Read 12992 times

• McTinkle
  • Explorer

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:48 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
Re: Waygook's Unofficial 2nd Brexit Vote (The People's Vote)
« Reply #220 on: December 12, 2019, 12:57:12 pm »
Boris is a joker and a liar, but the alternative is worse! If only Labour had put forward a likeable leader, they would have had it in the bag... :(

I had a discussion along these lines a couple of months back with mum. Even though she's 80 she still travelled from the Peak District down to London for the marches. Basically, it's safe to say that there is a majority of Labour MPS who would want a second referendum.  And I'm pretty sure that there is enough public demand for a second referendum that if Corbyn had come out and demanded that he wanted that, he'd get a load of support.  But he just dilli-dallied around and didn't say anything that forcefully. A while back, I thought that he seemed like a good choice, but the more he didn't say something about demanding a second referendum, the more he'd look like a weak idiot.  Mum thought it was because he was 'principled' that is why he didn't say something as he's not exactly an EU lover.   But still.  Where is the harm in coming out with a strong position for a second vote?  I'm not sure when he finally quietly mentioned something about wanting a second vote, but it was too late.
A second referendum is in Labour's manifesto: https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/the-final-say-on-brexit/

This highlights an actual issue with this election, the UK has a very biased media owned by billionaires who are very scared about Labour getting in. They have done an absolute hit job on Corbyn and its sickening to watch and disappointing to see people get suckered in by it. Even the BBC has been caught several times being openly biased against Labour.

If you can vote please vote Labour. I have to vote tactically to get the tories out and there's no shame doing that either.

« Reply #221 on: December 12, 2019, 01:07:27 pm »
If you can vote please vote Labour. I have to vote tactically to get the tories out and there's no shame doing that either.

My mum has my vote.  I was a little surprised because I've not lived in England for over 15 years, which I thought was the cut-off point for being able to vote.  But she got a card through for me, so she has my proxy as well as my older brother too.  She's been calling around on behalf of Labour, so she's been doing her bit.  The High Peak Labour MP is a young passionate female who was really great in the hustings.  The Conservative candidate was and is fuuking hopeless. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2019, 01:39:11 pm »
this is pretty damning:

"Investigation finds Ď88% of Tory ads misleading compared to 0% for Labour'"

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/10/investigation-finds-88-tory-ads-misleading-compared-0-labour-11651802/

and the Metro is owned by the Daily Mail, which is even more surprising they'd publish this.

the BBC just went with:

"General election 2019: Ads are 'indecent, dishonest and untruthful'" which is a bs headline

« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2019, 04:04:14 pm »
Boris is a joker and a liar, but the alternative is worse! If only Labour had put forward a likeable leader, they would have had it in the bag... :(

I had a discussion along these lines a couple of months back with mum. Even though she's 80 she still travelled from the Peak District down to London for the marches. Basically, it's safe to say that there is a majority of Labour MPS who would want a second referendum.  And I'm pretty sure that there is enough public demand for a second referendum that if Corbyn had come out and demanded that he wanted that, he'd get a load of support.  But he just dilli-dallied around and didn't say anything that forcefully. A while back, I thought that he seemed like a good choice, but the more he didn't say something about demanding a second referendum, the more he'd look like a weak idiot.  Mum thought it was because he was 'principled' that is why he didn't say something as he's not exactly an EU lover.   But still.  Where is the harm in coming out with a strong position for a second vote?  I'm not sure when he finally quietly mentioned something about wanting a second vote, but it was too late.  By then, he just annoyed me.  I still think there is a massive part of the population who support a second referendum and he didn't tap into this, he just stood around, waiting, which made him look like a dick.  But to me, he's still better than Johnson.  I mean what a massive fukcing cant he is.  I still blame Merton and Hislop for this. 

Yeah I can't believe how dumb Corbyn is by refusing to come out against Brexit. The Cons are obviously pro-Brexit, yet they're basically expelling a large number of party members who are anti-Brexit. If Labour branded itself as anti-Brexit they'd get a massive surge of support from these types of conservatives. Corbyn seems to be catering to the 1% of Labourites who hate the EU because it's too capitalist or something. Even the Lib Dems are basically committing suicide to try and get Boris out.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2019, 04:17:26 pm »
Corbyn isn’t dumb for not trying to pander to ex conservatives who were kicked out by Johnson.

All he’d end up getting is right wing labour politicians who would vote conservative on almost every issue that comes before them...essentially a pro corporate, pro war and anti progressive group that would have an effect on party and parliament policy.

I’d rather have Corbyn’s principled and organic version of progressive politics thank you very much. He doesn’t need to pander and push for something he himself doesn’t believe in...there are already plenty of slimy politicians for that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:57:07 pm by waygo0k »

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #225 on: December 12, 2019, 04:53:48 pm »
Do you remember the UK politicians expenses scandal back in 2009? Euro MPs literally couldn't understand what the fuss was about, I heard from an EP in Brussels at the time. 'Um, yes you live near London but claim for an extra house, vat iz ze problem with zat? Etc...And these are the guys you want to give over power to without any accountability?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 12:22:24 am by stoat »

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2019, 07:16:34 am »
Well, it's 8:09AM Korea time and it looks like the Tories are set to win an
86 seat majority.  I don't like Boris Johnson, I think he should be in prison,
but at least it's over.

