Read 10286 times

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: US Politics Megathread
« Reply #360 on: April 05, 2019, 08:31:48 pm »
Obama dronestriked families.

Not that it really matters, but while Mr.Obama set in motion 186 done strikes, Mr. Trump has already surpassed that number with 238 (in the same theatres, more or less).

The difference is, that while Mr.Obama required that all civilian casualties be reported, Mr.Trump cancelled that policy very early in his incumbency, meaning that stats related to civilian collateral damage do not make it to the press.

Fair point, Trump isn't Mr. Humanity with the drones either, and he certainly has no plans to close Gitmo.

Regardless, Obama did his fair share of crap as well. And while I like Obama, I'm not going to pretend he's some mystic saint who never played dirty when he had to.
He also relaxed the rules of engagement, which has resulted in many more civilian deaths, one-third more at one point.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #361 on: April 06, 2019, 10:45:40 am »
What's Trump hiding in his taxes that he said he would release [*cough audit BS *cough] but now won't?

Taking the fight all the way to the Supreme Court. Yeah, nothing to see there.

« Reply #362 on: April 08, 2019, 07:11:35 am »
Donald Trump has claimed he made a snap decision to officially recognise Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, after receiving a “quick history lesson” on the Middle East.

The US president last month broke with decades of US policy and international agreement that had considered the piece of territory seized from Syria in 1967 “occupied”, to instead accept Israel’s claim.

Speaking on Saturday in Las Vegas at the Republican Jewish Coalition, a group backed by GOP mega donor Sheldon Adelson, Mr Trump said he made the decision very quickly.

He said he did so after a discussion with his top advisors on the Middle East, including the US ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, and his own son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

“I said, ‘Fellows, do me a favour. Give me a little history, quick. Want to go fast. I got a lot of things I’m working on: China, North Korea. Give me a quickie,”

“How do you like the idea of me recognising exactly what we’re discussing?”

The president claimed Mr Friedman, an arch supporter of Israel, was shocked, “like a wonderful, beautiful baby”

“I went – Bing! – it was done. We make fast decisions. And we make good decisions.”

The Adelsons gave the Trump’s campaign $30m in 2016, according to the Associated Press. They followed that by contributing $100m to the Republican Party for the 2018 midterm elections.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/trump-golan-heights-israel-syria-sovereignty-snap-decision-las-vegas-sheldon-adelson-a8858461.html

after a quick history lesson from pro-Israelis, he then decides to recognise the sovereignty of  the Golan Heights?  'We make fast decisions and we make good decisions'   :rolleyes:  quick decisions?  now we know why the US is so fukced. 

« Reply #363 on: April 08, 2019, 09:03:33 am »
“Special thanks to Representative Omar of Minnesota. Oh, I forgot. She doesn’t like Israel. I forgot. I’m so sorry.”

what a truly wonderful individual appealing to his stupid base again.  a ratings winner. 

“Understand,” she wrote, “when Jeanine Pirro goes on Fox [and] rallies people to think hijabs are threatening, it leads to this.” She also appealed to people to “talk policy, not personal”

AOC talking sense again.  it's shame trump's base fail to notice that trump's word have consequences.   :rolleyes:

« Reply #364 on: April 09, 2019, 07:01:13 am »
i love the chat from the trump bunch about 'you just need to look past the media circus and at the good things he is doing'...

like this...

Scientists and officials around the US have told the Guardian that the Trump administration has withdrawn funding for a large, successful conservation program – in direct contradiction of instructions from Congress.

Unique in scale and ambition, the program comprises 22 research centers that tackle big-picture issues affecting huge swaths of the US, such as climate change, flooding and species extinction. They are known as Landscape Conservation Cooperatives – or were, because 16 of them are now on indefinite hiatus or have dissolved.

“I just haven’t seen anything like this in my almost 30 years of working with the federal government,” said a scientist at the Fish and Wildlife Service who worked for one of the LCCs and wished to remain anonymous, because federal employees were instructed not to speak with the Guardian for this story. “There is this lack of accountability.”

“Congress approved $12.5m for the existing 22 landscape conservation cooperatives,” said Betty McCollum, chair of the House interior-environment appropriations subcommittee, at a recent hearing with an interior department official. “[But] we are hearing disturbing reports from outside groups and concerned citizens that the LCC program is being altered and may not receive any federal funding.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/08/trump-administration-sabotages-major-conservation-effort-defying-congress

it's as if climate change, animal extinction and flooding aren't really a problem, are they?  and also as if trump is just shooting at Congress. 

« Reply #365 on: April 11, 2019, 08:52:35 am »
the kleptocracy that is the US is in wonderful working order...  william barr has shown he is the perfect choice to try and bury and deflect for the president who chose him. 

Barr’s remarks, which echoed wild claims by Trump that he was wiretapped by Obama, dismayed senior Democrats. Nancy Pelosi, the House speaker, later said Barr had gone “off the rails” and was serving Trump rather than the public.

