impact on the kids?

When I was making this game I actually thought about the same thing: whether or not my coteacher would deem this too violent or not. I personally didn't find it to be too violent since there was no blood, weapons, or anything of that fashion. I tried it out with 6th grade and she ended up really liking it. She thought it was cute! haha. With that being said, I also refrained from referring to the cat bomb as something that would blow up the kittens, but rather it was more like a surprise cat attack. You could probably change the name of the game and maybe replace the grenade cat to make it more appealing to your ct? Although if she wasn't okay with the idea of cowboys, maybe she simply wouldn't like the idea of a surprise cat attack either.