Read 3425 times

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: 2018 Midterm Elections Live Thread, With Poll (Non-Americans Welcome!)
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2018, 03:15:33 pm »

That is seriously laughable, well played sir.

Where to start; slavery, outsourcing to countries with lax/no environmental  law, countries with no organized labor or no labor laws, offshore banking to avoid taxes, automation (arguable), not even to mention the role wealth plays in manipulation of laws being implemented or changed to suit the needs of business, banana republics overthrowing democratically elected officials throughout Central and South America and Asia. I mean common on dude I know its Friday but at least try.

We can agree that we need to remove tax loopholes and offshore banking. We can agree for-profit prisons are slavery and morally wrong. It's evident big money interests do have a large effect on policy, but isn't this evidence that the power of bureaucrats should be limited, instead of expanded? For outsourcing, maybe factory workers in Indonesia make $4 a day, but that actually buys quite a bit in local circles. If it's the highest paying job they can find, is it wrong to drive the factory out?

I'll stand by my original statement, the majority of American companies create wealth fairly.

Ok. We disagree.

Have a good weekend.

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2018, 03:16:04 pm »

I'll stand by my original statement, the majority of American companies create wealth fairly.

But that's not your original statement...

My point is there isn't anything indicating the majority of people amass their wealth unfairly, by exploiting or stealing.

It's strange to say people amass their wealth fairly when so many people inherit their wealth. It would be equally strange to say I amassed my height fairly for the same reason. Whereas I can't squander my height, some people can and do squander their wealth. But to say that it's fair that some people are born with great wealth and others with so little is either very strange or relies on a very backwards sense of fairness and justice.

• sh9wntm
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2018, 03:23:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2018, 03:29:11 pm »

My point is there isn't anything indicating the majority of people amass their wealth unfairly, by exploiting or stealing.

It's strange to say people amass their wealth fairly when so many people inherit their wealth. It would be equally strange to say I amassed my height fairly for the same reason. Whereas I can't squander my height, some people can and do squander their wealth. But to say that it's fair that some people are born with great wealth and others with so little is either very strange or relies on a very backwards sense of fairness and justice.

Okay then... My original statement was in reference to Americans as we're talking American politics.
Why is inheritance unfair? Should you not be allowed to pass earned resources down to your family? Or should a government entity forcefully take your inheritance and give it to a family they think is more deserving? That sounds pretty f'n Maoist dude.

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2018, 12:34:37 pm »

I'll stand by my original statement, the majorityof American companies  create wealth fairly.

Okay then... My original statement was in reference to Americans as we're talking American politics.
Why is inheritance unfair? Should you not be allowed to pass earned resources down to your family? Or should a government entity forcefully take your inheritance and give it to a family they think is more deserving? That sounds pretty f'n Maoist dude.

No, your original statement was in reference to companies and then later moved to people, but it's not that important. And inheritance is unfair for the reason I stated. How can you say I "fairly" amassed the wealth that my parents gave to me? In the same way, do people born into debt-ridden families "deserve" that?

And yes, I support inheritance/estate taxes. You know we have that in the U.S. now right? Are countries with the estate tax Maoist?

• sh9wntm
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2018, 01:28:55 pm »
No, your original statement was in reference to companies and then later moved to people, but it's not that important. And inheritance is unfair for the reason I stated. How can you say I "fairly" amassed the wealth that my parents gave to me? In the same way, do people born into debt-ridden families "deserve" that?

And yes, I support inheritance/estate taxes. You know we have that in the U.S. now right? Are countries with the estate tax Maoist?

If youíre suggesting the state is entitled to inheritance over family, that is absurd. You didnít amass the wealth, your family did, and the same way parents voluntarily support their children with their resources, they should be allowed to pass their resources down to whomever they want to. The only thing stopping that is an authoritative form of government (like Nazism). How does them being dead make it okay to disregard their will and pillage their stuff in the name of equity? Look into the Maoist famine and how private farm rights were revoked in the name of collectivism.

To a lesser degree, estate taxes at least somewhat respects private property rights, and only applies to multi-million dollar homes. But itís still very troubling logic and at its core violates individual rights.

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2018, 10:01:57 am »

To a lesser degree, estate taxes at least somewhat respects private property rights, and only applies to multi-million dollar homes. But itís still very troubling logic and at its core violates individual rights.

