Read 12568 times

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Waygook's Unofficial 2nd Brexit Vote (The People's Vote)
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2019, 08:29:52 am »
Do you know who was Trump's margin of victory?
It was Putin, right?  :wink:

I think an EU-lite could resolve many of these issues without the sovereignty issues, and in a better structured sense. I think the EU, scaled back in powers and restructured could accomplish many of the things it sets out to do, as we see with the case of non-EU members. Of course there is the free-rider problem, but that is something that could be worked out.

I also think the UK is perhaps uniquely ill-suited to be a full member state given its different legal structure and constituent states and history as a much more global, maritime country.

Oh, the EU definitely isn't perfect, and could definitely afford to ease up on the bureaucracy a bit. An EU-lite might be a huge improvement, fer sure.
It bothers me that so many people look at things in a perfect-or-nothing kind of mindset: don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!
Abortion laws, gun control, immigration policies... there's a huge subset of the population that doesn't seem to understand that there are shades of gray that are infinitely preferable to either black or white.  :sad:

Also, in my opinion, people who go on about the EU being a massive threat to national sovereignty are exaggerating. Yes, your country will have to abide by additional guidelines (and it's not like international laws and restrictions are a new thing), but relax: nobody is gonna take away your flags!

Your country --> <-- The EU

Were you in the Hitler youth as well?
  :rolleyes:
"Godwin's Law: There is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that, when a Hitler comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever made the comparison loses whatever debate is in progress."

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:51:24 am by kyndo »

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2019, 09:45:34 am »
It was Putin, right?  :wink:
Yup. That evil schemer and his network of oligarchs made Hillary not campaign in Wisconsin and caused her to not focus her campaign message on the working class!

“You know, I won Iowa not because the demographics dictated that I would win Iowa. I spent 87 days going to every small town and fair and fish fry and VFW hall and there were some counties where I might have lost, but maybe I lost by 20 points instead of 50 points,” Mr. Obama told reporters Monday, ahead of his foreign trip to Greece, Germany and Peru.

Putin made Obama like fish!

« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2019, 09:49:39 am »
Really? Tens of millions of people who didn't vote before suddenly started voting, despite voter turnout rates being the same? How do you explain that? Are you really that deluded that you think millions sprung up out of nowhere to vote for populists? Do you know who was Trump's margin of victory? Hundreds of thousands of people in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, who had voted union Democrat for years and voted for Obama and shifted to Trump after the global financial crisis and the uneven recovery.

oh, you bolded something like you are shouting.  nice.  you are aware of SNS, the internet and the like as a modern day phenomenon for disseminating, for the most part, opinionated nonsense and lies?  you are aware that it has grown in the last decade so any Tom, Dick or Harry can access this purely by having a phone or a computer?  people don't canvass from door to door like they used to because it is not as efficient or effective anymore.  sure, in some really rural places it is still done, but it's much easier just to tweet/facebook your crap and it'll reach millions of people instantly.  this is including the dumbasses populists who don't fact check and take things at face value or it plays to their insecurities.  these are the populists who are too busy or too stupid to check what they are reading.  they just want 'quick fixes', which for the most part don't work. 

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2019, 09:53:25 am »
2 pounds extra for flowers not so bad, you say? Wow, the level of complete 0 business acumen! Old geezers believing everything used to be better in the  'past', shafting themselves and everyone else in the process.

''food tariff increase of up to 22%, particularly in dairy, meat, vegetables and fruit,”'
Not to mention that 70% of imports comes from the EU. What about medicines? Have you even begun to consider the underlying factors of a mere '2 pounds' price hike on 1 simple imported perishable item?

And to say printing money is no solution, where did you go to school? Trump University? What do you think the Fed. is for? 0% interest not enough of a signal to you? Oh, I see, you believe that nonsense that the economic growth is driven by 'real' hardworking small business owners, the backbone of our economy.

