Read 2036 times

Re: SHOCK as 8.4million Britons reveal they shower just once a week
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2018, 02:04:11 pm »
I know this thread is slightly tongue in cheek (I hope) but I'm a bit worried how it's gone from one dubious "study" to Van Islander, a non Brit, claiming that British people take "relatively few showers" due to our culture.

What's the next thread going to be?  "Culture: Americans, if you could talk a bit louder in public places that would be great".

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2018, 02:06:15 pm »
I know this thread is slightly tongue in cheek (I hope) but I'm a bit worried how it's gone from one dubious "study" to Van Islander, a non Brit, claiming that British people take "relatively few showers" due to our culture.

What's the next thread going to be?  "Culture: Americans, if you could talk a bit louder in public places that would be great".

And let's not get started on obesity. Though we're rapidly catching up.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2018, 02:08:54 pm »

Canadians................

[img width600]https://gillyandrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Are-you-******-sorry-600x600.png[/img]

EDIT: Jesus Christ, waygook censors the image name. hahaha See the stars?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:10:44 pm by CO2 »
The joys of fauxtherhood

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2018, 02:45:19 pm »

SHOCK as 8.4million Britons reveal they shower just once a week

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/847608/How-often-should-you-shower-daily-revealed

OK, now I understand Brexit.  It is simply not possible to understand things
like comparative advantage and economies of scale if you are struggling with
basics like simple hygiene.

How many came from other countries in recent years?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2018, 11:50:52 pm »
... Van Islander, a non Brit, claiming that British people take "relatively few showers" due to our culture.
Man. If there is a PRACTICAL reason for the news, let us all know. When I started traveling internationally at age 32 I began to realize that showering EVERY DAY wasn't the international standard. I first chalked it up to practical economic and infrastructural reasons.

I thought I was helping Brits out by sayibg it is cultural. I doubt if money or plumbing restrictions explains how anyobe goes three days without a shower, check that... nearly a week?

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2018, 04:54:25 am »
... Van Islander, a non Brit, claiming that British people take "relatively few showers" due to our culture.
Man. If there is a PRACTICAL reason for the news, let us all know. When I started traveling internationally at age 32 I began to realize that showering EVERY DAY wasn't the international standard. I first chalked it up to practical economic and infrastructural reasons.

I thought I was helping Brits out by sayibg it is cultural. I doubt if money or plumbing restrictions explains how anyobe goes three days without a shower, check that... nearly a week?

It is cultural. Showers were traditionally an American thing, we didn't have one in my house when I was a kid. For the third or fourth time, the results do not mention how often the people surveyed took baths. 14% of the 2000 people surveyed have a shower once a week but they may take a bath on the other days, so it is not necessarily an indication that British people don't wash often enough.

• kengreen
  • Expert Waygook

• July 03, 2013, 11:30:02 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2018, 08:39:32 am »
I'm not the least bit surprised by this report.

You should have smelt my English grandfather back in the day.

Blimey!

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2018, 09:21:12 am »

:laugh:  YUP! 

I find this funny and true.  I've yet to be shooshed since I arrived here in Korea, but back in the States, I've been asked to "keep it down" on many occasions. 

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2018, 09:30:50 am »
genuine question: do any brits here not shower every day, or know anyone that doesn't? i imagine the majority of these 8.4m are chavs (or, normal people who instead take baths instead of showers)

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2018, 09:35:31 am »
genuine question: do any brits here not shower every day, or know anyone that doesn't? i imagine the majority of these 8.4m are chavs (or, normal people who instead take baths instead of showers)

280 people. 14% of 2000. I have a bath about twice a week and shower the rest of the time
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:39:04 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 10:08:28 am »

Yeah this is why this thread has gotten me really riled up. 

I have at least two showers a day and I've never met anyone (family or friends) who has confessed to not showering (or bathing) daily.

That Brits as a whole don't care about their personal hygeine, and that it's cultural, is absolute bollocks.

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 10:26:45 am »

I have at least two showers a day and I've never met anyone (family or friends) who has confessed to not showering (or bathing) daily.

That Brits as a whole don't care about their personal hygeine, and that it's cultural, is absolute bollocks.

at least two? now it just seems like you're overcompensating. at least one? fine. at least two? damn boy what are you doing that you get so dirty all the time? why are you taking two showers on a sunday?

edit: you only need one shower on the lord's day, unless you're going to the gym 7 days a week and for some reason you're showering both before and after going to the gym.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 10:31:19 am »
I take two showers a day in summer because I become a disgusting slime monster by the end of the day, and always need a shower in the morning to wake myself up for school (so just one shower a day in the winter).

I do remember a few other students at school not having great personal hygiene, but they came from broken families / had problems at home so it's hardly fair to blame them for that (as children, anyway).

It's been quite interesting to be on the receiving end of blatant generalizations though  ;D
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2018, 10:31:28 am »

I don't think the article is actually saying that Brits don't clean themselves, but it certainly implies that with the clickbait-y title (especially the bit about 'SHOCK'), and that seems to be the main takeaway that people are getting from it even though the article does explain that those who don't shower as often prefer to bathe.

I'm actually more disappointed in the comments section. It's like everyone just decided to pass on this one.  :wink:

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2018, 10:36:17 am »
Lol one in the morning and one in the evening!  Standard!  :P

I don't think the article is actually saying that Brits don't clean themselves, but it certainly implies that with the clickbait-y title (especially the bit about 'SHOCK'), and that seems to be the main takeaway that people are getting from it even though the article does explain that those who don't shower as often prefer to bathe.

I'm actually more disappointed in the comments section. It's like everyone just decided to pass on this one.  :wink:

Yeah totally! 

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2018, 10:39:58 am »

the express has been getting worse and worse. it's basically just Hello Magazine at this point

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2018, 01:31:13 pm »
Quote from: eggieguffer
I imagine the teeth are also a class/wealth thing. I'm guessing there are also plenty of Americans at the bottom of the socio-economic scale who have crooked/missing teeth (I'm thinking Deliverance). You don't have free dental care do you? It's all but dried up in the UK.
I'm Canadian and dental care is cheap.

I've traveled nine of the United States, and haven't seen any really crooked teeth. But I haven't been to the South.

Socioeconomic status doesn't explain the British tourists nor the many Japanese I've encountered.

I suspect culture is more at play. Maybe in England and Japan crooked teeth isn't perceived as horrifying.

After all, the relatively few showers the Brits take isn't in itself metely a socioeconomic issue, is it? It's cultural.

Note: Now I understand the UK version of The Apprentice. The contestants get a morning phone call waking them up: meet downstairs in 20 minutes to go to blah blah... I have thought: No way they could all shower and get ready in 20 minutes! I thought it was a fake announcement, that they had more time. Now I think, maybe not!

So many anti-Southern messages on here today. News flash.. there are uneducated, poor people everywhere in every country. The ratio of crooked teeth doesn't rocket sky high once you dip lower than Ohio.

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2018, 01:52:43 pm »
Whether its people in the South, hipster anti-vaxxers, people in the inner city, Asians who love rhino horn and believe in fandeath, the Middle East, or Latin America, every group has their dumb and superstitious members.

Or as Earthquake put it-
"I don't know how anyone can be racist, we all got dumbass kids."