Read 5799 times

Re: Are you embarrassed to be a ESL teacher/professor?
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2019, 09:37:59 am »
He said this later

What follows is for your entertainment. It’s an illustration of how out of touch a lot of people in charge in Korea are. It’s an example of a giant waste of taxpayers’ money. I just coughed up W3 million in taxes this month, so I’m conscious of that.

“This month,” not “every month”, and even if it was, who cares?

Who said it was every month? And why comment if you don't care?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2019, 09:48:44 am »
He said this later

What follows is for your entertainment. It’s an illustration of how out of touch a lot of people in charge in Korea are. It’s an example of a giant waste of taxpayers’ money. I just coughed up W3 million in taxes this month, so I’m conscious of that.

I don’t care how much other people make unless I am paying them.

What I do care about is people getting dog-piled on.

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2019, 10:41:06 am »
He said this later

I don’t care how much other people make unless I am paying them.

What I do care about is people getting dog-piled on.

Who's getting dog piled?

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2019, 03:25:51 pm »
Thanks to the Korean media, I'm constantly bombarded by people looking for weed and I've been frisked everytime I've dealt with the cops, as I'm sure all of you have. And clearly the mothers who invite us out for coffee and the fathers that drink with me and you think we're child molesters.

I mean, that certainly sounds more logical than them being worried about a few bad apples coming in.

:azn:

Did you happen to read the post I was responding to?   It seems not.

I never said anything about "constantly bombarded", that is how you took it.  :-[

Sorry if this offends you, but can you not see

how inappropriate something like this event is?

https://zenkimchi.com/commentary/korea-still-treating-foreigners-like-children/

So you were forced to attend a seminar on potential sexual harassment/assault violations and to please be sensitive?

Congratulations, you are just like everyone in the entire developed world with a salaried job. You know all my Korean coworkers had to attend just such a seminar.

It's important to think about things before you jump to the conclusion of RAYSISM!!!"

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2019, 03:52:12 pm »
Thanks to the Korean media, I'm constantly bombarded by people looking for weed and I've been frisked everytime I've dealt with the cops, as I'm sure all of you have. And clearly the mothers who invite us out for coffee and the fathers that drink with me and you think we're child molesters.

I mean, that certainly sounds more logical than them being worried about a few bad apples coming in.

:azn:

Did you happen to read the post I was responding to?   It seems not.

I never said anything about "constantly bombarded", that is how you took it.  :-[

Sorry if this offends you, but can you not see

how inappropriate something like this event is?

https://zenkimchi.com/commentary/korea-still-treating-foreigners-like-children/

So you were forced to attend a seminar on potential sexual harassment/assault violations and to please be sensitive?

Congratulations, you are just like everyone in the entire developed world with a salaried job. You know all my Korean coworkers had to attend just such a seminar.

It's important to think about things before you jump to the conclusion of RAYSISM!!!"

Did they have to attend it on a Saturday morning on the other side of the province without a lunch provided?

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2019, 08:16:15 pm »
Did they have to attend it on a Saturday morning on the other side of the province without a lunch provided?
Wasn't that the normal weekend training seminar and this was just one topic? I don't know if the Korean teachers have ever had to do a weekend seminar, but I'm not going to bet against it. And yeah, things might different for Gangwondo vs. Daegu as far as where you have to go.

You'd have to be delusional to believe that "Everyone thinks we're child molesters". The rational view is that Koreans are concerned about child molesters coming in, not that they think every English teacher is a child molester. That would require you to believe that parents are voluntarily sending their kids en masse nationwide to sit in rooms with child molesters. That's a batsh*t crazy idea.

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2019, 09:27:33 am »
Wasn't that the normal weekend training seminar and this was just one topic? I don't know if the Korean teachers have ever had to do a weekend seminar, but I'm not going to bet against it. And yeah, things might different for Gangwondo vs. Daegu as far as where you have to go.

You'd have to be delusional to believe that "Everyone thinks we're child molesters". The rational view is that Koreans are concerned about child molesters coming in, not that they think every English teacher is a child molester. That would require you to believe that parents are voluntarily sending their kids en masse nationwide to sit in rooms with child molesters. That's a batsh*t crazy idea.

It's pretty simple. If Korean teachers get the same talk (in Korean) about molesting children, it's not racist, if they don't, it is.

Saying they're concerned about child molesters coming in (when the stats show there's no cause) doesn't make it OK.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2019, 09:40:01 am »
I've never been embarrassed with any thought out decision I've made.

There's only one question I ask myself and it is the most important question of all:

"Am I happy?"