Under sharp questioning by senators, Barr said he was not alleging that “improper surveillance” had in fact been carried out, but said he was concerned about the actions of senior FBI officials. He declined to give details.

“I believe there is a basis for my concern, but I’m not going to discuss the basis,” Barr said. He said he had an obligation to make sure “government power is not abused”

he is only slightly more articulate than the guy who picked him. 

Eric Holder, Obama's AG for six years said...

When there is a predicate, a legitimate basis, it’s called “investigating” not “spying”.  I am confident that the people at DOJ/FBI conducted themselves in an appropriate way. No evidence to suggest otherwise.

of course they did.  the only people who are saying otherwise are the ones directly involved in this mess, one being the president. 

« Reply #366 on: April 12, 2019, 07:01:03 am »
“I know nothing about WikiLeaks,” “It’s not my thing.”

liddle donnie

nothing about his many tweets about wikileaks...

and also on the campaign trail... 141 times....

:laugh:

« Reply #367 on: April 15, 2019, 07:10:04 am »
another day and another low for trump and the detestable republicans....

“WE WILL NEVER FORGET!”

trump attacking Omar over the 9/11 attacks, is rich coming from someone who hours after the attack boasted that he now had the tallest building in downtown Manhattan.  directed disaster funds he didn't deserve to himself and said he saw people jumping from the Twin Towers over four miles away. 

after Omar fought back...

“No one person – no matter how corrupt, inept, or vicious – can threaten my unwavering love for America,”

then Sanders weighs in...

“I find her comments to be absolutely disgraceful and unbefitting of a member of Congress,” Sanders said, “and I think that it’s a good thing the president is calling her out.”

quite amazing.  but all fitting in with this administration's habit of starting fires to attract attention from other more disgraceful things.   :rolleyes:

no wonder decent Americans are sick of this circus.   

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #368 on: April 15, 2019, 07:55:24 am »
I find her comments to be absolutely disgraceful and unbefitting of a member of Congress,” Sanders said, “and I think that it’s a good thing the president is calling her out.

To clarify (for those of us who aren't American), that's Sarah  Sanders, not Bernie Sanders.

Mrs. Sanders is a Republican campaign manager and political advisory, so it's basically her job to support her party leader however possible. No surprise that she threw her weight behind Mr. Trump.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:57:06 am by kyndo »

« Reply #369 on: April 15, 2019, 08:40:12 am »
I find her comments to be absolutely disgraceful and unbefitting of a member of Congress,” Sanders said, “and I think that it’s a good thing the president is calling her out.

To clarify (for those of us who aren't American), that's Sarah  Sanders, not Bernie Sanders.

Mrs. Sanders is a Republican campaign manager and political advisory, so it's basically her job to support her party leader however possible. No surprise that she threw her weight behind Mr. Trump.

sorry, yes, that was Sarah Sanders, whose main job is to keep up this disgusting charade by siding and backing up whatever trump says.  what a truly horrible job. 

as Bernie Sanders wrote:

Senator Bernie Sanders called attacks on Omar “disgusting and dangerous” and said Omar would not “back down to Trump’s racism and hate, and neither will we”

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #370 on: April 16, 2019, 02:32:47 am »

Her support of his obvious lies was, for a time, a surprise. Now she's jut another of his willing hench(wo)men.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:29:07 am by kyndo »

« Reply #371 on: April 16, 2019, 07:03:56 am »
and it continues...

From Omar's statement on Sunday...

“Since the president’s tweet Friday evening, I have experienced an increase in direct threats on my life – many directly referencing or replying to the president’s video.”

partly due to trump placing the video at the top of his twatter feed...

and then this...

Before Nancy, who has lost all control of Congress and is getting nothing done, decides to defend her leader, Rep. Omar, she should look at the anti-Semitic, anti-Israel and ungrateful U.S. HATE statements Omar has made. She is out of control, except for her control of Nancy!

getting nothing done?   :laugh:  golf anyone during an national emergency?  out of control?  I assume that trump has a mirror.

surely this episode alone is enough for trump to be banned from twatter for Islamophobic comments?

america is truly fukced....

« Reply #372 on: April 17, 2019, 12:19:32 pm »
I'm not saying anything about the disgrace that is Saudi Arabia, trump's disgusting nepotism and hiring his greasy shit of a son-in-law to be middle-east guy.  but for the Senate to vote 54-46 on March 13th to end US military assistance in Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen and then Congress in April voted 247 - 175 also to end assistance, for trump to then veto it, is unfukcingbelievable but unfukcingsurprising.  okay, I lied, I did hint at something.

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #373 on: April 17, 2019, 12:47:45 pm »
Can we just rename this thread "Liberal Love Fest" and then come up with a new thread called "Republicans in Rapture" so we know which one to visit? 

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #374 on: April 17, 2019, 09:02:30 pm »
Can we just rename this thread "Liberal Love Fest" and then come up with a new thread called "Republicans in Rapture" so we know which one to visit? 

How about starting a thread on alliteration?