It's not a big surprise. Jeremy Corbyn can't even manage to shave.  How could
he possibly be PM.  Ho doesn't inspire confidence in the slightest.

Looks like Brexit is a done deal now.  The final chapter in the story of the
British empire and possibly the end of the UK as we know it.

• Cohort 2019
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90įS.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2019, 07:32:42 am »
Well, those voters are in for a rude awakening when they discover that Britain has agreed to follow EU rules for another year and Boris is completely clueless.
incumbo studiis

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2019, 07:43:37 am »
The final chapter in the story of the British empire and possibly the end of the UK as we know it.

Yeah, I see another Scottish referendum on the horizon ...
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2019, 10:32:22 am »
The final chapter in the story of the
It's already been over. The past is the past. Look to a future as an independent England that will carve her own way forward. It's the 21st century, large far-flung empires were barely a thing of the civilized 20th century, much less the 21st.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2019, 10:51:48 am »
The final chapter in the story of the
It's already been over. The past is the past. Look to a future as an independent England that will carve her own way forward. It's the 21st century, large far-flung empires were barely a thing of the civilized 20th century, much less the 21st.

Hey, we've still got Bermuda, Gibraltar and the Falkland islands!

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #231 on: December 13, 2019, 11:09:56 am »
Looks like the public didn't want a second referendum. Every time someone mentioned it on Question Time the audience booed.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2019, 11:33:25 am »
Looks like the public didn't want a second referendum. Every time someone mentioned it on Question Time the audience booed.

It doesn't matter how one feels about the outcome. The whole point of a goddamn referendum is to make a law or political decision.

BUT BUT

No. The people voted and the country HAS TO accept the decision. It can be argued that the referendum should have been a super majority, fair play. 60%+1.

It wasn't, The Cons have won and that it the final nail in the coffin. Leave the EU.

« Reply #233 on: December 13, 2019, 11:40:13 am »
And these are the guys you want to give over power to without any accountability?

What are you talking about?  We joined the EU in 1973.  What do you mean, 'give over power without accountability?', you're like 46 years too late with this kind of dumb comment.  Most of us, have only known the UK in the EU and feel that we haven't done too badly out of it.  And as for sovereignty?  Almost no country has power over their decisions be they with defence or economic, to name a couple.  What the fook will the UK do now?  Join with trump and his shitshow?  Jesus help us.  What about Brits living abroad?  Pensions?  Stuff like that, do you think Johnson gives two shits about that?  Of course he doesn't, he a fooking arrogant idiot who can't see two centimetres in front of his face. 

« Reply #234 on: December 13, 2019, 12:00:27 pm »
Corbyn isnít dumb for not trying to pander to ex conservatives who were kicked out by Johnson.

All heíd end up getting is right wing labour politicians who would vote conservative on almost every issue that comes before them...essentially a pro corporate, pro war and anti progressive group that would have an effect on party and parliament policy.

Iíd rather have Corbynís principled and organic version of progressive politics thank you very much. He doesnít need to pander and push for something he himself doesnít believe in...there are already plenty of slimy politicians for that.

LOL well thanks to your "principles" it looks like you're getting the biggest Tory majority since 1983. So now you'll get zero of what you want instead of a lot of what you want.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #235 on: December 13, 2019, 12:29:37 pm »

What are you talking about?  We joined the EU in 1973.  What do you mean, 'give over power without accountability?', you're like 46 years too late   

Ok so you think Boris Johnson is a fooking idiot, suppose i think the same about Ursula Von De Leyen head of the European commission. I didn't have the chance to vote for her and I sure as hell don't have any say in getting rid of her.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:11:35 pm by stoat »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »

LOL well thanks to your "principles" it looks like you're getting the biggest Tory majority since 1983. So now you'll get zero of what you want instead of a lot of what you want.

It's a shame. The British public have said they preferred to be lied to and prefer to be treated with contempt by the ruling and upper class.

They shall get what they asked for in abundance. People thought the 80s were bad? Ha! New additions to the British vocabulary: Preexisting condition, Medical underwriter, GoFundMe.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2019, 12:36:59 pm »
Ha ha, Swinson loses her seat. Her promise to reverse Brexit did't go down too well.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• seoul
« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2019, 01:14:42 pm »

It's a shame. The British public have said they preferred to be lied to and prefer to be treated with contempt by the ruling and upper class.

The opposite in fact. They decided not to be treted with contempt by the majority of parliament who wanted to thwart brexit.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2019, 01:15:50 pm »
Corbyn isnít dumb for not trying to pander to ex conservatives who were kicked out by Johnson.

All heíd end up getting is right wing labour politicians who would vote conservative on almost every issue that comes before them...essentially a pro corporate, pro war and anti progressive group that would have an effect on party and parliament policy.

Iíd rather have Corbynís principled and organic version of progressive politics thank you very much. He doesnít need to pander and push for something he himself doesnít believe in...there are already plenty of slimy politicians for that.

i guess it pays to flat-out lie, mislead the public whenever possible through fake news and advertisements, and only take part in interviews where you know you won't be scrutinised. apparently the public doesnt give a shit about any of this