Yes. 'nuff said

No. Change your situation.

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2019, 09:47:03 am »
It's pretty simple. If Korean teachers get the same talk (in Korean) about molesting children, it's not racist, if they don't, it is.

Saying they're concerned about child molesters coming in (when the stats show there's no cause) doesn't make it OK.
I'm pretty sure at some point there's some sort of "Don't do this and guidelines for reporting" lecture or whathaveyou they have to sit through.

Also, the idea that because immigrants (legal or illegal) commit crimes at a lower rate, it somehow makes their crime "okay" or you shouldn't take steps to prevent it is bad policy. Crime isn't just a ratio/proportional thing, it is also a gross thing. It is still additional victims generated.

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2019, 09:50:19 am »

I'm pretty sure at some point there's some sort of "Don't do this and guidelines for reporting" lecture or whathaveyou they have to sit through.

Also, the idea that because immigrants (legal or illegal) commit crimes at a lower rate, it somehow makes their crime "okay" or you shouldn't take steps to prevent it is bad policy. Crime isn't just a ratio/proportional thing, it is also a gross thing. It is still additional victims generated.

As I said before if Koreans get the same thing, it's not racist, if they don't, it is.

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2019, 09:56:27 am »
As I said before if Koreans get the same thing, it's not racist, if they don't, it is.
Now that we've established that, any comment on his questionable assertion that everyone sees as drug dealers and child molesters?

Face it, OP's claim is a pile of horse manure. "not so much to be embarrassed to be a teacher per se as it is 
to be embarrassed to be an EFL/ESL teacher in Korea. 
This is largely due to the negative stereotypes with which the Korean media
like to portray weigukin teachers.    (drug dealers, drunks, womanizers and child molesters)"

Yeah, we're all seen as drug dealers and child molesters.  :rolleyes:

And every person who wears a MAGA hat is the equivalent of a Klan member.  :rolleyes:

Same kind of moronic logic.

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2019, 10:21:06 am »
Now that we've established that, any comment on his questionable assertion that everyone sees as drug dealers and child molesters?

Face it, OP's claim is a pile of horse manure. "not so much to be embarrassed to be a teacher per se as it is 
to be embarrassed to be an EFL/ESL teacher in Korea. 
This is largely due to the negative stereotypes with which the Korean media
like to portray weigukin teachers.    (drug dealers, drunks, womanizers and child molesters)"

Yeah, we're all seen as drug dealers and child molesters.  :rolleyes:

And every person who wears a MAGA hat is the equivalent of a Klan member.  :rolleyes:

Same kind of moronic logic.

Yes he was using hyperbole. I don't think he intended to be taken literally

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2019, 10:26:33 am »
There is some fear of criminals.

Women are strongly preferred over men, and I'm guessing that's the reason. Or at least a large part of it.

Ask any recruiter, most applicants are men. Overwhelmingly. Yet most new teachers hired are women.

http://populargusts.blogspot.com/2016/03/when-it-comes-to-e-2-visa-holders-women.html

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2019, 11:52:48 am »
Women are strongly preferred over men, and I'm guessing that's the reason. Or at least a large part of it.

They can pay them less, according to one reply on that site.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2019, 12:03:43 pm »
Foreign women, no.

Because back in the West young women average higher salaries and lower unemployment than their male counterparts.

Partly why less apply. There is more demand for women but less supply. This translates to easier access to the more desirable jobs: public school and especially university, which have set pay scales.

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2019, 12:54:38 pm »
Women tend to be preferred when it comes to taking care of young children. Though back home, the dearth of male elementary teachers is sometimes an issue and leads to them being sought.

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2019, 12:39:38 am »
 :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:50:41 pm by some waygug-in »

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2019, 11:56:07 am »
But the rule in Korea is that if Korean-Americans are good, they’re Korean. If they’re bad, they’re foreigners.
Yup, the ONLY people who do this are Koreans. Never encountered such sentiments from other foreigners or people on waygook.  :rolleyes:

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2019, 09:32:02 pm »
You're right.   I apologize.  :-[

I need to stay off of this forum  :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:07:18 pm by some waygug-in »

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2019, 08:57:47 am »
I should add back in 2007 and 2008, when I told people I was a public school teacher, I got respect and wow from people.  I even got some bows from parents back then.  (I also had a clean cut look to fit the stereotype.)  But if I were a hakwon, I would have been a dirty foreigner.  It use to get respect.  After the great recession when it got flooded with lots of kids and bearded tattoo types, not so much.