Read 14066 times

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
US Politics Megathread
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:16:14 am »
"For the past two years, the American left has been haunted by a number: 53. It is the percentage of white women who voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election. In the sectors of the left where the figure and its implications have become a perennial theme, the number is treated both as disappointing and darkly unsurprising, a reflection of the conventional wisdom that white women would rather choose the racism espoused by the Republican party than join in the moral coalition represented by men of color and other women....

"What is wrong with white women? Why do half of them so consistently vote for Republicans, even as the Republican party morphs into a monstrously ugly organization that is increasingly indistinguishable from a hate group? The most likely answer seems to be that white women vote for Republicans for the same reason that white men do: because they are racist."
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/09/white-women-vote-republican-why

The left wants politics to be a matter of white men versus all other demographics.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:30:14 am by CDW »

Re: Half of white women continue to vote Republican. What's wrong with them?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:38:53 am »
"For the past two years, the American left has been haunted by a number: 53. It is the percentage of white women who voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election. In the sectors of the left where the figure and its implications have become a perennial theme, the number is treated both as disappointing and darkly unsurprising, a reflection of the conventional wisdom that white women would rather choose the racism espoused by the Republican party than join in the moral coalition represented by men of color and other women....

"What is wrong with white women? Why do half of them so consistently vote for Republicans, even as the Republican party morphs into a monstrously ugly organization that is increasingly indistinguishable from a hate group? The most likely answer seems to be that white women vote for Republicans for the same reason that white men do: because they are racist."
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/09/white-women-vote-republican-why

The left wants politics to be a matter of white men versus all other demographics.

wow.  just wow.  i have a white friend (woman) married to a hispanic male.  she voted for trump because she is against abortion (supposedly trump is too). 

i don't get how anyone can take stuff like that seriously.  such a copout to say "you did this, so you have to be racist".  if a minority votes republican, does that make them a racist as well? 

i usually avoid these political threads (still think waygook should take it off the front page) but that's just stupid.  i already know some of you will accuse my friend of being a racist, despite the fact that she married a hispanic dude just because she voted for trump, but to see a paper make such a blanket statement.   i get how you guys like to call each other racists and other names all the time but this is supposed to be the news.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: US Politics Megathread
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:40:24 am »
Trump gets the support of older, less educated whites. Also evangelical Christians.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 11:16:23 am »
Trump gets the support of older, less educated whites. Also evangelical Christians.

Considering that Trump has broken at least half of the 10 Commandments, it's laughable that he still gets support from Evangelicals who are a one issue (abortion) voting block.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 11:25:18 am »
Considering that Trump has broken at least half of the 10 Commandments, it's laughable that he still gets support from Evangelicals who are a one issue (abortion) voting block.
Are the Democrats offering a plausible alternative?

All the Democrats seem to be offering is an alternative religion of Fundamentalist Social Justice. The days of Jimmy Carter or William Jennings Bryan are long gone.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 11:29:21 am »

All the Democrats seem to be offering is an alternative religion of Fundamentalist Social Justice. The days of Jimmy Carter or William Jennings Bryan are long gone.

Christianity is a lot more than just abortion restrictions.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 11:34:49 am »

[/quote]
Absolutely.

But the Democrats have embraced an alternative fundamentalist religion called Social Justice. And given the choice between a hypocritical embrace of Christianity by the Republicans, and an embrace of fundamentalist Social Justice by the Democrats, those Evangelical voters have a pretty easy choice on their hands.

For now the Democratic Party still has a hold on its Latino and African-American Christians, but the more they embrace the religion of Social Justice, the looser that hold will be and when it breaks, it will break in a torrent. There's just enough lingering loyalty and social welfare and anti-racism part of Social Justice to keep things going. 

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:51:19 am »
Donald Trump seems to be on a spiritual voyage that has accelerated greatly in the past few years. That journey has been very public and yet very private, mocked by his enemies and admired by his friends.

Now David Brody and Scott Lamb have reconstructed that journey, based on extensive interviews with President Trump himself and those closest to him, including Vice President Mike Pence.

