Read 4178 times

Re: Foreign Political threads: proposal for TOS changes
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2018, 10:52:22 am »
I get where the OP is coming from. This site is supposed to be a place where teachers come and gather information about teaching and resoruces to help them do so. It paints a different picture when the entire front page is nothing but threads on people debating politics.

I don't think the threads need to be censored, but maybe not have them so prominent. If anything, lesson plans and job help topics should be the forefront of this website.

They are, they're at the top.

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 11:00:40 am »
I took a break from Waygook a few months ago because I felt like I was wasting a lot of time here and the political discussions were a pointless, frustrating distraction. I came online again for some practical-advice-about-Korea type of query and got sucked in again. I think that time has come for another break. Maybe I'll see you all again.

*Steps out onto a desolate highway then immediately jumps back as StillinKorea screams past at 120mph in soaking wet clothes, leaving another defeated libtard in his dust spray*

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 11:09:12 am »
...However, I can't be the only one who thinks, Oh god, really? You want to talk about this? when some of these topics crop up, mainly because it can seem like an unwelcome, antagonistic intrusion...

That's why I started this thread.

The "signal to noise" ratio had dropped in recent months.

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2018, 12:23:25 pm »
Some options:

a) ban it because it has very very little relevance to teaching English in South Korea, and because it is white nationalist nonsense, and they already have places to infest like Reddit and Stormfront and Infowars (which is where they get their nonsense from in the first place)

b) go the Dave's route and make a "White Nationalist Safe-Space" forum that you have to request to be added to, and if you don't want to be added to it you don't see it

c) actually moderate/ban people for posting obvious racist/sexist propaganda from websites that are obvious dens of white nationalism

None of us like putting up with Korean racism and nationalism, I don't get why we're supposed to put up with a handful of American (and some European) white nationalists. If we wanted to read that crap we'd be somewhere else.

MayorHaggar, you consistently post what many would say are bigoted or even racist things about Koreans in this forum. For you to trash other people as white nationalists or to bring up "Korean racism" in your post is utterly ridiculous. If we really were going to cull the offensive, I think you might find yourself in trouble.

However, I think you should be allowed to post. I have never flagged any of your comments. I have only responded to them. I believe in the open marketplace of ideas and debate.

Really dude, look in the mirror before you start calling others racists.

Because I say things like "Koreans are bad drivers" or "Koreans lie about pollution" or "Korean companies tend to be corrupt," and the usual response of Koreaboo apologists like you is to put your head in the sand and cry "racism" because you can't accept criticism of the Greatest Country in the History of the Universe. I'm not saying Koreans are bad about certain things because Koreans are bad or stupid or evil, I'm saying they have a lot of bad habits in their culture which they could fix. Ask most Koreans and they will complain about the same things I do. They are just as if not more concerned about bad driving and pollution and corruption etc. And there's other issues they hate like suicide and unemployment etc. At least we can leave, they have to live in Korea and put up with it all their lives.

I really don't see how it's racist to complain about the same exact things that Koreans complain about.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2018, 12:33:21 pm »
Some options:

a) ban it because it has very very little relevance to teaching English in South Korea, and because it is white nationalist nonsense, and they already have places to infest like Reddit and Stormfront and Infowars (which is where they get their nonsense from in the first place)

b) go the Dave's route and make a "White Nationalist Safe-Space" forum that you have to request to be added to, and if you don't want to be added to it you don't see it

c) actually moderate/ban people for posting obvious racist/sexist propaganda from websites that are obvious dens of white nationalism

None of us like putting up with Korean racism and nationalism, I don't get why we're supposed to put up with a handful of American (and some European) white nationalists. If we wanted to read that crap we'd be somewhere else.

MayorHaggar, you consistently post what many would say are bigoted or even racist things about Koreans in this forum. For you to trash other people as white nationalists or to bring up "Korean racism" in your post is utterly ridiculous. If we really were going to cull the offensive, I think you might find yourself in trouble.

However, I think you should be allowed to post. I have never flagged any of your comments. I have only responded to them. I believe in the open marketplace of ideas and debate.

