Read 3948 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Foreign Political threads: proposal for TOS changes
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:32:26 pm »
I think that this site should add non-Korean politics to the prohibited topics list, next to religion.

Can I get a seconder?

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Korealand
Re: Foreign Political threads: proposal for TOS changes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 07:45:59 pm »
+1

Waygook should be a safe-space for all ideas.

If you want to talk politics or any topic that may offend, then find somewhere else to do it!

Waygook should be a place where all users can feel comfortable to express themselves without fear of reading hate speech.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 07:53:22 pm »
I think that this site should add non-Korean politics to the prohibited topics list, next to religion.

Can I get a seconder?

Every post has a description in brackets underneath that specifically tells you what the forum topic is. How effing difficult is it to not click on the topic area that doesn't interest you?

e.g.

Democrats Planning To Riot No Matter Who Wins.
[USA]

Umm, that says USA and Democrats, maybe it's about US politics, I'm not interested in US politics so I won't click on that.  :rolleyes:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 08:08:30 pm »

Can I get a seconder?

Every post has a description in brackets underneath that specifically tells you what the forum topic is. How effing difficult is it to not click on the topic area that doesn't interest you?

e.g.

Democrats Planning To Riot No Matter Who Wins.
[USA]

Umm, that says USA and Democrats, maybe it's about US politics, I'm not interested in US politics so I won't click on that.  :rolleyes:

I don't think that was the intent of the non -Korean forums here.

Questions about vacations, future ESL jobs, tax treaties, passport renewals... That's what I expect to see there!

PS: I didn't click on that thread.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:33:30 pm by JNM »

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:54:04 pm »
Waygook should be a safe-space for all ideas.

If you want to talk politics or any topic that may offend, then find somewhere else to do it!

So basically not a space for all ideas then. Only a safe space for ideas that don't personally offend you. Gotta love the Obama kids and their radical interpretation of liberalism.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:59:23 pm »

I think he was tongue in cheek

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 09:01:48 pm »
I think eggie forgot which side he was arguing!

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 09:03:04 pm »
Eggieguffer, how about I send some spam to your e-mail? If you don't like it, don't click on it. Simple as that.

Yep. Getting annoyed about spam is the modern digital equivalent of getting annoyed about people putting flyers or free newspapers into their letterbox. It's a sad thing that old people with too much time on their hands do.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 09:06:19 pm »
I think eggie forgot which side he was arguing!

no, both responses work equally well

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 09:13:25 pm »
who cares. this forum is dead anyway. at least politics threads bring something new*. otherwise it's just that ranting thread or friday thread

*i don't read them btw. but how hard is it to simply not click on them if they don't interest you?

but someone please get rid of that huge "new lessons plan" bit at the top of the front page

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 07:51:35 am »
How about displaying only Korea-related threads in the "Recent Activity" section and adding another section at the bottom of the page for non-Korea threads? The layout of the page could be:

"New in Lesson Plans"
"Recent Activity"
"Work Related"
"International"

People offended by foreign political threads could simply refrain from scrolling down.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 08:26:51 am »
If you want to drive political threads off the front page, start up some threads about Korea that have some obvious controversy.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 08:44:44 am »
If you want to drive political threads off the front page, start up some threads about Korea that have some obvious controversy.
We shouldn't have to!

There are plenty of places to debate US politics.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 07:06:52 pm »
Here's an idea. Why not just create a dedicated megathread called "I hate progressives / liberals / lefties" and contain everything there, rather than pretending that the same repetitive themes are worthy of a new thread every couple of days. You could even have a specific focus for each day of the week, which would keep things neat and tidy. For example, Mondays could be all about how much the left hates freedom of speech and loves censorship. Then Tuesday could be dedicated to outrage about things said by various people on the left. Wednesdays are for mocking the victim mentalities of certain groups, followed by Thursdays devoted to lamenting the hardships endured by white, straight, conservative men. We all need a release on Fridays, so they could be just a general 5 Minutes of Hate kind of thing, where you can freely unload on target of your choice - the media, George Soros, university professors, the editor of Pow Wow Chow... Things are a little slower here on the weekends, so Saturday and Sunday could be reserved for the fringier topics that don't receive much uptake - conspiracy theories and stuff like "English teachers in Korea are trying to change Korean society by imposing their progressive worldview on children."