Case in point: British lorries regurgitating Brexit talking points learnt at Truckstop University.
At 1:56 he says what Brexit is really about: ...Because...ahem.. ..England's got too many people ...simultaneously admitting to the contrary:... there will be staff shortages...  :laugh:
Brexit's been about Poles, Romanians and what have you, all along.
https://youtu.be/_8sh_8-C6tE
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:24:04 am by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2019, 09:57:06 am »
"Godwin's Law: There is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that, when a Hitler comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever made the comparison loses whatever debate is in progress."

super irrelevant, but i saw this guy give a talk about intellectual property law and he introduced himself as the godwin's law guy.

edit: a word

« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2019, 10:11:38 am »

super irrelevant,

it's relevant considering cyanide's particular kind of 'posts'. 

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2019, 10:15:31 am »
asking my dad why he voted brexit: "damn immigrants. there's too many of them"

a few days later: "so, when are you and your korean wife moving to england?"

Your Dad was right. UK citizens who are legitimately married should be allowed to bring their wives back to the UK and there are too many immigrants. 300,000 a year coming in when we have a shortage of 4 million houses and massive strain on schools and the NHS. No need to swear at them though.

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2019, 11:07:06 am »
oh, you bolded something like you are shouting.  nice.  you are aware of SNS, the internet and the like as a modern day phenomenon for disseminating, for the most part, opinionated nonsense and lies?  you are aware that it has grown in the last decade so any Tom, Dick or Harry can access this purely by having a phone or a computer?  people don't canvass from door to door like they used to because it is not as efficient or effective anymore.  sure, in some really rural places it is still done, but it's much easier just to tweet/facebook your crap and it'll reach millions of people instantly.  this is including the dumbasses populists who don't fact check and take things at face value or it plays to their insecurities.  these are the populists who are too busy or too stupid to check what they are reading.  they just want 'quick fixes', which for the most part don't work.
The amount of spending by both campaigns should have largely offset each other. There is some research that suggests Trump's ads were more effective, but I'm curious as to correlation vs. causation.
https://www.vox.com/2017/11/1/16593066/trump-clinton-facebook-advertising-money-election-president-russia

Also, if you believe only one voting doesn't fact check and takes things at face value, then you are not part of the rational conversation. Both sides do that as leading research on human behavior, cognition, and moral values indicates.

Also, it's generally not a good idea to call other people stupid and uninformed when you write barely coherent posts and confess to being unable to read more than one book a year and maintaining your focus and absorbing the information within.

nothing to be proud of but I only read possibly, at the maximum, one book a year, if that.  I enjoy reading books when I get into them, but I'm just not sure why I don't do it more often,  I generally find exercising more important.  Also I find my mind drifts when I'm reading and I carry on reading but after a couple of pages I realise that I haven't actually taken in those couple of pages and have to go back.  No idea why it is like that, as the rest of my family read tonnes of books.  Like I said, nothing to proud of, just seems to be how it is.

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2019, 11:15:44 am »
2 pounds extra for flowers not so bad, you say? Wow, the level of complete 0 business acumen! Old geezers believing everything used to be better in the  'past', shafting themselves and everyone else in the process.

''food tariff increase of up to 22%, particularly in dairy, meat, vegetables and fruit,”'
Not to mention that 70% of imports comes from the EU. What about medicines? Have you even begun to consider the underlying factors of a mere '2 pounds' price hike on 1 simple imported perishable item?
Not everything is going to rise by 2 pounds and there are other suppliers...

You do realize that other countries aren't just going to sit on their ass and do nothing, right? They're going to see if they can capitalize on the British market and try and offer as competitive a terms as possible. And get this, because they aren't negotiating with a cumbersome EU and have to deal with 28 different agendas, they might be able to strike a deal much more quickly and more specifically tailored to the British market.

And to say printing money is no solution, where did you go to school? Trump University?
Where did you go to school? Robert Mugabe University? Weimar Republic Polytechnical?

The problem with printing money as a direct stimulus to consumers isn't that it doesn't work. it's that it works only too well.