As James Robison, a spiritual counselor and friend to the president, has told the authors: “God uses imperfect people to accomplish His perfect will. He always has and always will.” Trump won over evangelicals not by pandering to them, but by supporting them and all their most important issues without pretending to be someone he’s not. Though the forty-fifth president is far from the likeliest vessel—he has been married three times—his supporters argued that Donald Trump may be just what America needs. From his Protestant confirmation in Jamaica, Queens, through the wild ride of the 1970s, ’80s, and ’90s, and concluding with the laying on of hands in the Oval Office, The Faith of Donald J. Trump demonstrates how he has surrounded himself with believers who think he is the one guiding figure who can return us to the traditional values—hard work, discipline, duty, respect, and faith—that have long been the foundation of American life, and truly make America great again in all ways.

Donald J. Trump was raised as a Presbyterian and has praised both Christianity and the primacy of the Bible. In the Oval Office, he has surrounded himself with close advisers who share his deep faith. Throughout the book the authors chronicle his policies and guidelines that show him to be someone who evangelicals believe is standing up for traditional Judeo-Christian principles.
https://www.amazon.com/Faith-Donald-Trump-Spiritual-Biography-ebook/dp/B071KYZCBL/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:53:05 am by CDW »

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 11:51:44 am »
New research reports Trump voters were more likely to perform poorly on a test of intellectual ability.
https://psmag.com/news/trumps-appeal-to-the-cognitively-challenged

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 11:55:47 am »
“You know, I got 52% with women,” President Donald Trump said at a press conference in late September, falsely conflating the figure for white women with the figure for women overall, whom he did not win. “Everybody said this couldn’t happen—52%.”

http://time.com/5422644/trump-white-women-2016/

There’s just one problem with this statistic: It’s probably not true.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 12:27:51 pm »
“You know, I got 52% with women,” President Donald Trump said at a press conference in late September, falsely conflating the figure for white women with the figure for women overall, whom he did not win. “Everybody said this couldn’t happen—52%.”

Do you know why Trump does this? It's to direct people to an issue and change perception.

People go and fact check and see "52% of White women" not "52% of women". It encourages white women to vote for Trump and say "Hey there's lots of people who support him, even if they aren't saying it in public." or "It may not be 52%, but a lot of women are voting for Trump. The media says women hate Trump. The media is wrong."

It's similar to his Hillary health stuff during the election. Trump said stuff about her health, and even though it couldn't be proven, people started noticing. Then something happens and Trump looks like he predicted it. Same with Swedish terrorism. It's not accurate technically, but it is directionally.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 12:34:42 pm »

Do you know why Trump does this? It's to direct people to an issue and change perception.

People go and fact check and see "52% of White women" not "52% of women". It encourages white women to vote for Trump and say "Hey there's lots of people who support him, even if they aren't saying it in public."

What reason do you have to believe this is true and not the opposite? It seems at least equally plausible that Trump-averse white women would read that and think "Shit, we gotta get that number down."

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:16 pm »
What reason do you have to believe this is true and not the opposite? It seems at least equally plausible that Trump-averse white women would read that and think "Shit, we gotta get that number down."
They're already baked into the opposition. If you're thinking "Shit I gotta get that number down", then you're probably not going to be persuaded by anything Trump says or does to support Trump.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 12:54:59 pm »
They're already baked into the opposition. If you're thinking "Shit I gotta get that number down", then you're probably not going to be persuaded by anything Trump says or does to support Trump.

Persuaded? No. Motivated? Yes. I think loads of people become motivated by dumb shit Trump says, including the opposition.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 01:02:32 pm »
So about 65 million votes for Clinton
63 million for Trump
and 95 million didn't vote......

I'd say the bigger problem is those not voting than just white women.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 01:08:34 pm »

Absolutely.

But the Democrats have embraced an alternative fundamentalist religion called Social Justice. And given the choice between a hypocritical embrace of Christianity by the Republicans, and an embrace of fundamentalist Social Justice by the Democrats, those Evangelical voters have a pretty easy choice on their hands.