Really dude, look in the mirror before you start calling others racists.

Because I say things like "Koreans are bad drivers" or "Koreans lie about pollution" or "Korean companies tend to be corrupt," and the usual response of Koreaboo apologists like you is to put your head in the sand and cry "racism" because you can't accept criticism of the Greatest Country in the History of the Universe. I'm not saying Koreans are bad about certain things because Koreans are bad or stupid or evil, I'm saying they have a lot of bad habits in their culture which they could fix. Ask most Koreans and they will complain about the same things I do. They are just as if not more concerned about bad driving and pollution and corruption etc. And there's other issues they hate like suicide and unemployment etc. At least we can leave, they have to live in Korea and put up with it all their lives.

I really don't see how it's racist to complain about the same exact things that Koreans complain about.

...and since it is about Koreans, I, as OP of this thread, don't mind reading about it, debating it, or yawning and passing it by.

I might even let "treatment of Koreans in USA/UK/Uganda/UAE slide.

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2018, 12:44:40 pm »
I took a break from Waygook a few months ago because I felt like I was wasting a lot of time here and the political discussions were a pointless, frustrating distraction. I came online again for some practical-advice-about-Korea type of query and got sucked in again. I think that time has come for another break. Maybe I'll see you all again.

*Steps out onto a desolate highway then immediately jumps back as StillinKorea screams past at 120mph in soaking wet clothes, leaving another defeated libtard in his dust spray*

I check this site for news about Korea, with an occasional dip of the toes into what will obviously become flaming wars.  I belong to another (non-korean related) site where it is mostly leftists, and though I agree with more of what they are saying, they feel the need to argue and counter-point everything.  The righties on this site are that way as well.  Any comment that isn't directly aligned with their world view will be attacked, (on the political threads especially) often using 'facts' from whatever totally biased 'news source' of their choosing. 

Frankly, I don't care.  Arguing over politics is dumb.  The fringes of both parties have largely taken over.  I find the extremes of each party's platform to be equally reprehensible.  If I could equate it to something, it would be die-hard sports fans rooting for their favorite teams, and ignoring the fact that their favorite team is burning down a school full of children every Wednesday.  You root for these people like they care about you, but they don't care about you in the least. 

The liberals call Trump an elite who doesn't care about other people, but when do you think is the last time Pelosi walked the streets of San Francisco?  That city is a mess.  What has she done to help fix her district?  The "Republican Pledge," in which they agree to vote for whatever their party tells them to.  These are people who are meant to represent you, and they don't. 

So mostly my reaction to these posts is an eye-roll.  But even I have commented on a few recently hoping to get them to stop.  It doesn't help.   

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2018, 01:08:46 pm »
"I want the government to do more to stop crime in Hamtramck" is a lot different than "We all know why Hamtramck has problems- it's because of their black culture and their precious rap 'music' and the fact that they will always lie and never confront the problem."

Change the words in what you say and substitute locations and cultures and you get something to the right of Stefan Molyneaux. Sorry, but by your own standard in which you judge conservatives and Republicans, you don't have a leg to stand on with the racism claims.

If you want to eliminate "white nationalism" on this site, then fine. Let's start with you. Like I've said, it's rather striking that the people who throw the "Republicans are Racist" stuff around so much say some of the harshest stuff about Koreans.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2018, 01:16:06 pm »
"I want the government to do more to stop crime in Hamtramck" is a lot different than "We all know why Hamtramck has problems- it's because of their black culture and their precious rap 'music' and the fact that they will always lie and never confront the problem."

Change the words in what you say and substitute locations and cultures and you get something to the right of Stefan Molyneaux. Sorry, but by your own standard in which you judge conservatives and Republicans, you don't have a leg to stand on with the racism claims.

If you want to eliminate "white nationalism" on this site, then fine. Let's start with you. Like I've said, it's rather striking that the people who throw the "Republicans are Racist" stuff around so much say some of the harshest stuff about Koreans.

1 + 2 does not equal 4.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2018, 01:19:23 pm »
Mods: Anyway to limit a person's daily posting limit?

Steels should only be allowed to post 10 times a day. It's best for his health.

