Read 12986 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Re: Waygook's Unofficial 2nd Brexit Vote (The People's Vote)
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2019, 09:58:37 pm »
They are misinformed and in denial of the real economic impact, meaning lower income families and pensioners will foot the bill for what's arguably the worst economic decision a country could make with Italy, Spain and Greece teetering on the brink.

What on Earth is Britishness worth to you if you haven't got the money to heat your home?

You're the one in denial.

Investment has increased since the brexit referendum.

2017 was a record year for foreign investment into the UKs high-growth companies. A whopping 6b was invested over the course of the year, in 396 deals involving at least one foreign investor. This was 3.8b more than 2016.

What is perhaps even more striking is that even if we take into account the growth across all investment between 2016 and 2017, the proportion of foreign capital invested grew at a significantly faster rate.
https://about.beauhurst.com/blog/investors-from-abroad-foreign-money-for-uk-startups/
Catch my drift?

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2019, 10:00:41 pm »
Hold on now, dearest Eggs, isn't that only because of the whole Scottish Independence thingy and the Scots being fuming rightfully so over the fact that they are getting yet another thing they vehemently are opposed to stuffed down their throats by the English: Brexit.

This has got nothing to do with not being able to be English but all with discriminating against the Scottish Parliament and the will of their people being denied by the English.

No, the banning of the St George's flag is because some groups the establishment don't approve of have have adopted it  as a sign of nationalism. That doesn't mean everyday people shouldn't be allowed to hang it in the pub when there's a world cup match.

And if you are claiming that the British Empire is called the Evil Empire for no good reason, then you and I, Sir, are henceforth to be at odds with each other, and I shall regret our acquaintance immediately.  :sad:

Who's calling it 'the evil empire', you or some Guardian columnist you read? If you do a Google search the first thing you come across is star wars and Ronald Reagan talking about the USSR. There are no references to the British Empire. But sure, believe what you want if it makes you happier.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2019, 02:12:50 am »
Scots do, didn't you know that?
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2019, 02:14:39 am »
Boris Johnson has been ordered to appear in court over claims he lied by saying the UK gave the EU 350m a week..."It is concerned with one infamous statement: 'We send the EU 350m a week.'

"The UK has never sent, given or provided 350m a week to Europe - that statement is simply not ambiguous."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48445430

« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2019, 04:04:39 am »
I mean, isn't THAT mistake you made quite telling? ;D Oh my days, good Sir, please stop. You'll have me smiling mysteriously for weeks. :azn:

Well played sir.  :laugh:  If you're going to sit on your high horse, you'd better not make any mis-steaks.  Maybe he's had too much 'Cham E-Seul'.
[/quote]
A spelling error isn't the same as Ronnie's missed words and utter lack of grammar. Plenty of perfectly cogent people make spelling errors. On the other hand if you're habitually omitting words and your sentences lack structure in places, that's more of a sign.

« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2019, 04:08:46 am »
    The real test of the EU's benevolence is whether it will gracefully allow member states to pull out. Convince, cajole, and manipulate all they like, but at the end of the day, if they  let Britain out without disproportionate punitive measures, then it'll have proven itself as mostly benevolent.
We've already seen the attitudes of EU leaders towards states that drag their heels on joining or express the desire to leave. It's not one of reluctance, but instead a punitive, vindictive, contemptuous one. Not surprising, look at how EU supporters often speak about those who don't want to join or want to leave.

They are misinformed and in denial of the real economic impact, meaning lower income families and pensioners will foot the bill for what's arguably the worst economic decision a country could make with Italy, Spain and Greece teetering on the brink.

What on Earth is Britishness worth to you if you haven't got the money to heat your home?
At least you have your independence. Better to be cold and on your feet than warm and on your knees.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2019, 04:48:28 am »
At least you have your independence. Better to be cold and on your feet than warm and on your knees.
Please don't make light of the 1,7 million pensioners living in fuel poverty, some dying of the cold because they believed Boris's 350 million pounds would save them.

Sometimes your lack of world knowledge bonded with your autistic lack of empathy is beyond rude, it's properly inhumane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zkghXnfpFw
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 04:56:01 am by SanderB »

« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2019, 06:36:40 am »
Scots do, didn't you know that?

That's why they voted to remain part of it.

« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2019, 07:25:14 am »
I mean, isn't THAT mistake you made quite telling? ;D Oh my days, good Sir, please stop. You'll have me smiling mysteriously for weeks. :azn:

Well played sir.  :laugh:  If you're going to sit on your high horse, you'd better not make any mis-steaks.  Maybe he's had too much 'Cham E-Seul'.
A spelling error isn't the same as Ronnie's missed words and utter lack of grammar. Plenty of perfectly cogent people make spelling errors. On the other hand if you're habitually omitting words and your sentences lack structure in places, that's more of a sign.
[/quote]

_______________  drawing a line under this one....

don't go all trumpy on us demartian.  you made a mistake trying to call me out for a mistake.  a spelling error is the same as a grammar error.  own it and don't project your OCD posting on us at 4am.  come on.  you didn't quote me properly either at 4am, but it's okay, I'll let you off, as it's not important.   :-*

As a European, I feel that the EU is special.  You don't find that many countries that close together anywhere else in the world.  The freedom to travel and to work in another EU country (as I've done three times) is something to be lauded.  Out of the 28 member countries, I've been to 17.  The majority I've not been to, are in the east, but pretty much all in the west and north, I've been to.  Would I still have gone to those countries were it not for the EU?  Who knows.  It just makes travelling and working so much easier.   If I travel from England to Germany, I can disembark on my gate, get my suitcase and then go.  It's so hassle free.  This is just one of the things, I think that people take for granted with EU membership. 

Also, the grants available to EU countries is evident as you travel around. Go to Malta for example and they have a brand spanking new road through the island partly subsidised by the EU.  Before, it was a just a pot-holed track running through the country.  These infrastructure grants are a huge benefit to member nations.  Also voluntary/charity organisations get EU grants that would otherwise not be available.  My mum is member of one such voluntary group and she is dreading Brexit because their EU funding will be pulled.  There is just too much history and things are just too embedded for something like Brexit to happen.  Feel free to pick apart this, I really don't mind. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:26:46 am by Ronnie Omelettes »

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2019, 08:49:38 am »
What is English "culture" anyway? It seems to come under the umbrella of Britishness.

Scots have a culture. Same with the Welsh and Irish.

« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2019, 09:06:57 am »
What is English "culture" anyway? It seems to come under the umbrella of Britishness.

I don't think it's even that Savant.  It's just more of a stereotype now and something that is used by politicians and the media to play on someone's insecurities, hence Eggie's Sun article.  If you want to make a point about something avoid the Sun and the Daily Mail.

« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2019, 09:23:43 am »
It's so hassle free.  This is just one of the things, I think that people take for granted with EU membership. 
Seems you've taken for granted the right to hold a vote and not have that vote subject to punitive measures by government body that you happen to be part of and being subject to harshly punitive measures for leaving it. Seems like people take for granted the right to act in their interests and not the interests of Martin Schulz or Guy Verhofstadt.

I'd gladly wait in line to go through customs instead of seeing my country subjected to such treatment. I am not easily swayed by trinkets and cheap thrills.

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2019, 09:36:51 am »

I don't think it's even that Savant.  It's just more of a stereotype now and something that is used by politicians and the media to play on someone's insecurities, hence Eggie's Sun article.  If you want to make a point about something avoid the Sun and the Daily Mail.

Did you actually read that article? It was a pretty well balanced account giving both sides of the story and pointing out some organizations withdrew the ban.

Talking of stereotypes.

"
Agreed.  If I see someone wearing a MAGA hat, I'll automatically assume know they're an idiot  It's the same if I go to Greece and see a middle-aged guy, with a load of tattoos wearing a Union Jack t-shirt.  Not saying they're all cutns, just that first impression is a strong one when someone decides to wear something with a little bit of a message about who they are.  "

I'm guessing you  assume a guy flying the flag of St George during the World Cup is also a cutn so you wouldn't be too bothered about the ban.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:46:48 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2019, 10:21:31 am »
It's so hassle free.  This is just one of the things, I think that people take for granted with EU membership. 
Seems you've taken for granted the right to hold a vote and not have that vote subject to punitive measures by government body that you happen to be part of and being subject to harshly punitive measures for leaving it. Seems like people take for granted the right to act in their interests and not the interests of Martin Schulz or Guy Verhofstadt.

I'd gladly wait in line to go through customs instead of seeing my country subjected to such treatment. I am not easily swayed by trinkets and cheap thrills.

fine.  you're not European.  so it's just your opinion from afar.  cool.  whatever.

I'm guessing you  assume a guy flying the flag of St George during the World Cup is also a cutn so you wouldn't be too bothered about the ban.

As a rule, I don't click on crap newspapers to give them a 'hit'.  But I'd have no problem with someone flying a St George flag during the world cup.  There are different levels of association/stereotyping to this.  Displaying a flag in your home is your choice.  I don't judge Koreans for flying their flags during their bank holidays.  It's fine.  I just think these days the PC brigade/media go too far shoving this kind of bollocks down people's throats.  Obviously, they have to print something.  Sun readers would lap this kind of thing up.  As for my stereotyping of people wearing MAGA hats, they should know there are negative connotations for wearing such hats as it's an association with their ridiculous president and the current regime.  Same with my England shirt wearing Brits abroad, they're making a statement, and you can take it as you want.  Tattoo wearing people still can't go into some public baths in Japan.  Is it rational?  No.  It's up to each individual to decide. 