At 1:56 he says what Brexit is really about: ...Because...ahem.. ..England's got too many people ...simultaneously admitting to the contrary:... there will be staff shortages...  :laugh:
Brexit's been about Poles, Romanians and what have you, all along.
Yes, some people supporting Brexit have stupid reasons for doing so. And some people supporting Remain have stupid reasons for doing so.

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2019, 11:23:43 am »
The amount of spending by both campaigns should have largely offset each other. There is some research that suggests Trump's ads were more effective, but I'm curious as to correlation vs. causation.
https://www.vox.com/2017/11/1/16593066/trump-clinton-facebook-advertising-money-election-president-russia

Also, if you believe only one voting doesn't fact check and takes things at face value, then you are not part of the rational conversation. Both sides do that as leading research on human behavior, cognition, and moral values indicates.

Also, it's generally not a good idea to call other people stupid and uninformed when you write barely coherent posts and confess to being unable to read more than one book a year and maintaining your focus and absorbing the information within.

nothing to be proud of but I only read possibly, at the maximum, one book a year, if that.  I enjoy reading books when I get into them, but I'm just not sure why I don't do it more often,  I generally find exercising more important.  Also I find my mind drifts when I'm reading and I carry on reading but after a couple of pages I realise that I haven't actually taken in those couple of pages and have to go back.  No idea why it is like that, as the rest of my family read tonnes of books.  Like I said, nothing to proud of, just seems to be how it is.

holy crap.  what an amazing insight.  so basically you're saying someone's intelligence is intrinsically linked to reading loads of books?  your inferiority complex and need to be better than others on a daily basis is really kind of weird.  it's a shame, really. 

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2019, 11:31:12 am »
holy crap.  what an amazing insight.  so basically you're saying someone's intelligence is intrinsically linked to reading loads of books?  your inferiority complex and need to be better than others on a daily basis is really kind of weird.  it's a shame, really. 
Maybe if you read more books, you might have better reading comprehension because I "basically said" nothing of the sort, though if you only have basic thinking and comprehension skills, I can see how you might make that mistake.

I said it is GENERALLY not a good idea to call other people stupid AND uninformed when you write barely coherant posts AND confess to being unable to read more than one book a year AND maintaining your focus and absorbing information within.

You're the one who called other people stupid and uninformed., thereby showing your inferiority complex and need to be better than others. I'm the one who said you probably shouldn't do that.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:32:58 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2019, 11:41:12 am »
Maybe if you read more books, you might have better reading comprehension because I basically said nothing of the sort, though if you only have basic thinking and comprehension skills, I can see how you might make that mistake.

I said it is GENERALLY not a good idea to call other people stupid AND uninformed when you write barely coherant posts AND confess to being unable to read more than one book a year AND maintaining your focus and absorbing information within.

You're the one who called other people stupid and uninformed., thereby showing your inferiority complex and need to be better than others. I'm the one who said you probably shouldn't do that.

you may have noticed I wrote 'on a daily basis'.  please read again.

also didn't you write something along of lines of people who can't sit tests are pathetic?

But if you can't handle the stress of a test, I'm sorry, but I don't know what to say. That's really pathetic.

please, continue to think you're better than, I'm okay with that.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2019, 12:06:58 pm »

upload a jpg
[
 there are too many immigrants. 300,000 a year coming in when we have a shortage of 4 million houses and massive strain on schools and the NHS. No need to swear at them though.