Just taking a look at all the current threads on the main page and Steels has recently posted to all 10 of them. Half show that he is the last poster.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:22:07 pm by Savant »

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 01:29:02 pm »
1 + 2 does not equal 4.
If you're going to go and accuse a bunch of people here of being white nationalists or supporting white nationalist stuff, then let's talk some racism and who says prejudiced and bigoted stuff. Admittedly there are people on both sides who say pretty nasty things about Koreans (Chester Jim, cough cough), but there is a big chunk from the left-leaning posters.

Sorry, but those of us who lean right aren't going to take that accusation of supporting white nationalism lying down, not from posters who say things about Koreans that if they said them back home, would get them quickly ostracized from the community of leftists and to check themselves.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2018, 01:36:34 pm »
1 + 2 does not equal 4.
If you're going to go and accuse a bunch of people here of being white nationalists or supporting white nationalist stuff, then let's talk some racism and who says prejudiced and bigoted stuff. Admittedly there are people on both sides who say pretty nasty things about Koreans (Chester Jim, cough cough), but there is a big chunk from the left-leaning posters.

Sorry, but those of us who lean right aren't going to take that accusation of supporting white nationalism lying down, not from posters who say things about Koreans that if they said them back home, would get them quickly ostracized from the community of leftists and to check themselves.

There are no accusations. The proof in the pudding is in the evidence of what they post.

Back home plenty of people infer Koreans as that "dog eating" people.

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2018, 01:42:25 pm »
1 + 2 does not equal 4.

Isn't this the "but what about?" deflection strategy, though? Isn't bringing Koreans into it just a distraction?

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2018, 01:47:41 pm »
1 + 2 does not equal 4.

Isn't this the "but what about?" deflection strategy, though? Isn't bringing Koreans into it just a distraction?

Yes and Steels' obsessive need to bring Koreans into most of his arguments being the Korean "Nationalist" that he is.

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2018, 01:50:09 pm »
1 + 2 does not equal 4.

There's no way he's going to back up that accusation with any examples or facts so you might as well go off on a tangent.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2018, 02:19:27 pm »
I get where the OP is coming from. This site is supposed to be a place where teachers come and gather information about teaching and resoruces to help them do so. It paints a different picture when the entire front page is nothing but threads on people debating politics.

I don't think the threads need to be censored, but maybe not have them so prominent. If anything, lesson plans and job help topics should be the forefront of this website.

They are but they're a lot smaller than the discussion section.
The World Ends With You

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2018, 04:58:39 pm »

They are but they're a lot smaller than the discussion section.
Taking today as a common for instance, there were only two threads in lesson plans that were active today.  Nine threads in general discussion generated dozens and dozens of posts.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2018, 09:33:31 am »
Thank you for the US Political Mega (MAGA?) thread!

Now I can avoid the topic much more easily.

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2019, 10:02:16 am »
Thank you for the US Political Mega (MAGA?) thread!

Now I can avoid the topic much more easily.

Maybe we need a separate thread for discussion of liberal vs conservative politics, so that I can avoid that one too.

Today 6 out of 10 of the most active threads on the front page are all about politics. Another thread about the boat sinking in Hungary also had a political post (which has since been deleted), by someone just venting about Hungarian politics, showing no concern for the tragedy.

Another solution would be to have a political section on the forum and not displaying these topics in the recent activity box on the front page, so that people can avoid all the political nonsense (which just has the same dozen or so people repeating the same opinions over and over again).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:04:14 am by belo horizonte »

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2019, 10:14:04 am »
Can we have a separate thread for people posting complaints about other people discussing things they don't want to discuss? So I can more easily avoid reading that whiny drivel.

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2019, 10:21:35 am »
Waygook will respond to the clicks. If you want other topics, MAKE THEM and be active. Don't rely on other people to make topics for you that you will find interesting.

The reason the political topics are at the top is because people made them and they keep them active and they interact.

If you want topics about cooking or tourist spots or entertainment news or meetup events or shopping or continuing education or whatever to be at the top- MAKE THE TOPIC AND BE ACTIVE.