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2019, 10:33:02 am »

fine.  you're not European.  so it's just your opinion from afar.  cool.  whatever.

As a rule, I don't click on crap newspapers to give them a 'hit'.  But I'd have no problem with someone flying a St George flag during the world cup.  There are different levels of association/stereotyping to this.  Displaying a flag in your home is your choice.  I don't judge Koreans for flying their flags during their bank holidays.  It's fine.  I just think these days the PC brigade/media go too far shoving this kind of bollocks down people's throats.  Obviously, they have to print something.  Sun readers would lap this kind of thing up.  As for my stereotyping of people wearing MAGA hats, they should know there are negative connotations for wearing such hats as it's an association with their ridiculous president and the current regime.  Same with my England shirt wearing Brits abroad, they're making a statement, and you can take it as you want.  Tattoo wearing people still can't go into some public baths in Japan.  Is it rational?  No.  It's up to each individual to decide. 

I think the common perception in the UK is that this isn't fine (and I think you might agree).  I would say that people flying Korean flags outside their homes here are not looked down upon like Brits are.  It's purely a class thing.

« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2019, 11:23:34 am »
I think the common perception in the UK is that this isn't fine (and I think you might agree).  I would say that people flying Korean flags outside their homes here are not looked down upon like Brits are.  It's purely a class thing.

I'm not so sure it's purely a class thing, overt patriotism from the government and citizens is shoved much less down people's throats in England than it is here, given both country's different histories.  As it's not on show more often in England, when it is displayed, it tends to invoke negative attention for some reason.  I don't think in England we are more patriotic, it's just not drummed into us from a young age.  I went to watch some of the U20 World Cup in 2017 and my Korean friends seemed amazed that I didn't know anything past 'God, save our gracious queen..', because it was never played at school when I was growing up, or pretty much any where else I was. 

« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2019, 12:51:17 pm »
But you'll happily comment on Trump.

And I say that's perfectly fine.

« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2019, 01:02:08 pm »
I'm not so sure it's purely a class thing, overt patriotism from the government and citizens is shoved much less down people's throats in England than it is here, given both country's different histories. 
Given my experience...yes and no. There's less formal indoctrination it seems like, from what I've gathered. However, there seems to be this general patriotism and ethno-centrism that gets absorbed and tends to manifest itself, sometimes subconsciously.

Case in point, I've mentioned before the way some Brits use the term 'proper' to describe things that are just different styles of cooking or whatever. That kind of attitude, that YOUR way is the 'proper' way and the other ways are somehow alien or slightly inferior, is a definite kind of patriotism and has to come from some sort of indoctrination.

And by no means is this a British-only phenomenon. You go to pretty much every country and you'll find people who think the same way about certain things. But I think sometimes British and Americans, more so than the other ESL nationalities, tend to fall into this, although I'd say America's is more overt and indoctrinating than the UKs.

At the same time, we have to say that there isn't necessarily always something wrong with this. A healthy dose of patriotism has certainly pulled our respective chestnuts out of the fire on more than one occasion.

'God, save our gracious queen..', because it was never played at school when I was growing up, or pretty much any where else I was.
Not at sports? Not at the opera or anything? I'm American and we would sing it at various Shakespeare/Classical/Gilbert & Sullivan events as an opening. Never watched The Proms?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2019, 02:04:44 am »
I didn't know anything past 'God, save our gracious queen..', because it was never played at school when I was growing up, or pretty much any where else I was. 

Where have you been? Its played at international sports fixtures. The world cup. International rugby matches. The proms, the olympics, daily by radio 4 and radio 2, at close of programming by the BBC (until at least 1997). It is also the national anthem of Australia, Canada, new zealand etc.

Sounds like sheer laziness on your part.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:28:36 am by kyndo »
Catch my drift?

« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2019, 07:33:42 am »
Where have you been? Its played at international sports fixtures. The world cup. International rugby matches. The proms, the olympics, daily by radio 4 and radio 2, at close of programming by the BBC (until at least 1997). It is also the national anthem of Australia, Canada, new zealand etc.

Sounds like sheer laziness on your part.

:laugh:  You crack me up you.

When is the world cup?  every four years.
International rugby?  Haven't watched that since I was 10 years old.
The Proms?  Radio 2?  Radio 4?  Public school boy are we?
At the close of programming?  Why the hell would I still be awake at 1/2am?

There is nothing 'lazy' about not knowing the words to our crappy national anthem.