Read 10759 times

Re: Things that make you irrationally angry
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2018, 08:06:09 am »
I think some students think I'm irrationally angry when I get upset and demand immediate end to:

when students find it acceptable to yell "TEACHHHHHERRRRR" instead of simply raising their hand. i mean, ****** hell, i assume korean teachers let them do it in their classes, and how it doesn't drive them absolutely insane is beyond me

Yup. Repeatedly screaming, literally screaming, at you for attention when you are 2 feet in front of them and helping another student drives me up the wall..and it happens every single day, every single class, lol.

Also, a few students singing, laughing, turning around in their seats and doing it repeatedly after you called them out on it. Having no consequences for most things makes me crazy.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2018, 08:43:49 am »
 :afro: How long you in Korea?

:police: Five and a half years.

general banter for three minutes

:afro: do you know ddeokbooki

>:( *In my head* What are the sheer odds that I've never heard of this???? The fak??????

>:( *What I want to say* Completely overrated

:police: Yes.

Can you imagine?????

How long you been in the US? "Oh, 5 years." Wow, do you know about the golden gate bridge????
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2018, 08:52:06 am »

>:( *In my head* What are the sheer odds that I've never heard of this???? The fak??????

Can you imagine?????

How long you been in the US? "Oh, 5 years." Wow, do you know about the golden gate bridge????

Only a year here and it already pisses me off. Can't imagine how it feels as 5+ vet  :huh:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2018, 08:52:45 am »

Can you imagine?????

Can you use a knife and fork?

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2018, 08:55:06 am »
I think some students think I'm irrationally angry when I get upset and demand immediate end to:

when students find it acceptable to yell "TEACHHHHHERRRRR" instead of simply raising their hand. i mean, ****** hell, i assume korean teachers let them do it in their classes, and how it doesn't drive them absolutely insane is beyond me

Yup. Repeatedly screaming, literally screaming, at you for attention when you are 2 feet in front of them and helping another student drives me up the wall..and it happens every single day, every single class, lol.

Also, a few students singing, laughing, turning around in their seats and doing it repeatedly after you called them out on it. Having no consequences for most things makes me crazy.

I have a rule to raise your hand and wait that we've went over many times and they still do it. I started just ignoring them and when they get quiet and raise their hand, then I pay attention to them. They seem to be catching on.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2018, 09:01:22 am »

Can you imagine?????

Can you use a knife and fork?

"Hello!

"Your English is very good."

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2018, 10:47:47 pm »
Coworkers talking shit about you in Korea like you can't understand them.  Thanks. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2018, 01:12:02 am »
People yell-talking in the hallway of my apartment at 3am.

Catch my drift?

• Chester Jim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2015, 02:17:12 pm
    • Arkansas
    more
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2018, 01:29:50 am »
CNN
Aka blathering
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 01:32:28 am by Chester Jim »
Bonzai!

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2018, 10:50:08 am »
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/apu-from-the-simpsons-being-written-out-after-claims-of-racial-stereotyping-a3973431.html

This sort of thing winds me right up.  Is there a more beloved character than Apu?  So sad.

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2018, 10:58:36 am »
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/apu-from-the-simpsons-being-written-out-after-claims-of-racial-stereotyping-a3973431.html

This sort of thing winds me right up.  Is there a more beloved character than Apu?  So sad.

Like the Mexican cultural appropriation this is a form of racism. Thinking Indians can't deal with someone immitating their accent as well as white people, like Scotsmen for example

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2018, 11:26:49 am »

Like the Mexican cultural appropriation this is a form of racism. Thinking Indians can't deal with someone immitating their accent as well as white people, like Scotsmen for example
Alternative rant: Now there isn't diversity!

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2018, 04:56:47 pm »

aren't all simpsons characters stereotypes, though?

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2018, 05:00:41 pm »

aren't all simpsons characters stereotypes, though?

Aren't all comedy characters?

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Korealand
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2018, 06:48:58 pm »
CNN
Aka blathering

+1.

CNN has become just awful. 

They are more an editorial opinion site than factual news. 

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2018, 07:30:46 pm »
Hold onnnnnnnnnnnnnn, Apu is being written off of The Simpsons due to racial stereotyping?????

Holy hell, remember when they went to Canada? And they played with Canadian stereotypes? Guess who was upset? NO ONE

But those overly sensitive, ***** Indians, I guess they're all upset. They're so bloody weak, you tell an Indian that you don't like their shirt and they crumple on the ground and cry like a little ****.

Wait............ Do I sound like an azzhole? I do, do I? Well, if you're for Apu getting written off, that's how I see YOUR thought process.

Why not write off Groundskeeper Willy? He's a walking stereotype. Professor Frink, he relies on the scientist/Nerd stereotype. Comic Book Guy?

Apu is brown though. And if you're brown, you must be so bloody weak minded that you can't handle a character like Apu.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2018, 07:32:07 pm »
Hold onnnnnnnnnnnnnn, Apu is being written off of The Simpsons due to racial stereotyping?????

Holy hell, remember when they went to Canada? And they played with Canadian stereotypes? Guess who was upset? NO ONE

But those overly sensitive, ***** Indians, I guess they're all upset. They're so bloody weak, you tell an Indian that you don't like their shirt and they crumple on the ground and cry like a little ****.

Wait............ Do I sound like an azzhole? I do, do I? Well, if you're for Apu getting written off, that's how I see YOUR thought process.

Why not write off Groundskeeper Willy? He's a walking stereotype. Professor Frink, he relies on the scientist/Nerd stereotype. Comic Book Guy?

Apu is brown though. And if you're brown, you must be so bloody weak minded that you can't handle a character like Apu.

I don't think it's the Indians who are upset.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2018, 07:46:20 pm »

I completely agree.

There's nothing worse than a white American/Canadian/Western person who feels the need to "protect" people of different colours.

Black guy gets shot in the back after shoplifting? Get upset.

White guy wears a sombrero? That, you can leave to the ACTUAL Mexicans. You look like an absolute knob getting upset about it ON BEHALF of Mexicans (Who are actually flattered 85% of the time)
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2018, 07:51:09 am »

I completely agree.

There's nothing worse than a white American/Canadian/Western person who feels the need to "protect" people of different colours.

Black guy gets shot in the back after shoplifting? Get upset.

White guy wears a sombrero? That, you can leave to the ACTUAL Mexicans. You look like an absolute knob getting upset about it ON BEHALF of Mexicans (Who are actually flattered 85% of the time)

Once I was in Mexico, and when my students gathered for a group photo, they threw a sombrero on me and gave me a ukulele to pose for the photo. One of them even commented jokingly saying "This is racist as hell," and posed with me.

That said, I saw many comments online by Indians saying Apu should STAY, as he was one of the most kind-hearted and positive characters in the Simpsons. This whole controversy is dumb and shouldn't have happened to begin with.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2018, 09:25:07 am »
Remember when The Simpsons shocked and offended our sensibilities rather than coddled to them?