Read 909 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
English-speaking hospitals: only in Seoul?
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:13:00 pm »
Hi, just wondering if it is possible to get good medical services in English outside of Seoul? In Seoul there are at least international clinics with English-speaking staff around, even if the doctors themselves don't speak it. But how about elsewhere? This is a factor when selecting job location.

I'm talking about smaller cities such as e.g. Busan and Gwangju, and in particular  Sokcho, Mokpo, Yeosu and Gunsan.

Catch my drift?

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: English-speaking hospitals: only in Seoul?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:13:12 am »
I can speak for some hospitals in Gwangju, Suncheon and one in Mokpo. It's a bit of a lottery.

75% of doctors I've been to have been able to speak English, to varying levels. This goes for clinics up to the big hospitals. The receptionists and nurses, not so much. The university hospital in Gwangju (Chondae?) I found to have excellent doctors, the 4 I dealt with had near native level English.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:29:34 am »
So far every hospital/clinic I've been to in and around the Cheongju area has been able to help me in English. Namely, the doctors themselves. The nurses not so much.
The World Ends With You

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 07:37:17 am »
This is the first time I've heard of Busan referred to as a "smaller city".

To answer your question, you should be fine. I even had knee surgery done in a local hospital in my provincial city. There are good and bad doctors though; you have to ask around.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 07:43:03 am »
I can echo the "Doctors yes, nurses and receptionists not so much" sentiment, at least for hospitals and clinics in and around Cheongju.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 10:58:32 am »
Doctors, yes.... The nurses there, none.  Which is a bit strange, as these days I'm helping my high school students with their university interviews and the students who want to be nurses have to have an English interview.

Perhaps the powers that be recognized the weakness and are taking corrective action?

I find that even in Seoul the nurses and other support staff have low English ability.

Since I have national insurance, I don't qualify for the international clinic translation service, (except at Sincheon University Hospital in Hanam-dong... They have a great system!)

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 08:33:16 pm »
Doctors, yes.... The nurses there, none.  Which is a bit strange, as these days I'm helping my high school students with their university interviews and the students who want to be nurses have to have an English interview.

Perhaps the powers that be recognized the weakness and are taking corrective action?

I find that even in Seoul the nurses and other support staff have low English ability.

Since I have national insurance, I don't qualify for the international clinic translation service, (except at Sincheon University Hospital in Hanam-dong... They have a great system!)

Korea has been trying to boost international medical tourism.

But staff just don't have the english skills.
Catch my drift?