Okay, let's agree to disagree. I don't think there is any "troubling logic" behind the estate tax and you haven't provided any argument against it other than "people should be free to do whatever they want and anyone that disagrees is a fascist or communist." If you want to argue about why individual rights should be valued over any other kind of rights claim, you're free to do that. IMO, we're not going to get anywhere and I certainly don't think you're open to changing your opinion, considering you've suggested I'm a Maoist.

• sh9wntm
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2018, 12:40:26 pm »

Okay, let's agree to disagree. I don't think there is any "troubling logic" behind the estate tax and you haven't provided any argument against it other than "people should be free to do whatever they want and anyone that disagrees is a fascist or communist." If you want to argue about why individual rights should be valued over any other kind of rights claim, you're free to do that. IMO, we're not going to get anywhere and I certainly don't think you're open to changing your opinion, considering you've suggested I'm a Maoist.

Yah itís not going anywhere because you conflated my argument of private property rights into ďpeople should be able to do whatever the want.Ē If we cant at least establish private property rights are just, and because of those rights, the state, nor anyone else, has the right to steal or vandalize your things, we arenít getting anywhere. And yes, if you support the state taking inheritance from people, that is indeed what happened in Maoist China.

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2018, 02:14:28 pm »

Yah itís not going anywhere because you conflated my argument of private property rights into ďpeople should be able to do whatever the want.Ē If we cant at least establish private property rights are just, and because of those rights, the state, nor anyone else, has the right to steal or vandalize your things, we arenít getting anywhere. And yes, if you support the state taking inheritance from people, that is indeed what happened in Maoist China.

dude the state DOES take people's inheritance (to some degree) and "steals" from you every time you pay taxes. if you think the state shouldn't take taxes, i don't know what to say to you. i didn't say property rights are not just, but IMO they are not of the highest value. i'm not alone in thinking this. there's a reason the declaration of independence enshrines the values of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" as opposed to "life, liberty, and property" ... we have a fundamental disagreement here and that's fine.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2018, 02:49:34 pm »
Uhhhhhhh WTF

UriNara, you are so getting banned, Jesus Christ.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2018, 07:45:44 pm »
Uhhhhhhh WTF

??

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2018, 08:07:17 pm »
Anyone watching "Fox and Friends" lately? 

I guess the caravan bringing us leprosy and smallpox has somehow dissipated or disappeared.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2018, 08:23:45 pm »
Uhhhhhhh WTF

??

I really don't think anyone else saw it. I couldn't believe it myself. They shared a pic of a Japanese A/V wolfing down on a big ol' knob. I'm not even joking, it was so surreal. It was there for.................... 3 mins? MAYBE?  I got it screenshot. Waiting on Kyndo to get back to me.

I can put up with a lot of shit, but blowy pics on a teaching forum.............like, why? For what reason????
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2018, 08:44:28 pm »
Uhhhhhhh WTF

??

I really don't think anyone else saw it. I couldn't believe it myself. They shared a pic of a Japanese A/V wolfing down on a big ol' knob. I'm not even joking, it was so surreal. It was there for.................... 3 mins? MAYBE?  I got it screenshot. Waiting on Kyndo to get back to me.

I can put up with a lot of shit, but blowy pics on a teaching forum.............like, why? For what reason????

Here, was me thinking it was a pic of his sister.

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2018, 05:21:45 am »

I guess the caravan bringing us leprosy and smallpox has somehow dissipated or disappeared.

Probably the same place Blasey Ford is.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2018, 08:10:21 am »

How does that make any sense at all? 

Kavanaugh is on the court and the discussion has ended.  The caravan is still there, making its way to the US border, intent on "invading".  If that was a newsstory last Monday, it is surely a more urgent newsstory a week later, and a week closer.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2018, 08:16:15 am »

How does that make any sense at all? 

Kavanaugh is on the court and the discussion has ended.  The caravan is still there, making its way to the US border, intent on "invading".  If that was a newsstory last Monday, it is surely a more urgent newsstory a week later, and a week closer.

The slowest invasion force, ever.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2018, 08:46:19 am »

Did you ACTUALLY see it, too?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2018, 08:55:36 am »

Did you ACTUALLY see it, too?

Yes! Was it a Japanese A/V star?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2018, 10:25:26 am »
I didn't personally see it. It was removed by another mod super quick, and UriNara has been... dealt with.