Indeed, just stab them. That'll teach them not to get up early and work a day's hard graft!
Us Brits be sitting on our bums all day cuz of 'em Poles. I'd like to get a job, I really do, but there aren't any because they all want those foreigners with their fancy diplomas. Why won't the government give me more money for one of them dips, all those immigrants have them, dun they. And us Brits get Nothing. Who needs those Polish nurses and immigrant brown doctors anyways, with Boris's promised 350 mill we'll be fine, we always have.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:26:47 pm by SanderB »

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2019, 12:53:35 pm »
Indeed, just stab them. That'll teach them not to get up early and work a day's hard graft!
Us Brits be sitting on our bums all day cuz of 'em Poles. I'd like to get a job, I really do, but there aren't any because they all want those foreigners with their fancy diplomas. Why won't the government give me more money for one of them dips, all those immigrants have them, dun they. And us Brits get Nothing. Who needs those Polish nurses and immigrant brown doctors anyways, with Boris's promised 350 mill we'll be fine, we always have.

How about just for once ditching the hilarious satire and actually confronting the issue of how the UK is going to cope with its population increasing by the equivalent of a medium sized city every year?  You don't think that might cause a few problems?

« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2019, 01:02:43 pm »
Maybe if you read more books, you might have better reading comprehension because I basically said nothing of the sort, though if you only have basic thinking and comprehension skills, I can see how you might make that mistake.

you may have noticed I wrote 'on a daily basis'.  please read again.
Yeah, that doesn't really address what I wrote. You were saying "on a daily basis" regarding me and having an inferiority complex and need to be better.

All I did was point out the hypocrisy of you saying that while calling other people stupid and uninformed, which you did.

something along of lines of people who can't sit tests are pathetic?

continue to think you're better than, I'm okay with that.
Wet brain acting up again?

I know, I know, probably a smartphone issue. Still...

« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2019, 01:53:12 pm »
So this thread is still basically one long snobbish attack on working class people.

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2019, 02:18:09 pm »
How about just for once ditching the hilarious satire and actually confronting the issue of how the UK is going to cope with its population increasing by the equivalent of a medium sized city every year?

I think if you did even the most basic research into what you are saying, then you would
know it is totally false. The immigrant demographic is younger than the average Brit
and actually consumes less public funding and contributes more, than average, to
government coffers.

Here is a very simple video for you:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYonSZ8s3_o&t=1s

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2019, 02:27:12 pm »
You know that I like you a lot Eggs? <3
So I shall answer your points of concern without satire, just this once.

Afaik we have been royally taken up the bumhole by Cameron and our parents and grandparents with no real feasible solution in sight. More houses could be built and as you can see from the UKgov website, the people that do live off job seeker's allowance are 'native' Brits. The Polish immigrants are the very people that keep the economy running.

I'm copy pasting that video! Stephen presents my arguments much more eloquently!
https://youtu.be/UYonSZ8s3_o

Stephen didn't mention my other concern and that is the spread of Saudi Salafism and their hate speech against us kafirs in their course books found in moderate mosques all over Europe. The only way I see we can fight their money is by allowing many more real moderate muslims in (for instance from Syria) and have a more culturally diverse melting pot. If our cities are becoming predominantly muslim then let them be filled with moderate, peace loving muslims and not the we have to kill every kafir- kind.

And of course all I want is just another 50 years of stability, then China, Putin or the Saudis can take over the EU for all I care. Burn that oil and pollute that planet to a crisp! Elon Musk will find us a new planet for sure! :azn:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:55:21 pm by SanderB »

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2019, 03:19:36 pm »
I think if you did even the most basic research into what you are saying, then you would
know it is totally false

I only quoted two facts as far as I can remember . That immigration to the UK was nearly 300,000 people last year

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics

And that the UK is short of 4 million houses.

https://www.housing.org.uk/press/press-releases/england-short-of-four-million-homes/

And a general observation that the NHS and schools are under strain

http://www.nationalhealthexecutive.com/Health-Care-News/ae-waiting-time-performance-hits-all-time-low-as-nhs-buckles-under-the-strain
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/07/migration-pressure-on-schools-revealed/

Does that simple video repudiate any of this?

« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2019, 03:21:39 pm »
I'd counter with Hannan's equally optimistic Leave speech. Why tie yourself to plodding Europe when Britain can go out and be lean and nimble on her own, as has been her historical character?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZRuIhtC9Mo