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 07:27:44 pm »
Here's an idea. Why not just create a dedicated megathread called "I hate progressives / liberals / lefties" and contain everything there, rather than pretending that the same repetitive themes are worthy of a new thread every couple of days.

Sounds good. There's already one set up for your lot I think called 'When will Trump be impeached?' Standing at 119 pages at the moment.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 07:33:49 pm »
Yeah. It's compact all in one thread. We're asking you to do the same.

Why not just create a dedicated megathread called "I hate progressives / liberals / lefties" and contain everything there, rather than pretending that the same repetitive themes are worthy of a new thread every couple of days.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 05:34:20 pm »
Some options:

a) ban it because it has very very little relevance to teaching English in South Korea, and because it is white nationalist nonsense, and they already have places to infest like Reddit and Stormfront and Infowars (which is where they get their nonsense from in the first place)

b) go the Dave's route and make a "White Nationalist Safe-Space" forum that you have to request to be added to, and if you don't want to be added to it you don't see it

c) actually moderate/ban people for posting obvious racist/sexist propaganda from websites that are obvious dens of white nationalism

None of us like putting up with Korean racism and nationalism, I don't get why we're supposed to put up with a handful of American (and some European) white nationalists. If we wanted to read that crap we'd be somewhere else.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 05:58:03 pm »
Some options:

a) ban it because it has very very little relevance to teaching English in South Korea, and because it is white nationalist nonsense, and they already have places to infest like Reddit and Stormfront and Infowars (which is where they get their nonsense from in the first place)

b) go the Dave's route and make a "White Nationalist Safe-Space" forum that you have to request to be added to, and if you don't want to be added to it you don't see it

c) actually moderate/ban people for posting obvious racist/sexist propaganda from websites that are obvious dens of white nationalism

None of us like putting up with Korean racism and nationalism, I don't get why we're supposed to put up with a handful of American (and some European) white nationalists. If we wanted to read that crap we'd be somewhere else.

2000-2010 era moderate conservatism, which is what you're seeing here, is hardly white nationalism. There's a lot of middle ground between actual white nationalism and the outraged bleeding heart 'liberalism' that has become the norm for under-30s in the west. The norm has shifted, and your proposal to ban anything that doesn't conform to it is not very liberal at all.

"Let's cast them out for not having the same views as us." And you call yourself a liberal?

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 06:19:30 pm »
I don't see the need to do anything.

Threads are clearly labelled. 

Visitors/members get to choose what threads they click on.

People who are "triggered"/right-wing snowflakes/etc can choose their level of participation/butt-hurt.  The onus is on them.

Moderators who interfere/clean up/make everyone be all nicey-nice can f*** right o** since we are all adults here.  People who can't express themselves without f***** swearing will be ignored/derided by the literate amongst us as has always been the f**** case (just k*****).

It is obviously true that there are other forums/websites to talk politics, but so what?  Without this one, there would be one less.

This one serves mainly expats who live in Korea and therefore have a unique perspective to offer on political matters--again, if you don't want to hear them, skip the threads, which are generally clearly labeled.

Anyway, I'm sure Arsalan will do what he does.  And based on the last year or so, it will be wrong.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 06:35:33 pm »

Oh you mean like the Young Turks? Which was the video in the latest thread (white terror) that's annoyed people so much and inspired this thread? Yeah, they're real white nationalists  :rolleyes: Pretty much the direct opposite in fact. Or maybe you think Jordan Peterson is a white nationalist? (the video I posted before that) His audience are mostly white men, so I guess he must be, right?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:07:54 pm by eggieguffer »