Read 11005 times

Re: Things that make you irrationally angry
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2018, 09:30:28 am »
Remember when The Simpsons shocked and offended our sensibilities rather than coddled to them?

Used to be funny too

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2018, 09:41:46 am »
Remember when The Simpsons shocked and offended our sensibilities rather than coddled to them?

Used to be funny too

Lisa killed the show. Even worse than jerk Homer. Strangely, the only worthwhile main character these days is Marge.

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2018, 09:44:13 am »

Used to be funny too

Ten years ago, when the UK government was promoting laws against 'hate speech', they insisted that comedy would not be affected. Ten years later, the speech police are all over everything and you can't even make a joke without being labelled an evil racist, sexist, homophobe, or any other kind of -ist or -phobe they can think of.

We've all seen actual racism and discrimination and it's pretty shitty, but not every joke or comment comes from a bad place. While I hope that Korea can get over its genuine racism, I also hope it doesn't end up like western countries with all the crazy political correctness.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2018, 09:52:08 am »
Geumjeong station.  Every time I take it over Sanbon as it's faster for work I swear I'll never go that route again. But, I do. It is the most poorly designed changeover station on the entire network.   

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2018, 10:15:16 am »

Used to be funny too
Has anyone here even seen a new Simpsons episode recently? I haven't, probably for about 15 years. Seasons 2-10 are the only good ones (absolute gold, though. Some of the best TV ever). There's now more bad Simpsons episodes than good ones. The real outrage here should be why they bother to continue making them.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2018, 10:42:27 am »

Used to be funny too
Has anyone here even seen a new Simpsons episode recently? I haven't, probably for about 15 years. Seasons 2-10 are the only good ones (absolute gold, though. Some of the best TV ever). There's now more bad Simpsons episodes than good ones. The real outrage here should be why they bother to continue making them.
I watched episodes here and there through the teens and early 20s seasons. The last one I ever watched was the Lady Gaga episode. It was almost as though it wasn't a comedy anymore. That was about 8 years ago.
2-10, as you say is absolute classic tv. Even 11-14/15 there is more good than bad. But it took an absolute cliff dive after that.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• mjc8500
  • Waygookin

• August 26, 2018, 05:27:23 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2018, 10:45:57 am »

Used to be funny too
I watched episodes here and there through the teens and early 20s seasons. The last one I ever watched was the Lady Gaga episode. It was almost as though it wasn't a comedy anymore. That was about 8 years ago.
2-10, as you say is absolute classic tv. Even 11-14/15 there is more good than bad. But it took an absolute cliff dive after that.

Geez, that Lady Gaga episode was like poison; I stopped watching after it as well. I still love the seasons 1~6 or so (some funny later episodes), but I can't watch it anymore. "Bart gets an F" in season 2 is still one of my favorites.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2018, 11:01:35 am »
I recently rewatched 2-10. Absolute genius. It's amazing how they changed, even from 11+. Seems that's when they started adding more celebrity cameos, too. Those were never funny. Did the writers change at that point? obviously something did. Probably something I should have researched

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2018, 12:33:09 pm »
I recently rewatched 2-10. Absolute genius. It's amazing how they changed, even from 11+. Seems that's when they started adding more celebrity cameos, too. Those were never funny. Did the writers change at that point? obviously something did. Probably something I should have researched

Sometimes I can't believe how good those early seasons are.

This is a really interesting read about the "fall" - https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

• walrus
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 02:45:36 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2018, 01:51:18 pm »
People holding their burgers in wrappers while eating them...

People who can't stay on a thread's topic...

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2018, 02:01:43 pm »
I don;t understand why this bothers people. For one thing, who cares?

For another it's cleaner and you don't get stuff on your hands and your burger holds its shape better. If anything falls out the other end, it is caught by the wrapper.

I won't go so far as to say not eating it from the wrapper is wrong, but there are zero reasons I can think of to do it the other way. If you have a good reason, please enlighten me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:03:55 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2018, 02:04:18 pm »

Used to be funny too

The Simpsons paved the way for animated, adult-oriented satire, but lost ground to South Park, Family Guy and their various offshoots and imitators. While they found new ways to shock and offend, The Simpsons more or less tread the same ground. The audience changed but the writers couldn't figure out how to adapt.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2018, 02:04:38 pm »
I won't go so far as to say not eating it from the wrapper is wrong, but there are zero reasons to do it the other way.

C'mon, this is the TRUE, proper way.

The joys of fauxtherhood

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2018, 02:22:43 pm »
Littering....althought for me that's not irrational it's totally unecessary and arrogant.

Pedestrian lights/Traffic lights in Korea. WHY do they take five minutes to change? I get so impatient waiting for them. In the U.K you press the button and it changes for you to walk, similarly traffic lights have a sensor at certain junctions so if there's nothing coming the other way the light changes and you go. It's such a minor thing but it bothers me so much every day  :laugh:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2018, 02:29:18 pm »
Littering....althought for me that's not irrational it's totally unecessary and arrogant.

Pedestrian lights/Traffic lights in Korea. WHY do they take five minutes to change? I get so impatient waiting for them. In the U.K you press the button and it changes for you to walk, similarly traffic lights have a sensor at certain junctions so if there's nothing coming the other way the light changes and you go. It's such a minor thing but it bothers me so much every day  :laugh:

Eastboud/Westbound advance green (18 secs) ---> E/W green light (30 secs), Half of pedestrians get to cross (east and west walkers.

THEN

Northbound/Southbound advance green. (18 secs) ---> N/S green light (30 secs), the other half of pedestrians get to cross. (North and south walkers.

REPEAT FOREVER.

I hate crossing the street here. Because I'll get to cross going north on the east side of the road. And then the lights will change and then the other northbound people on the west side get their turn. Just let the N/S traffic have a regular green light at the same bloody time. UGH
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2018, 02:57:01 pm »

For another it's cleaner and you don't get stuff on your hands and your burger holds its shape better. If anything falls out the other end, it is caught by the wrapper.

I won't go so far as to say not eating it from the wrapper is wrong, but there are zero reasons I can think of to do it the other way. If you have a good reason, please enlighten me.

In fact, A&W sells burgers in little bags to save you the hassle of oragami-ing a holder out of the wrapper.

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2018, 03:01:30 pm »

In fact, A&W sells burgers in little bags to save you the hassle of oragami-ing a holder out of the wrapper.

Burger bags are better. I just dont want to eat a burger without anything to catch everything.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2018, 03:04:14 pm »
What do you do when you go to a nicer burger joint that serves 'em up on plates, sans wrapper? Make something out of a napkin? What about at bbq parties?

Wait... you don't...    you don't eat them with a knife and fork do you?

shudder

« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2018, 03:05:11 pm »
What do you do when you go to a nicer burger joint that serves 'em up on plates, sans wrapper? Make something out of a napkin? What about at bbq parties?

Wait... you don't...    you don't eat them with a knife and fork do you?

shudder

if it weren't for people like you, i'd eat everything with a knife and fork  :cry: alas, i conform

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2018, 03:07:35 pm »
- PEOPLE TYPING in CAPS LOCK For NO REASON.

WHEN PEOPLE POUR IN MILK IN THE TEA BEFORE POURING THE BOILING WATER...
Also not stirring after pouring the boiling water in the cup....like what the heck!?
:evil:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!