For now the Democratic Party still has a hold on its Latino and African-American Christians, but the more they embrace the religion of Social Justice, the looser that hold will be and when it breaks, it will break in a torrent. There's just enough lingering loyalty and social welfare and anti-racism part of Social Justice to keep things going.
[/quote]

Republicans are pro-life for the Evangelical vote.

Democrats are pro-choice and couldn't give a sh1t about losing the Evangelicals.

And nothing wrong with social justice. Just another loose term thrown around by the right like "liberal" and "Washington elites".

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 01:14:36 pm »
Persuaded? No. Motivated? Yes. I think loads of people become motivated by dumb shit Trump says, including the opposition.
That's probably true, and I think Trump may have seen the consequences of that in the midterms with the House.

I do think Trump is pursuing a business strategy that MIGHT not be effective in politics- Which is better 90% of your customers thinking a product is 7 or 8/10 OR 80% of your customers giving your product a 4/10 and 20% giving it a 10/10. The answer is the latter of course, which seems to fit with Trump's campaign model.

Given the U.S. system and the large number of people who don't vote, combined with certain elements of the Democrats (Hillary, SJWs in particular) being more off-putting than Trump's product, it worked and it might continue to work. However, it does contain a large degree of risk that it won't.

Traditional politics was Cornflakes vs. Rice Krispies. Trump turned it into Reese's Puffs vs. Raisin Bran and won. If the Dems go back to Cornflakes, they might win. Trump is trying to drive them into Grape Nuts territory, I think because he knows that he is stuck as Reese's Puffs and trying to rebrand himself as a healthy version of that isn't going to work. Unfortunately for the Dems, they often seem happy to oblige. "Grape Nuts, the cereal of sane adults, now with vagina shaped costume inside for your kids!"

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 01:17:34 pm »

Traditional politics was Cornflakes vs. Rice Krispies. Trump turned it into Reese's Puffs vs. Raisin Bran and won. If the Dems go back to Cornflakes, they might win. Trump is trying to drive them into Grape Nuts territory, I think because he knows that he is stuck as Reese's Puffs and trying to rebrand himself as a healthy version of that isn't going to work. Unfortunately for the Dems, they often seem happy to oblige. "Grape Nuts, the cereal of sane adults, now with vagina shaped costume inside for your kids!"

I'm not sure I understood what this was about, but I ****** love Grape Nuts.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 01:18:00 pm »
Clinton: 65,853,514
Trump: 62,984,828

Trump: 304
Clinton: 227

1960 World Series
Yankees: 55 runs scored
Pirates: 27 runs scored

Pirates: 4 Games won
Yankees: 3 Games won

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 01:27:35 pm »

I'm not sure I understood what this was about, but I ****** love Grape Nuts.

Lol. I actually like them too.

I'll break it down. Cornflakes and Rice Krispies are pretty standard fare, acceptable to many, not loved all that much. That's traditionally what the Democrats and Republicans were. Trump broke that mold and decided to be a cereal that would have a devoted fanatical following (look how people go on and on about Reese's) but many people don't care for it or are sickened by it and while they might enjoy one bowl, wouldn't buy a whole box. However, his Puffs went up against Clinton's Raisin Bran- bland, hated even more by many, loved by few.

Now if the Dems revert to Cornflakes, they just might win. However, Trump is trying to push them into Grape Nuts territory, where they might have a really strong following (SJWs and leftists) but a bunch of people can't even stomach them. Grape Nuts are fine. They are virtuous. They are "grown up". Unfortunately the SJWs ruin their brand by claiming to be an adult cereal and then tossing in vagina costumes as a kids prize (in other words, what middle America sees will happen to their kids if they take over). Trump's Reese's Puffs may be damaging, superficial, low brow, and come with a loud obnoxious toy car inside, but that beats the Grape Nuts.

Now, you may think this is nonsense, but it is branding and marketing. It is Trump's playbook (Heck if you believe Trump has the IQ of a punk kid, this way of him viewing the world in terms of cereal, would make a lot of sense).

Once you understand Trump, you can begin to defeat him and deal with him on rational terms. Russia, racist, Stormy Daniels, blah blah blah. That's all the surface noise. Underneath is a branding operation.